Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

BED BUGS JUST FOUND- SCARED to SLEEP - PLEASE HELP!

(18 posts)
  1. Nicole120

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 0:16:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Worst fears confirmed tonight. Have tons of bites all over my body & found at least 4 bed bugs in & around bed. Found 1st bug over a week ago but wrongly convinved myself it wasnt a bed bug, which obviously just made things worse. Now im terrified of sleeping & spreading them to my car & to work Tomorrow!! I Saved one bug in tape for exterminator. Bagged up comforter, mattress pad & took pillows & stuffed animals off bed. I just moved to my apartment in Brooklyn a Month ago, now I have to break the news to my new landlord upstairs I have bedbugs. I believe they came in with box springs I ordered from a local furniture shop. Any suggestions for a reasonable pest company in Brooklyn? I can't afford big expense right now since I just moved last month. Again I am terrified of sleeping on the same mattress & boxspring tonight but I've read not to sleep elsewhere or risk spreading bugs. Begging the forum for any and all advice - please. I'm about to seriously freak out & truly appreciate your knowledge.

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 0:23:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear about your problem. It's late so get some sleep tonight! You can sleep in another room for the night, don't worry.

One night is typically not going to be a problem. When you leave the "infested" room for days and days that can pose a migration issue.

Best of luck!

3. Nicole120

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 0:27:33
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen, thanks so much for the reassurance. I will chance sleeping on my
    Couch tonight instead. Really hope I haven't already spread them to my car & to work. Thanks again.

4. bugtimeinnyc

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 1:04:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I am with you Nicole, it's so hard to get a good night's sleep knowing you're basically baiting the bugs. I keep forcing myself to stay up late, then collapsing into bed because I'm so tired. I don't want to take sleeping pills and can't lay still enough to fall asleep if I go to bed early - I get all crawly and am convinced the whole bed is covered, then get up to turn the light on and see I was completely making it up! So, for now, this is my method But after two treatments, I did find comfort in imagining the bugs crawling across the poison to get to me. At least that way, if they did get to me, they wouldn't stay alive much longer!

I think it also helps to dress for bed in a smart way. I decided early on that I would sacrifice my arms/feet and protect my legs - it's summer and I want to wear shorts/skirts without feeling like a leper! So I wear tight leggings down to my ankles with a tee shirt tucked in. That way, I at least know it's unlikely they'll bite my face/other awkward areas. You could even wear a 3/4 sleeve shirt so the farthest they can get are your wrists.

Wishing you luck getting rest - we should at least be happy that, while stressful, this won't last forever :]

5. Nicole120

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 1:12:11
    #

Login to Send PM

bugtimeinnyc, thanks for totally understanding where I'm coming from!! I actually sprayed around the bed & will spray myself with alcohol - I hope that helps until I can find an exterminator ( any recommendations for a reasonable one?) it's good to hear from people like you who have dealt with this & survived it! The bites on me are pretty bad. Great suggestion for sleeping in long leggings & shirts!! Going to try to manage at least a few hours of sleep - with the lights ON! will need to rest up in order to face my landlord tomorrow & give him the bad news!

6. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 1:47:55
    #

Login to Send PM

When you talk to your LL, please don't speculate where they came from. It's not important in NYC. There's no way to know if it's your new box springs or something you have nothing to do with. Hope you're resting!

7. Eve

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 1:52:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd stop spraying yourself with alcohol also. It won't kill any bugs because BB's don't hang around on the body when they're not feeding (which is most of the time). But more importantly it dries out the skin which can lead to minor bleeding. That would confuse the detection process because you'd have blood spots on the bed that have nothing to do with the bugs.

I used alcohol as an important part of my protocol but I understood that it is only a contact killer. It has no residual effects. Also be very very careful because alcohol is highly flammable.

Eve

8. Nicole120

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 1:54:53
    #

Login to Send PM

AshamedandScratching, thanks for that advice. I feel so guilty that I got the boxsprings from a local shop, however you're right - I will simply notify my LL of the problem right away. I am not able to sleep since I've just read that 70% alcohol & keeping the light on will not deter the BB. Gonna be a long night & longer day tomorrow..

9. bugtimeinnyc

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 2:29:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Another thing to remember (and which was sorta touched upon already) is not to jump to any "self treatments" right away. It's tempting to want to ACT when you first discover the problem - I know I was fighting myself because I felt so helpless and wanted to be active about the problem, but knew I needed to wait until our building's PCO gave us instructions. Once they gave us instructions (sort of a typed up checklist/list of things to do before the first treatment), I felt a lot better because I was actually doing something to correct the problem. The worst part of this whole thing for me - aside from baiting the bugs - was waiting around: for my first bed bug sighting after I had tons of welts (I react awful as well!) and had a "gut" feeling what was going on, for the landlord to make the appointment for treatments, for the treatments to happen, for the poison to work, etc. I went through a lot of inner monologues where I was like - "If you only lived in a house! This would all be your responsibility and you could choose the pace!" But I really couldn't - treatments need to be spaced evenly and, if you do anything before speaking with the PCO/learning how they operate, you could be doing more harm than good.

I hope that helps until I can find an exterminator ( any recommendations for a reasonable one?)

I also would wait to worry about this - chances are, your landlord has an exterminator that he has used before, feels comfortable with, and will want to use again. You can make a note to ask him that when you call - "Do you know what company you will be using?" If yes, then you're arming yourself with more info and slowly piecing everything together. If not, you can take a look at what's in your area/get recs/call him back with your input.

So anyway, hold off on the alcohol solution for now, as Eve said. Sometimes solutions like that seem to work, but they should also be accompanied with daily vacuuming, dusting of DE, laundering and bagging clothes, and the whole shebang. (Not recommending any self-treatment whatsoever, just saying that alcohol alone won't cure the problem - even though I know you know that.) Instead, try to sleep - just put your head on the pillow and close your eyes. Take deep breaths and sleep will happen. I guarantee you'll feel more positive and energetic about the problem when you've actually slept - it's only wearing your down if you sit around all night thinking about it!

10. Nicole120

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 9:58:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Eve & bugtimeinnyc: I appreciate your solid advice. I've had 3 hours of sleep with light on, and am holding myself together with threads right now while at work. I think I got a couple more bites despite the light being on. The bites are bad, I am extremely embarrassed & ashamed,
    And afraid to tell ANYONE aside from my LL. I had to leave him a message this morning & I'm getting anxious the more time that passes by. I have not had a chance to launder my clothes yet. I'm unsure if I need to launder the sheets, pillows, and then throw away my silk comforter? Or do I need to launder & bag EVERYTHING in my bedroom: clothes in closets,
    Drawers, in bags & travel bags on my floor?? This is so unbelievable overwhelming and stressful. And the additional looming expense for this could not come at a worse time. I do not know yet if my LL will pay for exterminating. I just moved & was getting settled in my lovely new home & now this. BTW, I'm in a Brownstone building. Trying not to start crying hysterically at work. I have a new, high visibility role at my new job & cant let this show or affect my work. Sounds silly, but I feel like they're crawling on me & in my hair while I'm at work & don't want them to spread. I know you have all been through this, your advice is about the only thing keeping me sane right now.

11. Nicole120

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 15:24:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Please help.. Seriously going to lose it soon still waiting for landlord. Also have some professional events scheduled this week does this mean I should not attend? And should I stay away from the gym for fear of spreading BBs? Do I launder & bag just bedclothes or EVERY article of clothing in my entire room??

12. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 15:29:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Look into a packtite. Most things can be decon-ed that way and it will allow you to feel comfortable about going to work or events.

It sounds expensive, but you'll be able to use it down the road after the infestation to help prevent re-exposure.

13. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 15:30:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Give me a call and I'll walk you through some of the do's and don'ts unit you get treatment underway with your land lord.

516.761.1654 .. My name is John

14. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 15:32:08
    #

Login to Send PM

You are a gem, KQ!

15. Nicole120

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 15:45:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you AshamedandScratching & KillerQueen!!! KillerQueen I will give you a call around 5:30p est if that is ok. My landlord just responded & said they are following up with the name of an exterminator, which sounds to me like I will have to pick up the tab.

16. bugtimeinnyc

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 12 2012 0:24:56
    #

Login to Send PM

You can do this, Nicole! My "expertise" doesn't cover much because I'm just going through this like you, but I know you will make it out intact. Stay calm and patient - it's tempting to lose control and feel overwhelmed (and believe me, I had a couple sobbing sessions myself), but it's not the end of the world. You're just stressed because you don't know exactly what to do - you feel overwhelmed right now, but you won't feel like that forever! Especially, like I said, once you start following the PCO's instructions/working to prepare your home, you'll start to feel so much better. Hang in there!

17. Nicole120

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 12 2012 21:41:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugtimeinnyc I hope your situation is improving! This has been one of the worst weeks in a very long time. Spoke to the PCO today & hope to get a quote in the morning. Praying it's not an outrageous cost!! Vacuumed the matteress & box spring as much as I could. I did see a couple BBs. Tied the vacuum bag up into a garbage bag & placed in freezer. I'm on Benedryl to help relieve the enormous swelling fr the bites. Despite all this, hearing your positivity is helping me to stay optimistic I can beat this problem.

18. Bedbugcrazednr

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 25 2013 22:12:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Going though the same situation and can't sleep.

Did you ever get the situation resolved and how?

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

297,409 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams