Bed bugs in used car?

(4 posts)
  1. Shbek1

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2016 13:47:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Let me start by saying I was a manager at a hotel for several years and encountered several bed bug infestations there. I don't think I have a bed bug infestation but I can't 100% rule then out either. I'm hoping someone can at least point me in the right direction.

I purchased a used car on New Years Eve, and something has been biting me on my arms and torso in groups of 1-5 every time I drive it, bites mostly occur on my uncovered wrists. Once I literally leaned in on the passenger's side to grab the vehicle manual and immediately noticed a bite on my wrist that I know was not there before. Curiously, I have two young children who have been in the car with me every time I have been and (thankfully) neither have been bitten. My husband has ridden twice and driven once, also no bites. My bites are red, puffy, and itch, but they also completely fade within 90 minutes of me noticing them.

The car was pretty thoroughly detailed before purchase, but checking crevices, particularly around the driver's seat, I didn't see any of the usual signs: No fecal matter, no castings, no bugs. I'm at a loss.

It really doesn't sound like bed bugs to me, bites are too frequent, fade too quickly, no obvious signs of infestation. Please help! Does anyone have any ideas?

2. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2016 19:35:43
    #

Login to Send PM

If you're noticing "bites" just from reaching into the car and they aren't affecting anybody else, AND you haven't found anything... I'd almost wonder if you're having an allergic reaction to something--perhaps a product the car was cleaned with? I'm not an expert at all, but I think you'd see a bug biting you that quickly!

Or did the previous owner have a pet maybe?

Just a thought!

3. Shbek1

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2016 20:44:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you're right! Shortly after posting this I had my car keys in hand to get the mail, and noticed my fingers were itchy. I tried placing the keys on my left wrist and I had a hive within a few seconds. Weird! Must be from a cleaner used while detailing it?

It was driving me crazy that I was getting bites on my arms, you'd think I would have/felt seen something hopping or crawling on my arm, while driving, right?

So I thoroughly washed off the keys and aired out the car, I'll wipe everything down tomorrow and see if that fixes it. The keys no longer cause hives at least. I seriously feel like am idiot now, an allergic reaction never even occurred to me.

4. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2016 23:46:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Allergies are *weird*. Hopefully that solves the problem for you!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,413 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams