Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Bed Bugs in Philadelphia, need a PCO!

(12 posts)
  1. bedbugsinphilly

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Sep 8 2011 9:15:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to see if anybody has advice on a PCO in Philadelphia. I have contacted several, but have only found reviews on the ones based in Jersey (perhaps because Philadelphia is newer to the epidemic).

We found bed bugs two weeks ago in our attached row home in several bedrooms, though we have only found a few bugs. We've encased our mattresses, put all our stuff through the dryer, vacuumed, but we're worried we are losing the battle and want to hire a professional PCO. We are reaching out to the neighbors on each side to see if they are having problems as well.

I read through the FAQ on choosing a PCO, and most seem to have the right answers, but i'm wondering if anybody has good or bad experiences with PCOs in philly

I contacted Baxter pest control- they said they only use sprays, but would provide a 90 day guarantee after initial treatments

I also contacted Maximus Pest Control, they only do thermal treatment. I did not ask what technology they used, but they said they would heat the house to 130 degrees for 3 hours. From reading on bedbugger i'm concerned about damage to the home.

I've also contacted Aardvark Pest Management. They have a bed bug sniffing dog and look like they use a pretty integrated approach, but I couldn't find any reviews or people's experiences with them, except a couple mentions that they're a reputable company

I also spoke with Cooper and Action Pest Control. There was a lot of positive information about both that's been discussed in other forums, but it seemed like that was because they work in NJ and NY. We are leaning toward action since they will provide a 30 day guarantee even though we are in an attached row home.

Anybody have experience with any of the Philadelphia based PCOs, Maximus, aardvark, baxter or others?

2. healthimpacted

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Sep 8 2011 14:46:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Aardvark came highly recommended to me, but it took them a week to return my initial call. They were supposed to come do an assessment but I never heard from them again. From what I've been told, they have so much business that they can turn people away. I just wish they had told me that they didn't have time for me up front. After weeks of waiting, I got another recommendation for Patriot Pest Solutions. James uses an IPM approach, and I recommend Patriot (my saviour). I know they do work in Philly suburbs, but I am not sure about the city. I had a bad experience with Ehrlich, and would not recommend them.

3. bedbugsinphilly

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Sep 8 2011 16:57:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! I spoke with Aardvark and they said the soonest they could come would be two weeks. Given that we found the bugs two weeks ago already, that seems like to long to wait. I will check out patriot pest solutions!

4. bedbugsinphilly

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Sep 9 2011 9:56:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I just called Patriot and unfortunately they don't do the suburbs. I'm very nervous about choosing a PCO because we can't afford to hire another one if the first one doesn't work!

5. messy

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jan 13 2012 11:11:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

I am also looking for detection and/or extermination services in Philadelphia. If anyone has had experiences with any of them, please let me know - either on the forum or through PM. Bedbugsinphilly - who did you choose, and how good/bad was your experience with them?

Thanks!

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jan 13 2012 13:08:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Also try posts tagged "Philadelphia PCOs":
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/tags/philadelphia-pcos

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. pmullen

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 17 2012 11:22:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I work in the pest management field and you should always check referances, also ask what type of program(s) they offer ie conventional treatment, heat treatment or fumigation. I have found it is better to have options and keep in mind each one comes with a cost factor. i would also look for one that uses the team approach because it is going to be you and PCO working together to solve the problem.

8. itchy and scratchy

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 22 2012 11:47:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I've just recently discovered a few bed bugs in my home since i bought an old chair from a flea market in philly. I've been looking online for a well reviewed PCO and am thankful for forums like this. You have to be super suspicious when reading views. With online reviews you'll often find that they are posted by folks who probably work for the PCO. They never review anything else on the internet, except maybe another PCO company in another city close by. Be wary.

9. itchy and scratchy

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 22 2012 11:48:47
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsinphilly - 4 months ago  » 
    Thanks! I spoke with Aardvark and they said the soonest they could come would be two weeks. Given that we found the bugs two weeks ago already, that seems like to long to wait. I will check out patriot pest solutions!

I would LOVE to hear your feedback on Patriot and hope tha tyou're bed bug free?!

10. omgbbs

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 31 2012 10:16:52
    #

Login to Send PM

We used Baxter last year. We had 7 treatments and we still have a problem. We live in an attached rowhome and followed their instructions to the letter. We have been living pretty minimally for 10 months now, all clothing in bags, not dressers or closets, etc. I'll be writing a separate post about where we are with things, but I was really hoping that 3 treatments with Baxter would have done the job, but 7 takes the cake. And to still have them... sigh.

11. InFishington

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Feb 5 2012 16:59:57
    #

Login to Send PM

First time post, long time reader, gang.

I'm gonna make this story quick: I had a major bed bug problem in a two story row home here in Philly. Because my roommate and I weren't sure what we were dealing with (and because he's an idiot) we didn't make a move until October, although I suspect they were there as far back as August. Point is, we had the exterminator come in October. We did everything right. I cleaned all my clothes, vacuumed everywhere, trashed a bunch of stuff, we spread diatomaceous earth throughout the corners and everything. With everything bagged in plastic after being cleaned, the exterminators came twice in the span of two weeks (they called my request to come a 3rd time unnecessary), which I thought was a little odd, but they promised me a guarantee. Well, I should have gotten that guarantee in writing because here it is February 5th and I've seen two BBs crawling up my walls in a week! Nice while it lasted!

I called the bug guy on his guarantee and he basically told me off and hung up on me. He said I must have been "re-infested" and that that wasn't his problem, even though he told me his treatment would work for months.

So to my friends in Philly with whom I suffer, do not hire Foreman Exterminating Service.

12. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Feb 5 2012 21:13:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Perhaps try calling Glen at Newtown Pest.

See what he has to say.

I have no experience with this company but have seen him participate on the professional bed bug forums.

pb

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,646 posts in 50,006 topics over 154 months by 21,867 of 22,348 members. Latest: jaa5108, fightingback, Jenloaa