Bed bugs on Detroit city buses

(4 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 15:48:58
    #

Login to Send PM

50 Detroit bus drivers have reported seeing bed bugs on their buses in the past year; still, city officials claim problem is not widespread.

Check out this Bedbugger blog post with video and links to articles. If you have a comment, please leave it on the blog post -- your login here will work there too. Thanks in advance for reading and commenting!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 15:50:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah. I hate to say it, but this is the least of the problems in the city. Google "Detroit EFM" if you want to make your head hurt.

I posted over there.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 15:54:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! I appreciate you posting on the article, A&S. The blog has a wider readership than the forums, and so it helps get your message out to more people. Besides, it avoids having two parallel discussions.

Mr. David Cain, this is to alert you that you are cited in the blog post. So please have a look when you get a chance!

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 19:24:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in another city and asked my bus driver about it. Most of the drivers are careful about talking since there is video/audio but he is close to retirement. He told me he wouldn't sit up front or in the back of the bus. Of course, I usually sit up front with my packages (hello packtite).

The homeless sleep in the back of the bus and it's the warmest place in the winter. People with laundry and packages tend to sit in the front seat where there is a little rack for those items on our city buses. The homeless also tend to ride the bus longer than your typical occupant...it's kind of an unofficial policy to let them ride multiple trips..especially in the winter..so they sleeep in back. He said there have been whispers from the drivers of the transit which serves the airport to downtown..that there are bugs on those buses and cars...

It was an interesting conversation, since he is older. He wears shorts as much as possible and changes out of things in the garage. He started this not due to bedbugs, but wouldn't tell me why. The conversation started after one of the regular homeless guys sat up front and put all of his belongings on the seat across from me (bags, guitar case, one of those laundry/shopping carts)..I thought I saw some bugs crawling around the laundry cart but was probably wrong. It was 7 pm but that didn't make sense.

Per the driver, there are signs posted in the breakrooms stating not to bring anything in except the food/drink you plan to eat. It's because...this is so gross...there was urine and feces found on some of the bus drivers backpacks, lunch pails, etc. The drivers had been setting them on a break table. And, he has found cockroaches in the bag where he has his newspaper, lunch, snacks, etc.

I told him of recommendations to not sit on transit seats and he said they are told..for safety..to ask passengers to sit unless the bus is full.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,196 posts in 50,137 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69