(4 posts)
  1. janmichele

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 24 2017 8:57:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

My spouse and I recently moved from Baltimore directly after staying at a somewhat sketchy airbnb across the country. At the airbnb in question, we both were very itchy for the first night. I became very concerned, and checked the mattress the next morning. I'm not a pro, so it's quite possible I missed something, but I didn't see anything. However, there were black flakes that we could brush off the mattress that constantly reappeared for the remaining few days were were there. I was pretty much freaking out, so when we returned, we went straight to a laundry mat and washed and dried all of our clothing on hot. We placed our shoes and luggage bags in plastic bags and sprayed them with bug spray (although much to my chagrin, my husband did take a few hours to do this).

Anyways, we think we are fine. We start packing up our stuff to move and we notice a bug on the mattress. At this point, we had already wrapped it in yellow plastic so it was hard to see. For some reason, we don't take a picture. My husband (when I'm not there) squishes it through the plastic and he says it felt just like a fuzzy--it didn't crunch or squish at all, it just deflated a little bit. On the road, I freak out. We stop at a gas station, I crawl in the back and inspect the area of the mattress with a flashlight. I can't find it.

When we arrive to our new apartment, as a precaution, we take out all of our boxes one by one, immediately placing all the fabric into tightly sealed plastic garbage bags. We spray all wooden furniture with bedbug spray in the crevices and wash all dishes. We bring in the mattress last (which already had mattress encasement because of carpet beetles), but we are running out of time to return the truck, so we just take off the mattress encasement, mattress cover and wash and dry on hot. We put DE right on the foam and then between the mattress encasement and the mattress cover. We never bring in our metal bed frame and it goes straight to the dump. We also didn't have a couch or a boxspring, so we didn't have to worry about those. I sprinkle the baseboards in the bedroom with DE and also put some on the new wooden bedframe we order.

It's now a month later, and I've been inspecting the bedroom and looking at specks and haven't seen anything that I can positively ID as bedbug related. I've found a few red specks, but they might be food. Anyways, I was doing my more intensive check today and I did find very small black dots on the light wooden bedframe. However, they are rubbing away almost completely with water. Should I be worried? Is it mold? Should I spray the bedframe? I'm not seeing anything on the encasement. Also, we have airtight bins from the container store under our bed, do you think these can really keep any extra bugs out?

Oh also, I have been experience some "acne" on my back but I've never had a breakout there before which makes me worry. My husband has bad allergies and eczema, so it'd be hard to tell if he has bites.

Thank you thank you!

2. janmichele

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 24 2017 9:19:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd appreciate any help or advice. Here are some pictures. https://goo.gl/photos/8Wm31mjDruHv2KTRA

3. janmichele

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 24 2017 9:54:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Original story disappeared, here it is:

Hi,

My spouse and I recently moved from Baltimore directly after staying at a somewhat sketchy airbnb across the country. At the airbnb in question, we both were very itchy for the first night. I became very concerned, and checked the mattress the next morning. I'm not a pro, so it's quite possible I missed something, but I didn't see anything. However, there were black flakes that we could brush off the mattress that constantly reappeared for the remaining few days were were there. I was pretty much freaking out, so when we returned, we went straight to a laundry mat and washed and dried all of our clothing on hot. We placed our shoes and luggage bags in plastic bags and sprayed them with bug spray (although much to my chagrin, my husband did take a few hours to do this).

Anyways, we think we are fine. We start packing up our stuff to move and we notice a bug on the mattress. At this point, we had already wrapped it in yellow plastic so it was hard to see. For some reason, we don't take a picture. My husband (when I'm not there) squishes it through the plastic and he says it felt just like a fuzzy--it didn't crunch or squish at all, it just deflated a little bit. On the road, I freak out. We stop at a gas station, I crawl in the back and inspect the area of the mattress with a flashlight. I can't find it.

When we arrive to our new apartment, as a precaution, we take out all of our boxes one by one, immediately placing all the fabric into tightly sealed plastic garbage bags. We spray all wooden furniture with bedbug spray in the crevices and wash all dishes. We bring in the mattress last (which already had mattress encasement because of carpet beetles), but we are running out of time to return the truck, so we just take off the mattress encasement, mattress cover and wash and dry on hot. We put DE right on the foam and then between the mattress encasement and the mattress cover. We never bring in our metal bed frame and it goes straight to the dump. We also didn't have a couch or a boxspring, so we didn't have to worry about those. I sprinkle the baseboards in the bedroom with DE and also put some on the new wooden bedframe we order.

It's now a month later, and I've been inspecting the bedroom and looking at specks and haven't seen anything that I can positively ID as bedbug related. I've found a few red specks, but they might be food. Anyways, I was doing my more intensive check today and I did find very small black dots on the light wooden bedframe. However, they are rubbing away almost completely with water. Should I be worried? Is it mold? Should I spray the bedframe? I'm not seeing anything on the encasement. Also, we have airtight bins from the container store under our bed, do you think these can really keep any extra bugs out?

Oh also, I have been experience some "acne" on my back but I've never had a breakout there before which makes me worry. My husband has bad allergies and eczema, so it'd be hard to tell if he has bites.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 24 2017 10:15:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The images are out of focus but not bed bugs.

Clearer images will most likely be needed for an accurate ID.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081