Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Introductions

Bed bugs in new apartment. Trying to move now. Advice needed!!

(3 posts)
  1. gooch310

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Thu Mar 14 2019 9:50:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

A couple weeks ago I moved my family into a 3 story apartment. The second night there my husband woke up with red swollen bites on his body. Long story short, we found out the place was riddled with bedbugs. We immediately questioned the landlord who denied any prior knowledge. He had the carpets replaced, painted. We found a can of bed bug spray under the kitchen cabinets. He said the place had been vacant for 5 months and the previous tenant left behind a bunch of a their belongings.

This past week the exterminators came and did a heat treatment and pesticide application. The heat treatment was a two day process which kind of made me uneasy because I thought the whole building needed to be treated at the same time. They found bugs on every floor.

So here we are, two days after treatment. We haven’t seen any bugs yet, but we’re remaining vigilant. We want to move as soon as we have a place to go. I guess my question is how do we move without bringing any bugs with us? We would feel terrible if we infested another persons rental home.

We feel like the landlord knew about the bug problem before, and tried to control it himself. We are going to negotiate with him tomorrow about the money we have spent and our potentially infested belongings. If we can’t come to an agreement, we will seek legal assistance.

Anyone who has had a heat treatment, did it work?
    If anyone has any advice or has a similar situation that would be great.

Thanks for your time!

2. SalsaVince

Posted 4 days ago
    Thu Mar 14 2019 10:25:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Heat treatments are one of the most effective treatment methods out there if done correctly but as you said, the timing in between doing each room or part of the apartment is critical to preventing them from moving from unit to unit in between the treatments. The pros can tell you more about that. Regarding moving while having bed bugs, there are several previous threads on here that you should look up giving suggestions and moving services that are available to help with it. It's not recommended but possible if you're dealing with an incompetent or non responsive landlord. Sounds like a crappy situation to be in.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  3. gooch310

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Thu Mar 14 2019 11:20:17
    #

Login to Send PM

We don’t know if the bugs are still here or not, and we really don’t want to stick around to find out. I feel like I’m losing my sanity from lack of sleep, anxiety, fear. I’ve lost 10 pounds these last two weeks. I’m just so over this situation. Always inspect for signs of bed bugs when moving into a new place! If I would of known what to look for, I would have stayed far away from this place.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

286,253 posts in 47,652 topics over 147 months by 21,005 of 21,326 members. Latest: scaredincanada, BleuRoses, mab1017