Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Bed Bugs in Sofa and Incompetent Landlord.

(9 posts)
  1. ljpizzo

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Feb 9 2008 0:08:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, after buying a mattress and box-spring cover and tearing apart my bed room I've discovered that they are in the Sofa. I've decided this because the only time i've ever seen them is on the sofa, and I spend more time on the couch than in bedroom (I take a nap at least every other day and I do my homework there and I watch TV). My question is how do I deal with this? I can't really buy a bedbug proof cover for both the couch, love seat and the armchair. Also I turned the couch upside down to find a couple rips and tears in the fabric on the bottom, I looked inside only to see about a billion different places they could hide. I have been using DE while I wait for the PCO's first treatment, But I don't see how I can create a barrier with the DE on the sofa.

That is a whole other story. The PCO first was going to come treat my apt last week wednesday... that didn't happen. I called the land lord and he said he got a new scheduled time for thursday at 10:00 am. Surprise surprise no one ever came. Called the Landlord again and he said "oh well I called him and he said he was running late because of the snow, he might still come today but he also might come tomorrow. BTW whenever he does come you and your dog need to be out of the apartment for 3 hours after he sprays" This is soooooo frustrating because it's the end of the day friday now and I still haven't heard from anyone! and What am I supposed to do if they come to spray while I'm at work and my dog is home alone? Because the Landlord said the week before that If i wasn't home he would just spray anyway. I even skipped class on Thursday so i could be here when the PCO arrived, so i could talk to him and ask him some questions. But I'm a full time student with a part time job, I really don't have time for people being incompetent.

So I guess until the PCO finally gets here I will continue to use the DE...

Any advice?

2. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Feb 9 2008 1:12:35
    #

Login to Send PM

can you put the DE in the cracks under the cushions, and dust on the underside of the couch? if there are holes on the underside, there's a decent chance that's where they are hanging out. it could be a temporary measure to hold you over until the PCO gets his s*** together. also if you don't need evidence for the PCO you could consider thoroughly vacuuming the living room furniture, to try and get some of them in the meantime. then bag and immediately toss the vacuum bag. if you need evidence of an infestation though, removing any bugs or signs of them might not be a good idea.

sorry to hear they are leaving you hanging. i can relate, i was left hanging for a full week when i first found out i had them.

3. Bedbug hater too

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Feb 9 2008 2:42:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Reading these posts make me feel less alone in my fight against our bedbug infestation. My landlord has repeatedly ignored my requests for a PCO visit for NINE months -until I finally filed a complaint with the County Dept. of Public Health. Unfortunately, nine months of bedbug bites and breeding have caused so much havoc in our lives. Everything I have read on this forum I have experienced too.
    Thanks to our landlord, we have hundreds of bedbugs in every room. We have finally had 2 treatments, one -last Friday and another this past Tuesday. No surprise, I am still being bitten. I have disposed of our mattresses and half of our belongings. Our PCO says he cannot recommend replacing the carpet or our long (floor length) draping curtains, both with live bedbugs on them. It is up to the landlord if they want to or not. Because the property owners are selling the building in a little over a year, they are going to do as little as possible. I can't move...everything we own has bedbugs in it. I have to wait for as many treatments as they will do. My kids go to 3 different public schools and I work at the largest hotel in our city. It seems so crazy that our landlord finally made an effort to treat our apt. and then after 9 months of this infestation -not remove the carpet that will almost certainly allow eggs to hatch and live bedbugs to hide. A vicious cycle. Stupid landlords.

4. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Feb 9 2008 10:58:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow this is off the topic of the original post but bedbug hater too I would think it illegal in any state to sell a building with a known infestation of bed bugs in it. If the new owners found out that this was the case I would think they would have a very good lawsuit on their hands.

ljpizzo I did what lil_bit suggested with a chair I had but if you have a PCO coming I think leaving it until they get there may be a better approach especially if they are coming out soon. It was almost 3 months until I finally got treatment I would have waited if I knew it would only be a week or 2 and not self treated until my place was inspected by the PCO.

Sorry to here your having so many delays in getting a PCO though. Ask when they are there to treat the sofa and also ask if you can use DE (or whatever else you are using) to treat in conjuction with their treatments. I even asked them to show me how to use the dusting powder just to be sure I was doing it right.

5. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Feb 9 2008 17:18:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbug hater too-

I'm sorry, I'm confused, why do you need permission to remove the drapes? You can take them down and launder them? Or are they part of the structure, I don't understand.

6. completelybuggedout

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 10 2008 20:06:16
    #

Login to Send PM

First thing to do is to cut the bottom "protective" fabric off the couch, loveseat, and arm chair giving the pco (whenever they do show up) access to the undersides of your furniture for treatment. That is the only way they will be able to treat the furniture if the infestation is in fact inside. Hope all goes well for you!

7. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 10 2008 21:13:32
    #

Login to Send PM

completelybugged has the right idea. I had forgotten that I did this with a chair that I knew I was getting bitten in. I wanted to see if I could find them inside of it. I didn't but had them spray it before I pitched it. It was an older chair that I did not care about anyway.

This is a very good tip - otherwise they may just spray the underside material or just the furniture itself which doesn't do much good.

8. ljpizzo

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 11 2008 18:52:26
    #

Login to Send PM

update: Yesterday (Sunday) at 4:00 I got a note slipped under my door from the LL saying the PCO is coming tomorrow (monday) at 12:00 and it gives a long list of things i need to do before they get there including washing and bagging all my clothes and bedding. Vacuum everything and move all furniture away from the walls. Well I'm pissed because I have to work at 5:00-10:30 and then I have class in the morning from 8:00am-11:00. That leave me like no time to get this shit done... But I try nonetheless because I don't want to put this treatment off anymore. I didn't get everything laundered and the vacuum jammed up with hair before I could finish vacuuming! The PCO comes over and says he is going to treat 3 times once a month. And of course I ask him if he could treat every two weeks instead. But he insists that the pesticide will still be working long after 2 weeks that it is a special long lasting pesticide. However, he said that if I'm still getting alot of bites after two weeks, he might be able to come out and treat again.

Now after a long day at class I come home to find Completelybugged's awesome advice... but it's too late!! I'm so bummed out! Why didn't I think of that? I guess I will for sure have it done for next time he comes.

This has been one of the most stressful days of my life because i'm finally home again and I have to put everything back together and I still have to go back to campus later to finish up a HUGE project for a class tomorrow that i've been slacking on because of this whole BB fiasco. I don't think my teacher will take Bedbugs as a good excuse for poor quality work (I'm a Graphic Design Major btw... so my teachers require impeccable work). to top it all off I can't seem to get any sleep at night any more because i'm freaking out about bugs. And when i do finally get some sleep, I dream about bugs. I had the weirdest dream last night, I dreamt that I picked up one of the cushions from the sofa only to find a giant Bug City. there was this big dragonfly type bug hovering over everything (he was like the father) then there was the mother bug laying eggs in the bug nursery where in another area were newly hatched baby bugs that were in little cribs and crying! All the while the adult bugs are arming with weapons because they see me (the enemy) and they they start to attack me and crawl all over my body and biting me!

Good grief!

9. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 13 2008 21:55:02
    #

Login to Send PM

bbhater,
    Have you put your building on the bb registry? I think you should,maybe a saavy potential buyer would look there.Or maybe you figure anyone would be better than the current owners? It just seems unfair that they pawn this problem off to someone else,but maybe anyone else would be more helpful to you.You decide.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,559 posts in 49,289 topics over 152 months by 21,600 of 22,025 members. Latest: eldina714, Eevee, cat