(9 posts)
  1. lucgari09

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 2 2016 14:34:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    So about two days ago I rented a room at a hotel, upon arriving I set my things on one of the beds, my gym bag with my clothes, and my handbag. I got ready for bed but my pajamas on and set my other clothes on the bed with my bags. About three hours into being at the hotel room I started itching and notice bed bugs on the bed, I immediately put my shoes on that where on the floor, put my jacket on that was on the other bed with my other things, put everything in my gym bag and walked out! Before getting in my car I took everything out of my gym bag and handbag and shook every single item in the bag and also shook my gym bag and handbag before placing everything back in the bags. I also took my jacket off and shook it. I set my bags in the car and spent my night in my car. In the morning as soon as I got home I left my bag in the car I walked straight to my room with out touching anything grabbed some clean clothes went back to the laundry room and took all my clothes off I slept in and threw them straight into the washer, after I put my clean clothes on I walked out to the car to get my gym bag, I walked straight to the washer and threw everything in except for like things that I couldn't wash (hair brushes, deodorant, body spray, contact/glasses case, one pair of shoes, toothbrush and toothpaste) I turned the washed on, with hot water wash. After the washer was done I placed everything in the dryer to the hottest setting and dryer everything twice! To all of this I just want to know if there is any way that I could have brought bed bugs into my home!? Did I do everything correctly? Is there anything else I need to do? HELP PLEASE! I have been paranoid since then and haven't gotten any sleep!

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 2 2016 16:45:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Outside of anything traveling on your shoes, it sounds like you took enough precautions. Read up about how to inspect your bed, box frame and headboard. Keep sleeping in your bed and if you don't find anything within 14 days, you're in the clear.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 2 2016 17:28:15
    #

Login to Send PM

lucgari09 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hello,
    So about two days ago I rented a room at a hotel, upon arriving I set my things on one of the beds, my gym bag with my clothes, and my handbag. I got ready for bed but my pajamas on and set my other clothes on the bed with my bags. About three hours into being at the hotel room I started itching and notice bed bugs on the bed, I immediately put my shoes on that where on the floor, put my jacket on that was on the other bed with my other things, put everything in my gym bag and walked out! Before getting in my car I took everything out of my gym bag and handbag and shook every single item in the bag and also shook my gym bag and handbag before placing everything back in the bags. I also took my jacket off and shook it. I set my bags in the car and spent my night in my car. In the morning as soon as I got home I left my bag in the car I walked straight to my room with out touching anything grabbed some clean clothes went back to the laundry room and took all my clothes off I slept in and threw them straight into the washer, after I put my clean clothes on I walked out to the car to get my gym bag, I walked straight to the washer and threw everything in except for like things that I couldn't wash (hair brushes, deodorant, body spray, contact/glasses case, one pair of shoes, toothbrush and toothpaste) I turned the washed on, with hot water wash. After the washer was done I placed everything in the dryer to the hottest setting and dryer everything twice! To all of this I just want to know if there is any way that I could have brought bed bugs into my home!? Did I do everything correctly? Is there anything else I need to do? HELP PLEASE! I have been paranoid since then and haven't gotten any sleep!

Shaking out the clothing and items doesn't have much of an affect. Bed bugs hold on tightly and flatten themselves down when disturbed like that.
    In these 2 videos, holding onto metal and being banged around. They will have a better grip on cloth.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Video
    [+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Video

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 2 2016 19:38:27
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 2 hours ago  » 
    Outside of anything traveling on your shoes, it sounds like you took enough precautions. Read up about how to inspect your bed, box frame and headboard. Keep sleeping in your bed and if you don't find anything within 14 days, you're in the clear.

Once again bad info by Jim. Jim, do you have some sort of relationship with these bugs that you know something the rest of the pest control industry doesn't with regard to this 14 day count down?

Can't make up numbers when you don't know the size of the home. Where items were placed after entering the home. How many people live in the home. Are they going to carefully monitor and or inspect their personal spaces as well? How cold the location is ... and so on and so on and so on.....

Less is more.

For the original OP ... I'll respond later when I have more time. Sorry for the delay but Jim is posting bad info all over this site. It has to stop.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 2 2016 22:02:21
    #

Login to Send PM

The advice that you will find evidence in 14 days is not correct as KQ notes. Jim, plenty of people don't just see bed bugs walking around, and if they do, it can take a lot longer.

Bed bug monitors are a good idea in this case. You may well have avoided bringing the problem home, but you want to be sure.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue May 3 2016 7:01:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Based on my experience, a few very hungry adult bedbugs recently introduced somewhere aren't going to wait three weeks before getting a meal.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue May 3 2016 13:41:21
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 6 hours ago  » 
    Based on my experience, a few very hungry adult bedbugs recently introduced somewhere aren't going to wait three weeks before getting a meal.

Jim,

Since a good percentage of the population does not react to bed bug bites, and others will react after a time, but maybe not for a while, how do you know they haven't fed?

8. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue May 3 2016 15:00:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I would wager that most adults that hitch hike out of hotel rooms are the hungry ones. In apartments that have gone vacant and that have bedbugs, it's not unusual to sometimes see adults out in broad daylight.

9. lucgari09

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue May 31 2016 10:42:50
    #

Login to Send PM

It has been about a month now and I have been checking my bed regularly and I have not found any signs of bed bugs, but this morning I did wake up with that looked like a mosquito bit and seeing that I am paranoid I think it is a bed bug bite checked my bed again this morning and nothing no blood stains or black droopings, and no bed bug shells. I checked my body again the first bite that looked like a mosquito bite is on the back of my lower thigh, then I noticed above that bite there was a red rash not itchy and all and about the size of a dime and not raised, then I noticed on the left side of my thigh another small rash not raised about the size of a lentil, I'm scared and paranoid that it's bed bugs but I haven't seen any blood smears on my sheets or matters. Could it be possible that it's bed bugs?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081