Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Bed bugs in son's room, but husband has bites

(82 posts)
  1. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 29 2017 12:12:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I have found positive proof of bed bugs in my teenage son's room. We found out that he spent the night at a friend's house back in Septemeber and that apartment building was treated for bed bugs a few weeks later. We're thinking the bed bugs hitched a ride in his overnight bag and that's how they got in the house. We can only see visible proof of bed bugs in his room.

However, my son shows no visible bites, nor do I. My husband, however, is covered with bites and appears to be having an allergic-type reaction, almost like hives, near the bites. We went to a dermatologist and he said it definitely appears to be bug bites. All 3 of us were examined and he only saw bites on my husband.

We have Terminix scheduled to come tomorrow to definitively tell us if it's bed bugs or not. I'm pretty sure it is bed bugs. I see them on the side of my son's mattress and there was a nest of them behind a felt pennant on his wall right next to the beg. The eggs & bugs in varying stages (I used a magnifying glass) looked like the pictures I found online.

How is it possible that the bugs are only in my son's room, but my husband is bitten all over? I can't find any sign of bed bugs any where else in the house. I stripped all the bedding in my son's room, put it in plastic bags and discarded it. The rest of the bedding & clothing in our home, I took to the laundromat and washed on hot water and dried on the hot cycle in the commercial dryers. Blankets, bedding, clothing, everything.

We are planning on buying the bed encasements from Terminix since we bought brand new mattresses back in 2013. Prior to knowing about the bed bugs, we bought new furniture a few weeks ago (still awaiting delivery).

Is it possible that my son & I are being bitten and just show no signs of bites?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 29 2017 21:10:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it possible that my son & I are being bitten and just show no signs of bites?

Yes. Make sure upholstered furniture is inspected as well as beds-- ideally, the entire home.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 29 2017 21:46:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, Nobugsonme, for the quick reply. I can't wait for the PCO to arrive tomorrow and let us know for sure if it's bed bugs. I'm cringing at the thought of how much it's going to cost to treat the entire house (3 bedroom home, plus living room and finished, fully furnished basement). However, we can't just ignore it or it'll only get worse.

I'll update with pictures tomorrow!

4. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 29 2017 22:26:38
    #

Login to Send PM

And make sure they do a thorough inspection, not just a quick look with a flashlight, they should be checking every Crack or crevice, every nook and cranny, under dust covers, inside the box spring if you have one, inside every crack and joint of the bed frame. Even the paper tags on the mattress and boxspring.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  5. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 29 2017 23:02:35
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski,
    I agree they should do a thorough inspection. How does one find such an inspector?

6. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2017 11:20:21
    #

Login to Send PM

PCO inspector just left. He did a VERY thorough job. Flipped over every box spring and pulled back the cover underneath to check the wood inside the box springs. Checked every ridge on the mattresses. Looked at the headboard seams (we have a fabric covered headboard in our room). Flipped over the couches & recliner chair, etc. Inspected the whole house. Even took a look behind the face plates in my son's room where the main infestation is located.

When he flipped the box spring over in my son's room, you could see a few live ones crawling around. Lots of dead casts and some eggs. They were mostly throughout the box spring, some were on the mattress. He only found 3 nymphs on the headboard in our master bedroom, so that explains why hubby has bites. We didn't see any other signs, other than the nymphs, but you could definitely see them on the back of the headboard fabric.

The living room furniture was clear, except for the recliner chair. It had signs of dead casts underneath.

So, they are going to do the Rapid Freeze treatment, along with chemical spray & powder. They are going to treat inside the walls as well as the rooms. We're having them do the entire house so we leave no stone unturned.

So, our instructions are as follows before treatment on Friday morning:

1. Move all furniture away from the walls, empty all drawers
    2. Take down cloth drapes in living room and send to dry cleaners, don't hang back up until after treatment
    3. Take all bedding & clothing in each room and wash/dry on hot and keep in sealed plastic bags until treatment is complete
    4. Take all pictures off walls and lean against furniture in center of room to be treated.
    5. Remove all face plates from all outlets in the house so treatment can be sprayed/dusted in to walls
    6. Vacuum using the crevice tool around the edges of the carpet & baseboards, vacuum all rooms and then wash the vacuum cannister in hot water when done (we have a Dyson bagless).
    7. Leave the house for 4 hours for treatment

Since we have a dog, I'm going to make an appointment for her to go to the groomers that day so she can be out of the house. My hubby & I have the day off on Friday, so we'll go to the movies, eat lunch and hang out at the mall or a coffee shop until we can come back home.

I want to thank everyone for this wonderful site. It was so helpful in helping me determine if we had bed bugs or not. I was really hoping it wasn't, but it was. At least we know what we're dealing with now.

We purchased the encasements for the mattresses & box springs as well, since it extends the guarantee on the treatment. They will treat and re-inspect a week later. If any bed bug activity is seen, they will re-treat. If no activity seen, they will re-inspect 30 days later and treat, if necessary.

I sure hope hitting them with the Rapid Freeze plus the spray & powder will get rid of them. I'll probably buy some PackTite monitors to keep an eye out for any signs of return activity.

We've got a lot of work to do in the next few days, getting everything prepped and ready.

7. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2017 12:32:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck. Sounds like you definitely got a thorough inspection - what general area are you located in?

8. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2017 13:07:56
    #

Login to Send PM

We're in Michigan

9. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2017 13:18:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck.

10. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2017 13:54:02
    #

Login to Send PM

zombug apocolypse - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Hi! I was just wondering if your encasements worked? Did you buy them to prevent more bedbugs or to keep the reaming ones contained (if there is any left), since I recently bought my mattress protector that does both these jobs and is waterproof too. I'd recommend it to you since it was an amazing experience for me!
    I got it cheap at https://goo.gl/R5lcaf

Don't know yet as our treatment will commence on Friday (Feb. 3rd). The PCO said we'll encase the boxsprings & mattresses to contain any bed bugs that may be inside them (particularly the boxsprings). It will also keep any others from getting back in there. We are using Terminix and bought the encasements from them as they were relatively inexpensive and the technician will put them on after treating everything first.

Can't wait to get these darn pests out of our home!

11. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2017 13:54:43
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 35 minutes ago  » 
    Good luck.

Thank you!

12. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2017 13:55:51
    #

Login to Send PM

So are you getting only one treatment? I thought with chemicals, it's usually two.

13. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2017 19:02:04
    #

Login to Send PM

They are doing the Rapid Freeze treatment plus chemicals plus powder. They re-inspect a week later and re-treat if anything is suspicious. Then they re-check 30 days later (and re-treat again, if suspected BBs are still around). He said they typically have to do another treatment at the one week follow-up. At least it's included in the price of what we paid ($1277 for the whole house plus mattress/box spring encasements). We have a 90 day guarantee on the treatment. I'm hoping & praying this works!

14. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2017 19:27:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck with the treatment and may you be bed bug free.

15. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2017 20:51:23
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 1 hour ago  » 
    Good luck with the treatment and may you be bed bug free.

Thank you! I sure hope so

16. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 31 2017 4:17:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Be sure to check the dog bed. My dog was getting bites until I isolated her bed.

This might interest you, it shows bbugs surviving the freeze treatment.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Videos

Account closed
  17. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 31 2017 9:26:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 5 hours ago  » 
    Be sure to check the dog bed. My dog was getting bites until I isolated her bed.
    This might interest you, it shows bbugs surviving the freeze treatment.

I am taking the dog bed to the laundromat to wash on hot and dry on hot. It's machine washable. She has a very dense, thick coat and has not shown any signs of scratching at all.

18. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 31 2017 9:44:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmmm... Could they treat with steam, instead? The video is enlightening.

19. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 31 2017 10:36:08
    #

Login to Send PM

We've already paid for the treatment and it's scheduled for Friday. There are pros and cons to both steam and freezing. We're not soley doing Rapid Freeze. They are also treating with chemicals and then leaving residual powder. They are also vacuuming before & after the freezing treatment.

We have so much wood furniture that steam would be too damaging. That's why we opted for the freezing.

20. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 31 2017 10:44:24
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like a solid approach using a combination of methods. I've never seen a freeze treatment in action, they've just started to offer that method locally in the past two years.

21. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 31 2017 11:25:35
    #

Login to Send PM

For us it came down to "do we want to get rid of all of our wood furniture or try the freeze treatment first?" It would be much more expensive to replace all of our wood immediately, rather than try this treatment first. That's a chance we're willing to take. Neither process is 100% guaranteed to kill 100% of the bed bugs. If they were, there wouldn't be sites like this.

I will be implementing passive monitors after treatment to make sure we aren't getting any re-infestation. All we can do is see what happens...

22. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 31 2017 15:15:15
    #

Login to Send PM

She has a very dense, thick coat and has not shown any signs of scratching at all.

Oh that's good. Mine is a Boston with thin hair and I worried her little bare tummy would get bites. She was being bitten on the top of her nose and on her front feet in the tender spot where the pads meet the leg. All stopped when I put her bed on a pet cot and isolated it from climb ups.

23. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 31 2017 16:16:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 51 minutes ago  » 

She has a very dense, thick coat and has not shown any signs of scratching at all.

Oh that's good. Mine is a Boston with thin hair and I worried her little bare tummy would get bites. She was being bitten on the top of her nose and on her front feet in the tender spot where the pads meet the leg. All stopped when I put her bed on a pet cot and isolated it from climb ups.

Awww, poor lil girl! Mine is a Belgian Shepherd. She won't sleep on anything elevated. I think it's from the years of training her not to get up on the furniture. She's almost 13 years old now and will only sleep on the dog bed if I put a blanket over it that is "her" blanket. Too funny!

I'm relieved that she hasn't shown any signs of itching at all. I keep up with her flea/tick treatments every month, so hopefully they help keep any potential BBs away from her.

My husband & I have been prepping the house for our BB treatment on Friday. I feel like we're never going to get it all done in time. So much work to do!!! It feels strange sitting in our living room without any drapes on the windows. I feel like the neighbors can look straight in to our living room.

When we went in my son's room (main infestation area). My husband saw live BBs crawling on the mattress after we tipped it over on its side. He decided he wanted to get rid of the mattress & boxspring all together. I told him there's no way he's dragging it through the house and spreading bed bugs every where else. He took the window glass out and chucked the mattress & boxsprings out through the window and in to the snow! I told him since he lifted all that with no plastic protecting it, he'd have to strip down and hop in the shower so I could wash his clothes in hot water & dry them. UGH! At least I don't have to worry that he dragged them through the house. He is absolutely freaking out about the BBs being in the house. Of course, he's the one having the bite reactions so he wants them out ASAP. I have to keep reassuring him that we need to follow the process and not accidentally spread them.

I don't think we're going to sleep peacefully until we know the treatment has worked!

24. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 31 2017 19:32:50
    #

Login to Send PM

He is absolutely freaking out about the BBs being in the house. Of course, he's the one having the bite reactions so he wants them out ASAP. I have to keep reassuring him that we need to follow the process and not accidentally spread them.

That sounds like a recipe for success... his determination and you making sure it gets done right.

25. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 3 2017 1:25:43
    #

Login to Send PM

The tech who is doing our bed bug treatment tomorrow called us. She said she's the bed bug PCO and that's her specialty. I was asking her what we should do with items such as shoes, books, etc. She did NOT want us to bag up these items. Instead, she wanted us to simply leave them in bins (no cardboard boxes) in the rooms being treated. She explained to me that if there are any bed bugs we don't see, they'll want to come out of hiding and feed and will have to cross the residual powder in order to do so.

I was getting worried we were going to have to seal up all of our things for 18 months.

Tomorrow (Feb. 3rd) is the big day. I cannot wait to get rid of these BBs!!!!

26. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 3 2017 22:23:53
    #

Login to Send PM

How did it go today?

27. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Feb 4 2017 13:07:51
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 13 hours ago  » 
    How did it go today?

I fell asleep from sheer exhaustion yesterday, so didn't have a chance to post. I'm an ICU nurse and had to work from 7 pm Thurday night to 7am Friday morning. The PCO was scheduled to arrive at 9 am, so I made an appointment to drop my dog off at the groomers at 8:30 am. When I got back, the PCO called to ask if we were ready. Well, I found out that my husband and son had not finished everything I left on the To-Do list while I was at work. UGH! So, the PCO couldn't arrive until 10:30 am.

When she got there, we went through the house together. I had a list of questions, which she really delighted in answering. She said people just usually say "when can I come back?" and then head out the door. We had everything double-bagged that was non-fabric items and stacked in the middle of the rooms. All the furniture pulled away from the walls and turned over, pictures off the walls, etc.

I had saved taking the faceplates off the walls in my son's room because his room was the only one with live BBs in it. When I took the face plate off the one that was near his mattress, you could see that there were tiny hatchlings there. UGH! Also, where they nested behind the pennant on his wall next to the bed, they left blood stains (like black/brown spots) on the wall. We had already wrapped up and thrown away the mattress & boxsprings that were in his room. She took at look at the dresser and his nightstand. She said the nightstand needed to be chucked. The dresser was fine. The bugs were pretty much confined to the area around the bed.

She did find bed bugs in our headboard fabric in the master bedroom, but only a few. No sign on the mattress or boxsprings. The recliner chair in the living room had them, but not the couches.

Since my son's room was deemed "ground zero", she did some extra treatments in there with a few different chemicals and really doused it. While you can only smell a faint smell of chemical in the house, if you open the door to my son's room, it still reeks heavily of chemicals.

She blasted inside the walls, too. She's also coming back next week to do treatment #2. Originally, it was just going to be an inspection and treat, if needed. Since she saw so many BBs in my son's room, she said it would be best to just re-treat and not take a chance. Then she'll come back in 30 days and see if we need another treatment.

She said she's never had a family so well-prepared for treatment and was very thankful for all the preparation we did. She is the "bed bug specialist" and only does BB treatment, so she was very knowledgeable and had said she's even seen this site before

We left to go wash every single piece of fabric, clothing, bedding & pillows we own. Cost about $100 at the laundromat. The worst unexepected fee was how expensive it was to get the drapes cleaned. We only had blinds in the bed room, but we have drapes in the living room. Didn't want to take a chance on any hitchhikers on the drapes since the recliner was next to them. Found a place that advertises as "sanitary cleaners" that treats items for BBs. Very expenive though, about $5 per pleat on the drapes. It thing it would probably be cheaper to get new ones!!! But, we already dropped them off, so can't change our minds now.

By the time we got done at the laundromat and finished all of our errands, it was after 6 pm. Picked up the dog and came home. By this time, I had been awake for over 36 hours straight. Pure exhaustion, both physically and mentally. Since the basement is finished (she treated down there, too), I just slept on the couch in the basement. I didn't feel like putting the beds back together.

She doesn't want my son moving back in to his room until after the 2nd treatment next Friday since she doused it so heavily. He spent the night with friends after the school dance last night. (We double checked everything he had that there were no BBs hitchhiking)

As far as treatment, this is what was done:

Rapid Freeze treatment on all mattresses, furniture, carpets, etc.

Gentrol IGR (S-Hydroprene 0.06%)
    Temprid SC (Imaidacloprid/Cyfluthrin 0.075%)

Alpine Dust (Dinotefuran 0.25%)

She'll come back next week and repeat the process. We've decided we're just going to put the beds back together, but leave everything bagged up and not unpack until after treatment #2 next week. No point in unpacking and re-packing, which was a LOT of work!

So far, so good. My husband is the one who has a terrible reaction to the bites and he did not wake up with any fresh bites, so that was good news.

On a side note, we had wrapped up all the furniture that was taken out of the house from my son's room. The garbage truck doesn't come until Monday. I had to stop a truck that came by when the people in it wanted to take the mattress & boxsprings. They were getting ready to load it in their truck and I said "don't take that". The guy said "why not? You're just throwing it away". I said "it's full of bed bugs, so I wouldn't take it unless you want to get infested". They dropped it immediately. I'm glad we were back home when that happened. I'd hate to think someone would have taken it to their home.

The PCO told us to never buy stuff at a yard sale. She said we should check our son for hitchiking BBs if he goes and spends the night anywhere. Told us how to check for BBs if we stay in a hotel, too.

Well, that's my long-winded version of our treatment.

TL;DR - Very thorough treatment with RapidFreeze, 2 kinds of sprays and residual dust. Washed bedding & drapes, expensive. Stopped someone from taking old mattresses.

28. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Feb 4 2017 13:37:56
    #

Login to Send PM

You really should write "Bed Bugs" on the items you threw out so that people won't take them. Spray paint in on the mattress and box springs.

29. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Feb 4 2017 14:05:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update - how you will soon be free of bed bugs.

30. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Feb 4 2017 15:57:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 2 hours ago  » 
    You really should write "Bed Bugs" on the items you threw out so that people won't take them. Spray paint in on the mattress and box springs.

Already done. We orginally had a sign taped on it, but the wind must have blown it off.

31. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 5 2017 8:21:46
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 18 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for the update - how you will soon be free of bed bugs.

Thanks, Faye

So far, no new bites on hubby. One day at a time...

32. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 5 2017 9:05:20
    #

Login to Send PM

We had everything double-bagged that was non-fabric items and stacked in the middle of the rooms.

Just curious as to what the plan is for those items?

33. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 10 2017 3:12:48
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 4 days ago  » 

We had everything double-bagged that was non-fabric items and stacked in the middle of the rooms.

Before we put those items into the bags, they were wiped down with Clorox bleach wipes and inspected for BBs. We've left them in the the bags this entire week as we await treatment #2 (which will be tomorrow, Feb. 10th)

UPDATE:
    So far, no new bites on hubby. I did see quite a few dead BBs in my son's room about 3 days after the first treatment. It looks like they tried to crawl out of the wall socket that was next to my son's bed. Looks like the residual powder killed them as they looked "dusty".

When the garbage man arrived to throw out the mattress & box springs we had wrapped in plastic, we went outside to lend him a hand. Through the plastic, you could see how many BBs were trying to escape the mattress. Thank goodness we wrapped that sucker tight!

34. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 10 2017 3:53:53
    #

Login to Send PM

SopranoKris - 29 minutes ago  » 

bugged-cdn - 4 days ago  » 

Before we put those items into the bags, they were wiped down with Clorox bleach wipes and inspected for BBs. We've left them in the the bags this entire week as we await treatment #2 (which will be tomorrow, Feb. 10th)
    UPDATE:
    So far, no new bites on hubby. I did see quite a few dead BBs in my son's room about 3 days after the first treatment. It looks like they tried to crawl out of the wall socket that was next to my son's bed. Looks like the residual powder killed them as they looked "dusty".
    When the garbage man arrived to throw out the mattress & box springs we had wrapped in plastic, we went outside to lend him a hand. Through the plastic, you could see how many BBs were trying to escape the mattress. Thank goodness we wrapped that sucker tight!

Glad things look to be going well. Quick question, I know you said you opted for the freeze treatment due to your wood furniture but I was wondering, did they give you the option for steam?

The treatment they are doing for you is about as close to a ipm approach as I've seen in MI. I don't necessarily agree with the freeze treatment or the chemicals they are using since it's been proven IGRs are quite literally pointless against bed bugs, bed bugs (especially in MI) are becoming very resistant to temprid(pyrethroids), and they should be using a better powder such as cimexa, but every other company I've talked to doesn't do as much as terminix is doing for you. The freeze treatment is the contact killer, temprid will be a contact and residual killer, and the powder is strictly a residual killer. Better than the treatment I got.

Hope it all works out for you!

35. Bappida

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 10 2017 12:27:13
    #

Login to Send PM

wow, sounds like you are on the right path indeed.

Quick Q - you said they treated within walls. Mind sharing what they did? Did they drill holes and puff powder into them?

36. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 1:12:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Bappida - 12 hours ago  » 
    Quick Q - you said they treated within walls. Mind sharing what they did? Did they drill holes and puff powder into them?

Good question. I know some companies have actually sprayed a foam chemical into walls.

37. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 13 2017 18:34:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Bappida - 3 days ago  » 

They had us remove all the faceplates from the outlets and switches on the wall and used those as points of entry to spray/dust into the walls. We aren't infested throughout the entire house.

38. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 13 2017 18:40:56
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE:

Treatment #2 was on Friday. Still no new, fresh bites on hubby so we were hopeful that the BBs were contained and killed.

That was until today (Monday)....

I went in to my son's room, which was where the infestation was located, because the PCO said to check for any activity and to call right away if we saw anything. I saw a BB on the back of the door, but it was dead. Then, I looked up higher and saw 3 live ones crawling down the wall towards me. I had a screwdriver in my hand, so I basically "stabbed" them. I also saw dead ones along the edge where the carpet meets the baseboards in that room. AARRGGHH!!! I can't believe we still have live BBs in there.

I called our PCO. She wants to come out and inspect to determine if she just needs to re-treat only that room or if she sees signs they're elsewhere in the house. We had just FINALLY put everything back together and back in to place, too. I feel like we've been living in upheaval the past 3 weeks.

I want the BBs gone, so if we have to re-treat the entire house again, we'll have to do it. I'm itching all over just at the thought that the BBs are still there. I know I don't have any on me, but just seeing them makes me feel like they're crawling on me. My hubby is getting hives again. I don't see anything that looks like bites on him, like he had before. I think he's just so stressed out about these damn BBs that he's getting hives worrying about them coming back.

39. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 15 2017 4:11:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh... that sucks. Chances are that the reason they were on the walls is that they were escaping the chemicals at the baseboards.

My suggestion is that after you prep this time, and she treats again, make it easier to prep again if you have to have another treatment.

40. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 15 2017 17:26:25
    #

Login to Send PM

It's definitely disheartening, that's for sure.

My husband now has bites in a line down his right arm and right side. They're either still in the head board in our room (mattresses & box springs have encasements now) or they're in the couch. I doubt they would be traveling from my son's room out to our room and going back because it's just too far of a journey for the BBs.

I'm extremely frustrated and feel like I just want to burn the damn house down!!!! The PCO has not called me back and it's been 2 days since we found the live bugs. I was going to go get some dry ice to make some CO2 traps, but my hubby is adamantly opposed because he feels we paid so much money to have the PCO treat the house that they should treat it again. I keep explaining that I'd like to make the traps just to see how many BBs we're finding so we have an idea of just how bad the infestation still is right now. AARRGGHH!!!!

41. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 4:20:23
    #

Login to Send PM

It is 4 AM and almost one week post treatment #2.

I fell asleep on the couch watching TV last night. I woke up, turned on the light and saw a damn BB crawling across the top of my blanket hem!!! I got up, grabbed some glass cleaner that has alcohol in it and sprayed it. Tried to put it in a Ziploc bag to show the PCO and it burst inside the bag. I can't feel any bites on me. However, I looked at my hand and the back of my right knuckle has 2 raised spots that look like mosquito bites. It doesn't itch, but I've never reacted to BB bites.

My husband is still showing fresh bites/welts on his skin each day. I'm just so disheartened that we STILL have these damn BBs in the house!!!!!!! Looks like treatment #3 is going to happen. Now we have to take the house apart again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AARRGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. anonabug

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 10:19:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel for you. This must be SO discouraging!

Please read what I posted in "success stories" part of this forum, about self-treating with Cimexa alone.

Now that you know that everything that Terminix threw at them hasn't worked, you have nothing to lose in trying Cimexa.

We ordered a 5 lb bucket and a duster/applicator. The reason that DDT eradicated bedbugs so well back in the 50s was that you could safely apply it to the mattress, and it had very long-lasting residual effect. The human on the mattress was the bait, and the bedbugs died after coming in contact with the DDT as they crossed to get to the human. Cimexa, properly applied, works the same way. If the bedbug has to come in contact with it to get to you, it dies within 48 hours. Better still, it returns to the nest carrying the Cimexa on its body, and that kills every bug in the nest.

You don't have to clean up. You don't have to prep anything. You WANT the bugs to have access to you, as long as they have to cross Cimexa to get at you. It has now worked for us in an infestation that was in three bedrooms, and also in a rental apartment.

If you try Cimexa alone, and it works, that will be proof that it was the Cimexa. And it's relatively cheap, and pretty safe.

Good luck. And if you do try it, please post. I posted four months ago about having used Cimexa alone, and I don't see that anyone else has posted about trying it alone. But I do see some stories about people having tried everything, which decreased but didn't eliminate the bedbugs, which we all know is pretty worthless, since they just come back, but then for good measure they applied Cimexa - and they were gone. But they don't know if it was the Cimexa alone that did it. In your case, if it works, you'll know it was the Cimexa that worked.

43. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 10:58:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted four months ago about having used Cimexa alone, and I don't see that anyone else has posted about trying it alone.

I've been told here to shut up about Cimexa. I can't say enough good things about the stuff but getting really tired of being told to shut up about it. I'm glad to see your posts!!

44. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 11:22:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 6 minutes ago  » 
    I've been told here to shut up about Cimexa. I can't say enough good things about the stuff but getting really tired of being told to shut up about it. I'm glad to see your posts!!

I think that's not exactly a fair assessment. It would be more accurate to state you have been asked to stop encouraging people to do things you are not qualified to advise them about. Its very different to what you have claimed.

In anonabug's case the lack of confirmation of bed bugs unfortunately makes the first case invalid, which is why confirmation before rushing into treatment is always step one. Otherwise last week when I told my Doctor I thought I had a brain tumor they would have rushed me into theater and operated that day.

When helping others its best to take things one step at a time and the first step with bed bugs will always be to confirm.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  45. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 11:31:01
    #

Login to Send PM

you have been asked to stop encouraging people to do things you are not qualified to advise them about. I

Yes, dangerous things like "get Cimexa" and "here are some links to studies".

46. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 12:03:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 22 minutes ago  » 

you have been asked to stop encouraging people to do things you are not qualified to advise them about. I

Yes, dangerous things like "get Cimexa" and "here are some links to studies".

I think we both know we are talking more about:

This is how you treat before actually confirming the situation

or

I recommend this, although you have not even tried it

I guess the polemical approach is one that has worn very thin over the years, I recently found someone who has posted the same fallacious statement about bed bugs 500+ times since 2015, it did not magically become correct with each posting.

The simple solution would appear to be to start making sure that things are confirmed correctly before drilling into how to deal with problems.

David

47. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 13:37:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure what all that means so I'll just reaffirm my love of Cimexa.

48. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 14:12:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 27 minutes ago  » 
    Not sure what all that means so I'll just reaffirm my love of Cimexa.

Thanks for so perfectly illustrating my point.

To help people you must first understand. What you have done above is admit that you don't understand and that rather than take the time to understand you will just carry on.

This pattern of behavior is in essence what derails the forum and I am not just talking about you. This happens from time to time and frankly the only people it does not help are the people who need help the most.

David

49. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 14:38:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Derailing = responding to your posts. If you weren't so anti-cimexa and making comments each time someone praises it then there would be no derailing. When it becomes available in the UK and you can use it and sell it then there will be no more Cimexa derailings, I'm sure. Because... Cimexa rocks.

50. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 16:27:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

As I have said previously you assumption is not correct.

I am unlikely to use some additional when it is not needed, the proof of not needed comes in the form that I don't currently need it. While you might perceive the world in terms of monetary gains as a huge driver it would serve you best not to apply that standard to everyone.

I am not anti cimexa, I am anti your believe that the whole world needs a good dusting, confirmed bed bugs or not. There in lies the huge difference. I have actually spent a lot of time understanding the technology and unraveling the myriad of confusing statements about silica aerogels.

David

51. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 18:54:22
    #

Login to Send PM

your believe that the whole world needs a good dusting,

"The whole world needs a good dusting." Ohhh I like that and stealing it as my motto. Thank you!

52. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 22:50:18
    #

Login to Send PM

After re-checking my son's room, you can see where BBs are still crawling around, TONS of them. We took the windows off the rail and tossed everything straight outside, carpet and all. Found out we actually have some gorgeous hardwood flooring underneath it. The BBs are still pretty active and move quickly. They don't look "sick & dying" yet.

The front door is in the living room, so we shoved the couch, loveseat and recliner outside as well. We tore the fabric, so no one would be inclined to pick up the furniture. After spotting the BB at 4 AM this morning on the couch, SIX of them crawled right out of the seams tonight. We just can't take it anymore. We're all itching with the heebie jeebies because we feel like they're all over us. We can't sleep, we can't relax. It feels like a living nightmare!

The PCO is coming on Monday, so we've started the task of moving all the remaining furniture away from the walls, removing the face plates, bagging up stuff that's going to the laundromat, etc. , in preparation for treatment #3. I'm going to insist on Monday that she leaves HEAVY residual powder around after spraying. We are sleeping in our rooms because the mattresses are encased and if they get up on the bed, at least they have to crawl through the poison that's already out there. I think with the living room furniture, they were just burrowed in so deep they weren't affectd by the treatment.

The PCO wanted to give it another week before treating again, but there's no way we can live with this many BBs still in the house. We'd never get a wink of sleep. I have to travel to Chicago in 2 weeks and I'm terrified of potentially bringing BBs with me.

Thank goodness we have a 90 day guarantee. If they have to treat our house every week for the next 90 days, then by God, I'm making them treat the house until they're eradicated. I'm hoping that a thicker application of residual powder will help. I just don't know what else we can do at this point, other than burn the house down...LOL

53. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 23:32:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 8 hours ago  » 
    Derailing = responding to your posts. If you weren't so anti-cimexa and making comments each time someone praises it then there would be no derailing. When it becomes available in the UK and you can use it and sell it then there will be no more Cimexa derailings, I'm sure. Because... Cimexa rocks.

David and I haven't exactly seen eye to eye, but to be fair, I'm pretty sure he is the main person helping yohoki who is using cimexa as one of his main treatment methods. David can be stubborn but he has a lot more experience than us, does this for a living, and I'm sure he's been dealing with people like us for quite some time. His tone may be a little too literal and not as understanding as it could be but he means well for the most part. Do I think he's on here for the sole purpose of helping people, no, he has a lot to gain from being on here whether he will admit it or not, but he does help a lot of people regardless.

54. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 23:35:50
    #

Login to Send PM

After re-checking my son's room, you can see where BBs are still crawling around, TONS of them.

That might be a good sign. I read that when bbugs are dehydrating from the dust that they will become disoriented and begin to behave abnormally, such as not hiding, wandering from the harborage, less aversion to light. Perhaps the fact that you easily see them now means they are dying. Something to ask your PCO.

I'm also wondering if something you put back in the room contained bbugs. Such as a computer, power strip, toy, etc. ?

You also see them on the walls... were all the wall hangings checked?

We took the windows off the rail and tossed everything straight outside, carpet and all. Found out we actually have some gorgeous hardwood flooring underneath it.

Is it sealed? Because all those cracks between the wood are hidey spots for bbugs.

After spotting the BB at 4 AM this morning on the couch, SIX of them crawled right out of the seams tonight.

Yikes! Did they spray the couch, dust it, or only use the freeze method?

I'm going to insist on Monday that she leaves HEAVY residual powder around after spraying.

What powder are they using? Thicker isn't always better if it means they avoid the treatment area. A thorough light dusting is best according to everything that I've read. Cimexa will cling to the bbug if it walks close to it so a light dusting is enough. That said, I went with thicker is better in some areas of my house because I wanted to be sure that if a bbug came into that area it was a determined little beast and would die for its efforts.

We are sleeping in our rooms because the mattresses are encased and if they get up on the bed, at least they have to crawl through the poison that's already out there.

Can you use interceptor traps to prevent climb up on the bed? Ask the PCO.

Hang in there! You were seeing really good progress the first couple weeks after treatment. This is just a bump in the road.

55. BBuster

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Feb 18 2017 9:53:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a similar story. I think your BB's are resistant to chemicals. Also never ever use Gentrol.
    I think continuing with chemicals is a waist of money. I also think continuing applying chemicals can become a health issue.
    Did you consider Cimexa? It is working for me but it took 5 days before noticing effect.

Good luck.

56. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Feb 18 2017 16:47:21
    #

Login to Send PM

BBuster - 6 hours ago  » 
    I have a similar story. I think your BB's are resistant to chemicals. Also never ever use Gentrol.
    I think continuing with chemicals is a waist of money. I also think continuing applying chemicals can become a health issue.
    Did you consider Cimexa? It is working for me but it took 5 days before noticing effect.
    Good luck.

Why do you say "never, ever use Gentrol"? That's one of the sprays the PCO used. She used RapidFreeze, 2 sprays and a residual powder.

We did not consider Cimexa because we paid Terminix $1,277 to treat our home, furniture and put encasements on the mattresses/boxsprings. That treatment includes residual powder.

57. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Feb 18 2017 17:10:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 17 hours ago  » 

After re-checking my son's room, you can see where BBs are still crawling around, TONS of them.

That might be a good sign. I read that when bbugs are dehydrating from the dust that they will become disoriented and begin to behave abnormally, such as not hiding, wandering from the harborage, less aversion to light. Perhaps the fact that you easily see them now means they are dying. Something to ask your PCO.
    I'm also wondering if something you put back in the room contained bbugs. Such as a computer, power strip, toy, etc. ?
    You also see them on the walls... were all the wall hangings checked?

We took the windows off the rail and tossed everything straight outside, carpet and all. Found out we actually have some gorgeous hardwood flooring underneath it.

Is it sealed? Because all those cracks between the wood are hidey spots for bbugs.

After spotting the BB at 4 AM this morning on the couch, SIX of them crawled right out of the seams tonight.

Yikes! Did they spray the couch, dust it, or only use the freeze method?

I'm going to insist on Monday that she leaves HEAVY residual powder around after spraying.

What powder are they using? Thicker isn't always better if it means they avoid the treatment area. A thorough light dusting is best according to everything that I've read. Cimexa will cling to the bbug if it walks close to it so a light dusting is enough. That said, I went with thicker is better in some areas of my house because I wanted to be sure that if a bbug came into that area it was a determined little beast and would die for its efforts.

We are sleeping in our rooms because the mattresses are encased and if they get up on the bed, at least they have to crawl through the poison that's already out there.

Can you use interceptor traps to prevent climb up on the bed? Ask the PCO.
    Hang in there! You were seeing really good progress the first couple weeks after treatment. This is just a bump in the road.

I don't think the original bugs in my son's room were completely eradicated. Anything that was removed was completely & thorough cleaned and double-bagged before taking it out. We put everything out the window, so as not to cross-contaminate through the house.

I believe we see BBs on the walls in his room because of the RapidFreeze treatment blasting them upwards. The highest they went prior to the treatment was behind a few framed pictures & a felt pennant that was hanging right next to his bed. They crawled from the bed and nested behind the pennant & picture frames. It wasn't until after the 2nd treatment that the BBs were up high in the corners where the walls meet the ceiling. It's like they're running away from the chemicals down below.

The floors are beautifully sealed, no worries there.

The living room furniture was supposed to have been treated with the RapidFreeze plus residual powder. We feel that since they were so over-stuffed, the treatment couldn't penetrate deep enough. Before we ever found out we had BBs, we had ordered new furniture. We're holding off on delivery of the new furniture until we're sure we've got the BB issue resolved. That's why we were OK with tossing out the furniture now.

I didn't know about heavy residual not being the right way to go. Thanks for letting me know.

As far as Interceptor traps, I measured the width of the wheels on our bedframes and I can't find any that would fit as they are fairly wide. We are going to buy some passive monitors to attach to the furniture. After treatment #3, I'm going to make some CO2 traps with dry ice just to see if I can lure any more out of their hidey holes. That way, we have proof that the BBs are still there. I will not rest until I see the monitors and CO2 are BB free for a lengthy period of time.

I want this to be over & done with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

58. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Feb 18 2017 23:30:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Search for "XL interceptor" on Amazon, there are a couple brands. Or you can create your own using food storage containers or bowls. (Or go au naturel as planned. ) And since you don't think treatment is working, you should probably find out what is the powder they are using.

59. BBuster

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 19 2017 2:21:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Why do you say "never, ever use Gentrol"? That's one of the sprays the PCO used. She used RapidFreeze, 2 sprays and a residual powder.
    We did not consider Cimexa because we paid Terminix $1,277 to treat our home, furniture and put encasements on the mattresses/boxsprings. That treatment includes residual powder.

If you search for info on Gentrol you will read it make things worse, as if the BB's start laying more eggs to keep the population standing.
    I did not research before I used Gentrol myself and the situation kinda exploded.

What does the residual powder contain? I think your PCO applied chemical powder. That is not the same as Cimexa.

I think when a BB survives one chemical treatment, it is no use of continuing chemicals. The BB is resistant and if you don't change tactique (cimexa, heating, freesing) they will continue breeding.

I'm writing all this from my own experience. I'm not a professional.

60. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 19 2017 4:43:33
    #

Login to Send PM

BBuster - 2 hours ago  » 

If you search for info on Gentrol you will read it make things worse, as if the BB's start laying more eggs to keep the population standing.
    I did not research before I used Gentrol myself and the situation kinda exploded.
    What does the residual powder contain? I think your PCO applied chemical powder. That is not the same as Cimexa.
    I think when a BB survives one chemical treatment, it is no use of continuing chemicals. The BB is resistant and if you don't change tactique (cimexa, heating, freesing) they will continue breeding.
    I'm writing all this from my own experience. I'm not a professional.

This is the treatment that was done:

Rapid Freeze treatment on all mattresses, furniture, carpets, etc.

Sprays:
    Gentrol IGR (S-Hydroprene 0.06%)
    Temprid SC (Imaidacloprid/Cyfluthrin 0.075%)

Residual:
    Alpine Dust (Dinotefuran 0.25%)

61. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 19 2017 13:05:36
    #

Login to Send PM

We are feeling so defeated today. This morning when I came home from work (I'm an ICU night shift nurse), I went in to the bathroom and sitting on the back of the door was an adult BB on the towel hanging on the back of the door. WTH???

So, then it dawned on me. When the PCO blasted the BBs with the RapidFreeze, they got blown up towards the ceiling in my son's room. That room was doused in chemicals. The BBs that ended up in the corner of the ceiling by the door squeezed through the crack between the door and the ceiling (more than a credit card width) and walked from that door jamb to the adjacent one, which is the bathroom. We found 3 adult BBs in the bathroom. One on the aforementioned towel and 2 of them sitting on the shelf with the folded towels. My husband double-bagged the towels and threw them away.

The BBs are trying to find other areas of the house which were not treated. The only direction they can safely go is towards the bathroom. Now I'm going to have to get the PCO to treat the bathroom when she comes tomorrow.

Will this ever end???? I seriously want to just leave everything behind and move away!!!! I can't sleep. When I do, I have nightmares about BBs crawling on me. ENOUGH!!!!!

Off to try to get at least 4 hours of sleep before my next shift starts....

62. buggygonn1

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 19 2017 13:41:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so sorry for your situation. Why are they not able to treat wood furniture. Has everybody thrown out their dressers tables chairs etc. I didn't get the impression that they couldn't be chemically treated? Am I wrong about this?

63. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 19 2017 14:19:45
    #

Login to Send PM

If the infestation has spread throughout the home, I'd like to hear some of the experts weigh in regarding a heat treatment.

64. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 19 2017 15:17:18
    #

Login to Send PM

buggygonn1 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I am so sorry for your situation. Why are they not able to treat wood furniture. Has everybody thrown out their dressers tables chairs etc. I didn't get the impression that they couldn't be chemically treated? Am I wrong about this?

The only wood we've thrown out is my son's nightstand and his dresser. His room is basically "ground zero", where the main infestation lies. His room had literally hundreds of BBs in it. They were embedded in the wood in the nightstand and dresser. The nightstand was the worst because that was was near his bed where he slept, right next to his head. The dresser was close to the foot of the bed. When we had our first treatment, the PCO said the nightstand was a lost cause and to toss it. She thought she could salvage the dresser, but after 2 treatments, it still had a ton of BBs, so we threw it out.

I feel like we must have some really resistant BBs we're dealing with because none of the ones we're seeing now look "sickly & dying" like the PCO said they would. They move pretty fast. The only abnormal behavior is that they're coming and crawling around during the day time. We've never seen this many of them at one time. Lots of teeny, tiny ones, along with big adults. They're so hard to see until you shine a flashlight on them. The wooden closet doors had a bunch of them in the seam cracks (those were tossed, too).

Garbage service is tomorrow morning and we've already let our garbageman know to take extra precautions getting rid of the stuff we bagged/wrapped up. Even with the furniture wrapped in plastic and "BBs" written on it, I still keep getting people knocking on my door asking if they can take the furniture out front. I had a family who didn't speak good English try to load up their truck. I had to use Google translate to say "no tome los muebles, tiene chinches". They dropped the furniture quickly.

65. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 19 2017 15:22:09
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 59 minutes ago  » 
    If the infestation has spread throughout the home, I'd like to hear some of the experts weigh in regarding a heat treatment.

My husband just said his idea of a heat treatment is to burn the house down...LOL

According to Terminix, they switched from heat treatment to RapidFreeze because they felt it was less damaging than steam. At this point, we're willing to try ANYTHING that might kills these bugs!!!

66. buggygonn1

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 19 2017 15:57:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh I see I just wondered why you didn't just heat the whole house. Maybe you explained in another post but this post got to lengthy to read. Hope you win in the end.

67. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 19 2017 16:08:48
    #

Login to Send PM

SopranoKris - 19 minutes ago  » 

bugged-cdn - 59 minutes ago  » 

My husband just said his idea of a heat treatment is to burn the house down...LOL
    According to Terminix, they switched from heat treatment to RapidFreeze because they felt it was less damaging than steam. At this point, we're willing to try ANYTHING that might kills these bugs!!!

Believe it or not there's a guy who burnt his house down cause of bed bugs... he's now in prison.

Im pretty sure bugged-cdn meant heating the whole house up to 130°F+ as far as heat treatment goes.

As far as the rapid freeze, there's a video on YouTube where bugs were able to live through that kind of treatment. Freezing bed bugs has been proven to be a difficult and insufficient way of killing them. Heat on the other hand is considered their Achilles heal and that's why steam can be much more effective.

I agree with you that the bugs you have are most likely a chemically resistant strain. Michigan is known to have very resistant bed bugs strains as far as chemicals go. If you Google "bed bugs temprid SC study" or something along those lines you should be able to find studies.

There's also a study out there that shows Gentrol IGR is almost pointless against bed bugs. I haven't read where it makes things worse, but the study I seen shown that it had almost no effect against all stages of bed bugs.

It didn't take me long to find these studies that's why I'm shocked that most the companies I've talked to in MI use chemicals that are either ineffective or not as effective as some newer chemicals out there. I'm surprised more companies don't use Transport GHP and Phantom and cimexa instead of other dusts.

Sorry you're dealing with all this, I know how you feel wanting to leave everything behind but a lot of the time that's an unrealistic option especially with kids. I'm moving and taking very little. Clothes treated in a dryer and other heat treated necessities but treatment just is working where I'm at and I can't allow my family of 4 to live like this.

Hope things start improving!

68. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 19 2017 20:26:09
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband and I just found out that we could have avoided this whole ordeal and just had the house tented and treated with Vikane. Why in the world doesn't it come up when you do a Google search on Bed Bug treatment????? I know it's much more expensive, but it would have saved all the headache & stress we've been living through since we found the BBs. AARRGGHHH!!!! I need to go find a punching bag and beat it up for a bit...oh, wait, it probably is infested with BBs!

69. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 19 2017 21:48:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I responded in another thread to your fumigation statement that I'll copy to here:

Do your homework when it comes to fumigation. The most effective fumigant used for bed bugs is Sulfur Flouride with the original maker being DOW industries, which labeled it Vikane. They've since sold it to Douglas Products.

A few things to keep in mind.

Nothing is guaranteed. If done right, it is one of the best treatment options out there, but there are plenty of failures out there even at the 3x concentration.

The concentration level for bed bugs was lowered a few years ago from 3x that of drywood termites to 1.9x based on a lab study done at a university, which was presented to dow, and then presented to the EPA which in turn lowered the label dosage for bed bugs.

Fumigation offers no residual so anything you bring back into the home after, could reinfest the residence. So it's advisable to take as little as possible and debug anything youre taking before leaving for the treatment.

Sulfur Flouride also can't penetrate plastic, glass, or metal so anything made of such materials and is enclosed could be problematic when it comes to fumigation.

Vikane can also only be used during the spring/summer/fall months when the ambient air temperature is at least 40°F for the whole treatment period, though the warmer the temp. the better.

Do your research on the company... it has to be done correctly or it will undoubtedly end in failure. If I remember right you live in MI. Well the only company in MI that is legally licensed to use Vikane according to its maker, Douglas products, who I contacted, is Rose Pest Solutions.

My advice would be to contact Douglas Products directly and get the number for their regional representative for your area. I talked to him on the phone and he could help. He also said Rose is the only company in MI that can use Vikane but he also said he may have a few companies in Ohio who may be able to come up and do the fumigation.

Also, keep in mind Fumigation is not cheap up here. You're most likely looking at anywhere between $7,000-15,000. If you lived down south, it'd be cheaper due to fumigation being used often for termites.

I looked into it for a while. But the cost, the fact they lowered the dosage, and the fact I only had one company to choose from, which didn't have much experience with it in the first place, are things that pushed me away from it.

70. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 8:30:05
    #

Login to Send PM

UGH! Thwarted at every turn

A PCO from down in Ann Arbor (but treats up here in the mid-mitten) called me this morning. He said he doesn't personally know any PCOs that do Vikane in MI. He also said the cost would probably run in the tens of thousands of dollars and would have to be done in the summer. UGH!

He asked what treatment we've had. I lised the products Terminix has used and he said "both of those sprays don't work on the bed bugs we have in Michigan", referring to the Gentrol & Temprid. He said since we've already spent $1,277 on treatment and today will be treatment #3, he would come out and treat with different chemicals (Crossfire) and a different residual dust (forgot the name) than what we've had. He said he'd only charge $500 since we've done so much already.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the other PCO companies I sent enquiries to yesterday. I will definitely contact Rose Pest Solutions and see what they'd charge for Vikane. Guess our joke of burning the house down is still the most economical...LOL

71. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 16:41:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Crossfire is one of the newer chemicals out there, I treated my rental with it and watched a bug crawl out from a crack and die, but we are still getting bit here and there. It's a great contact killer that kills bugs and eggs but also leaves a residual. However it's also part of the chemical group called Neonicotinoids which Michigan bed bugs have become very resistant to as well.

I have talked to rose pest solutions out of grand Rapids repeatedly and even had an argument with the regional manager there. I talked to them about having a moving truck fumigated and he straight up told me I'd be making a big mistake and that I should do a heat treatment on the rental. I had the "inspector" from them come and he was more of salesmen. Didnt look at anything even though i tried showing him and it seemed he was terrified of even being in the house. The heat treatment would have cost me $1700 but my landlord didnt want to do it and I wasn't confident with it in my situation and in the dead of winter anyways, especially from a company that treated me like that.

If I end up bringing them with me when I move, the first thing I'll do is a heat treatment cause if you catch it early enough, they can be very effective if done right.

I'm sure rose will suggest a heat treatment over vikane if they even do it on households which I'm not sure. But beware, if any other company says they can fumigate your house, they are most likely using something else besides vikane cause as I've said, rose is the only one in MI licensed to do so.

72. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 17:26:21
    #

Login to Send PM

If I end up bringing them with me when I move, the first thing I'll do is a heat treatment cause if you catch it early enough, they can be very effective if done right.

You could also do a prophylactic crack & crevice Cimexa dusting prior to moving in.

73. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 19:22:05
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 2 hours ago  » 

I'm sure rose will suggest a heat treatment over vikane if they even do it on households which I'm not sure. But beware, if any other company says they can fumigate your house, they are most likely using something else besides vikane cause as I've said, rose is the only one in MI licensed to do so.

Rose is coming out on Thursday to give us a quote for both heat treatment & Vikane. They said if we insist on Vikane, we have to wait until the weather is warmer. Too bad, because this week with the unseasonably warm 50/60 degree weather would have been perfect!

We had treatment #3 today and she sprayed Phantom and more Temprid, plus more Alpine dust. We got in to a bit of an argument over Gentrol. She was insistent that it works. I said our obviously living bed bugs are proof it isn't working. She feels we have a bigger infestation that she originally thought and that they are burrowed in to the baseboards and walls. We have an older house (built in the 50s) and have plaster walls, so we'd destroy the walls if we pried off the baseboards. I showed her all the eggs that have appeared on the closet doors. I think it's from the BBs running upwards to get away from all the chemicals down below and they're dropping eggs along the way. Not normal BB behaviour, but maybe all the chemicals are making them confused? She did spray up in the ceiling where I showed her they were hiding, as well as the bathroom. At least we had proof of BBs. I put every oneI killed in a ziploc bag in each room where they were found.

We'll see what happens...

74. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 19:38:51
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 2 hours ago  » 

You could also do a prophylactic crack & crevice Cimexa dusting prior to moving in.

Planned on it. Well my plan was to go in and caulk every Crack or crevice that I could that wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb or possibly get me in trouble with the LL, then dust cimexa in any other cracks or crevices and under the baseboards at the edge of the carpet. I was thinking of caulking after applying cimexa to every Crack but it'd probably cause problems with the caulk sticking. I guess I could dust, then wipe the outer surface of the Cracks, then caulk... hmmm...

75. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 20:30:54
    #

Login to Send PM

SopranoKris - 17 minutes ago  » 

mp7ski - 2 hours ago  » 

Rose is coming out on Thursday to give us a quote for both heat treatment & Vikane. They said if we insist on Vikane, we have to wait until the weather is warmer. Too bad, because this week with the unseasonably warm 50/60 degree weather would have been perfect!
    We had treatment #3 today and she sprayed Phantom and more Temprid, plus more Alpine dust. We got in to a bit of an argument over Gentrol. She was insistent that it works. I said our obviously living bed bugs are proof it isn't working. She feels we have a bigger infestation that she originally thought and that they are burrowed in to the baseboards and walls. We have an older house (built in the 50s) and have plaster walls, so we'd destroy the walls if we pried off the baseboards. I showed her all the eggs that have appeared on the closet doors. I think it's from the BBs running upwards to get away from all the chemicals down below and they're dropping eggs along the way. Not normal BB behaviour, but maybe all the chemicals are making them confused? She did spray up in the ceiling where I showed her they were hiding, as well as the bathroom. At least we had proof of BBs. I put every oneI killed in a ziploc bag in each room where they were found.

Which rose office is coming out? Detroit or Grand Rapids. If I did end up having a heat treatment done it would probably be through rose, but my biggest problem with theirs is that they don't apply any chemicals or dusts afterwards which is now considered standard practice with heat treatments. That's why if I had it done, I'd do my own chemical and dust treatment right after their heat treatment. Another problem I have with their heat treatment is their 90 day guarantee, which is a decent time period, but they would only come back and do a chemical treatment, not reheat. But honestly, they are the best option as far as heat treating goes that will service my area. There was someone on here that suggested a company that successfully rid them of bed bugs with a heat treatment, although they caught their infestation early. I think that company was Presidio Pest Management out of Lapeer so if that's somewhat in your area you could give them a call if you're considering heat treatment. If they serviced my area that's who I'd consider cause they treat with chemicals and dust after doing the heat treatment.

I know all about arguing with pcos about chemicals. I argued with roses regional manager a few different times and one was about chemicals and the chemical resistance bed bugs have developed, especially in MI. I offered to even show him published studies from renown entomologists that show said resistance.

As for Gentrol IGR, it is a growth regulator that is usually mixed with the main chemical and has been used to control the larvae or nymph stages of multiple different pests. From my understanding it controls the younger ones ability to molt and grow into the next stage and in turn causes them to eventually die. But there's a study out there that shows it has almost no effect on bed bugs at all lifestyles whatsoever. Here's the link to that if you're interested:

http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0812-insect-growth-regulators/

Whatever you decide, make sure you do the necessary research, after all it is your hard earned money going into it. Vikane and heat treatments are the two best options out there but they do fail often and have to be done correctly.

76. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 21:54:38
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 1 hour ago  » 

SopranoKris - 17 minutes ago  » 

mp7ski - 2 hours ago  » 

Which rose office is coming out? Detroit or Grand Rapids. If I did end up having a heat treatment done it would probably be through rose, but my biggest problem with theirs is that they don't apply any chemicals or dusts afterwards which is now considered standard practice with heat treatments. That's why if I had it done, I'd do my own chemical and dust treatment right after their heat treatment. Another problem I have with their heat treatment is their 90 day guarantee, which is a decent time period, but they would only come back and do a chemical treatment, not reheat. But honestly, they are the best option as far as heat treating goes that will service my area. There was someone on here that suggested a company that successfully rid them of bed bugs with a heat treatment, although they caught their infestation early. I think that company was Presidio Pest Management out of Lapeer so if that's somewhat in your area you could give them a call if you're considering heat treatment. If they serviced my area that's who I'd consider cause they treat with chemicals and dust after doing the heat treatment.
    I know all about arguing with pcos about chemicals. I argued with roses regional manager a few different times and one was about chemicals and the chemical resistance bed bugs have developed, especially in MI. I offered to even show him published studies from renown entomologists that show said resistance.
    As for Gentrol IGR, it is a growth regulator that is usually mixed with the main chemical and has been used to control the larvae or nymph stages of multiple different pests. From my understanding it controls the younger ones ability to molt and grow into the next stage and in turn causes them to eventually die. But there's a study out there that shows it has almost no effect on bed bugs at all lifestyles whatsoever. Here's the link to that if you're interested:
    http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0812-insect-growth-regulators/
    Whatever you decide, make sure you do the necessary research, after all it is your hard earned money going into it. Vikane and heat treatments are the two best options out there but they do fail often and have to be done correctly.

It's the Rose office out of Lansing. Considering Vikane shows a 99% efficacy rate, I'll take that over the much less successful rate of chemical treatment. Nothing is 100%. If it was, then we wouldn't need sites like this one

77. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 21 2017 6:04:02
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like the $500 PCO knows what he's talking about.

78. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 9:43:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Mp7ski: Rose came out today for the estimate. Not as bad, pricewise, as I thought it would be. He gave us 3 options:

1. Heat treatment + residual powder: would start at 7 AM and we'd be allowed back in the house by 4 PM same day. After heat treatment, they would dust with residual powder.

2. Vikane tent - the "traditional" Vikane whole house tent. We'd have to wait until the weather is consecutively 40F or higher to choose this option. Most expensive of the 3 options. Would have to be out of the home 3 to 4 days. They did say the do the 1.9X treatment. I asked what the price would be for 3X. They'll do the 3X, but it will cost more.

3. Vikane tape & seal - a newer technique for Vikane. Instead of a tent, all vent access to the home is taped and sealed, such as doors, windows, vents, etc. Can only be done if the house has vinyl or aluminum siding. Once house is completely sealed, Vikane gas treatment just like traditional. Much less expensive than the tent. Still would have to leave the home for 3 or 4 days. Still have to wait for warm weather.

The good news is that all the BBs he found today were DEAD ones. You can see where some have crawled out of the baseboards in my son's room. The residual that's down seems to be killing them.

He suggested we finish our treatments that we've already paid for with Terminix and then if we still have BBs after the 90 days is up, we can go with the Vikane or heat. That would put us at the end of May when the weather should start warming up (hopefully).

79. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 11:18:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a reasonable guy. Thanks for all the detailed info, I see new stuff! That helps people.

Best wishes with your efforts!

80. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 13:07:37
    #

Login to Send PM

SopranoKris - 3 hours ago  » 
    Mp7ski: Rose came out today for the estimate. Not as bad, pricewise, as I thought it would be. He gave us 3 options:
    1. Heat treatment + residual powder: would start at 7 AM and we'd be allowed back in the house by 4 PM same day. After heat treatment, they would dust with residual powder.
    2. Vikane tent - the "traditional" Vikane whole house tent. We'd have to wait until the weather is consecutively 40F or higher to choose this option. Most expensive of the 3 options. Would have to be out of the home 3 to 4 days. They did say the do the 1.9X treatment. I asked what the price would be for 3X. They'll do the 3X, but it will cost more.
    3. Vikane tape & seal - a newer technique for Vikane. Instead of a tent, all vent access to the home is taped and sealed, such as doors, windows, vents, etc. Can only be done if the house has vinyl or aluminum siding. Once house is completely sealed, Vikane gas treatment just like traditional. Much less expensive than the tent. Still would have to leave the home for 3 or 4 days. Still have to wait for warm weather.
    The good news is that all the BBs he found today were DEAD ones. You can see where some have crawled out of the baseboards in my son's room. The residual that's down seems to be killing them.
    He suggested we finish our treatments that we've already paid for with Terminix and then if we still have BBs after the 90 days is up, we can go with the Vikane or heat. That would put us at the end of May when the weather should start warming up (hopefully).

Wow, sounds like the Lansing Rose Office knows what they are doing. Wonder if they'd come and treat this far north. The Grand Rapids office is a joke. Ive heard of the tape and seal method but I'm not sure I'd be confident with that unless the infestation was on the lighter side with it mostly confined to furniture and bedding.

Funny thing is the GR office told me using anything but the 1.9x would be illegal... haha, then their Lansing office says that... shows how much of a joke the GR Rose is.

Well hopefully you won't need rose at all. He gave you good advise. Hope everything works out for you. I'm not going to be back on this site for quite a while, it's taking its tole on me mentally. I need to focus on my own problem and I have the necessary info to do so. Good luck!

81. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 15:45:15
    #

Login to Send PM

He suggested we finish our treatments that we've already paid for with Terminix and then if we still have BBs after the 90 days is up, we can go with the Vikane or heat.

If you still have bbugs then vacuum up the powder they used and dust Cimexa along wallboards, in cracks and crevices, and on mattress and frame. Then see what happens.

82. SopranoKris

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 6 2017 9:30:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 1 week ago  » 

He suggested we finish our treatments that we've already paid for with Terminix and then if we still have BBs after the 90 days is up, we can go with the Vikane or heat.

If you still have bbugs then vacuum up the powder they used and dust Cimexa along wallboards, in cracks and crevices, and on mattress and frame. Then see what happens.

We can't do that. If we treat on our own, our contract is void.

It's been one week since treatment #4 and we haven't seen any live bugs. I'm finding lots of dead ones in my son's room. Haven't seen any escaping to the bathroom since the last treatment either, which is good.

I'm holding off on our new furniture delivery until I can do the dry ice traps and they are clear. We are ordering passive monitors. Just been too busy traveling the last week. I am now paranoid going to hotels. We stayed in a really nice convention center hotel in Chicago and I practically took the whole room apart looking for signs of bugs. Before we left, I was incredibly careful with everything we brought with us. New bags, all clothes washed/dryed on hot, everything inspected with bright light, etc.

Here's hoping we are getting close to ending this nightmare and that we don't have to do any more major treatments. We're at the point now, if they come back again, we're going to do the Vikane gas when the weather is warmer because we can't keep going through living like this.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,690 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur