Bed bugs in "new" used car???!!!

(6 posts)
  1. hopeitsnotbugs

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Feb 9 2018 13:21:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I am literally going crazy thinking I may have bed bugs somewhere, so I hope someone can help. I purchased a new used car (2017) that I had to purchase as I totaled my car while driving in snow (so already a stressful situation). The day after I took it home, my kids were playing in the back, and later that afternoon my son complained of itchiness on the top of his feet and my daughter right under her buttcheek. It clearly looked like bites on my son's feet--I thought they were mosquitoes, and I actually thought I had seen something flying around resembling a mosquito earlier (it had been unseasonably warm). Well, a few days later I noticed some itchy spots around my waistband, then a few days later one on the inside of my thigh, one on my stomach and one on my lower back. These are also spots that seem to have gotten irritated due to wearing leggings and sweating while working out (especially the two right where my waistband hits) I also have developed what clearly is a boil on my neck, and am going to the derm in a few days to see what is going on. I have vaccumed out my car and put in a bed bug trap, but am not sure what the best way would be to treat the car. I don't think I can really spray too much without making myself sick. I also treated my sofa and around it with Proof as I think that's the most likely spot they would end up, and put interceptors on the bottoms of our leg beds (although am thinking that's not where it originated). Has anyone had experience with bed bugs in the car, and what would be the best way to go about this? THe car has black interior so it's really hard to see anything.

2. hopeitsnotbugs

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Feb 9 2018 13:27:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I should also add that I do home health part time (like 9 hours a week), and while I've never seen signs of bed bugs, it's possible I brought it from somewhere...although strange symptoms appeared after getting the new car.

3. Rose101

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Feb 10 2018 12:21:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I’m so sorry that you are dealing with all of that. I am dealing with a very recent B.B. issue after purchasing a used sectional. The people in this forum are very helpful. They will likely want to see photos of anything you find so keep that in mind. I am using a store bought dust made by Ortho that has been working. I’m sure you can powder the car with that.

4. F. Pazos

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Feb 11 2018 20:12:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Were all that bites in exposed areas or in clothing covered areas?

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  5. hopeitsnotbugs

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Feb 12 2018 15:34:02
    #

Login to Send PM

F. Pazos - 19 hours ago  » 
    Were all that bites in exposed areas or in clothing covered areas?

Most were in clothing-covered areas, some were in exposed areas. My son's--whose were definitely bites and who reaction to them was just like he gets with mosquito bites--were on top of his feet where he was wearing socks with a thick band. I guess it's possible he got them in the middle of the night when he wasn't wearing socks, and he had the reaction 9 hours later.

6. F. Pazos

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Feb 12 2018 21:54:55
    #

Login to Send PM

bed bugs in cars can be dealt in different ways, the concern would be if they moved to your home already... still, from your previous explanation and your reply, I really think that you need to be sure of the source of the bites before treating, because there is not a 100% security yet that you are dealing with a bed bug infestation yet... A professional inspection would be the first approach for you

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,528 posts in 46,818 topics over 143 months by 20,657 of 21,552 members. Latest: Ash225, eatenaliveindtla, Sionainn