Bed Bugs in brand new IKEA bed frame

(6 posts)
  1. jackiem

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 20 2016 14:50:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been dealing with IKEA since Sept. 15th trying to get this situation fixed:

So...I found bed bugs in my brand new #IKEA bed frame yesterday and took it back to the store and they didn't do anything about it so I decided to get their attention via #twitter. They requested I DM them so no one else would apparently find out about this and this is their lovely response?!!! I've been bagging my entire home and washing everything in sight and in every crack and crevice and this is the help from them I get after a brand new purchase from them!!! When I took the frame back the front desk girl said I wasn't the first then left the frame just sitting there by other people's new furniture!!! Now I get to go through my house too to bottom for the next month and more!!!

They still have the bed frame sitting in their St. Catharines, ON store, near other furniture. They're sending out a tech to the store and my home but I've been using DE since the 15th to get rid of them. I have the carcasses and pictures of everything.

Here is the step by step of events and all Ikea has done is be sarcastic and say have a good night, then I took it more to social media and they're now paying attention.

They were in the bed frame, just a few. Never had them ever, no sign on my mattress, found one crawling from the bed frame yesterday when my mom and I inspected everything. Two big ones, one tiny one and a medium sized one. Timeline from when the Ikea furniture came into my home is as follows:
    My parents picked up the order for me on Sept 2., put bed box and other Ikea items in my living room as I was dealing with a sick cat (Jack) and was concentrating on him instead of furniture.

Finally started putting bed frame together on Sept 5, but the wood broke as I assembled so I contacted Ikea as their instructions printed in the box are different than online so printed version I had didn't say stop hammering in parts at a certain point so I put it aside to fix it the next day, or to exchange it. Put frame back in living room.

After work next day I fixed the frame as I hadn't heard back from Ikea and don't have a vehicle to take it to the store. That night I put it together (Sept 6) and slept on it with my mattress that's always had a protector on it and never had signs of bugs.

Morning when I woke up on Sept 7th found first bug, thinking it was a tick so I killed it. I had emailed the pic to my vet thinking it was a tick b/c what my cat Jack was going through neurologically could come from a tick. Found out it's a bed bug from the vet on Sept 15th!

Sept 15th found another of the same bug half squished and just fed in my bed. I bagged it. So on Sept 15th my mother and I inspected my bedroom, frame, mattress, everything! We found a small bed bug, possibly just hatched, crawling from the crack where the bed bars meet on the headboard, then found a skin of one as it had shed to grow. Then found another skin in the corner by where the box was in the living room.
    I took the entire bed back to Ikea and the customer rep there said they've had complaints before about it and all she did was let the frame sit there, in the store by their desk, close to other people's brand new items!!?
    Unfortunately I had recycled the box the frame came in so I couldn't see if there were more bugs or eggs. But really?!!! She just let the frame that could have eggs in the bed frame holes just sit there near other people's new mattresses, frames, furniture!!!! Is this how mine got infected? All she said she'd do is send it off to the Burlington office and credit my PayPal account since I'd ordered it online!!!

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 20 2016 15:42:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I hate to break it to you but you most likely already had a bed bug problem before you brought the bed in. There is zero reason for beds bugs to be harboring in a new boxed wooden bed frame in a warehouse. You made zero mention of bites, only sightings of bugs so chances are having a new bed made it easier for you to see them. That, plus they hadn't made a comfortable new hiding spot in the bed yet (hence, making it easier for you to spot them).

So bottom line - in my opinion, you have a better shot of winning the lotto then getting infested with bed bugs via IKEA warehouse furniture. Just my own thoughts.

3. jackiem

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 20 2016 16:04:05
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 20 minutes ago  » 
    I hate to break it to you but you most likely already had a bed bug problem before you brought the bed in. There is zero reason for beds bugs to be harboring in a new boxed wooden bed frame in a warehouse. You made zero mention of bites, only sightings of bugs so chances are having a new bed made it easier for you to see them. That, plus they hadn't made a comfortable new hiding spot in the bed yet (hence, making it easier for you to spot them).
    So bottom line - in my opinion, you have a better shot of winning the lotto then getting infested with bed bugs via IKEA warehouse furniture. Just my own thoughts.

My home has never had signs of bed bugs ever.

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 20 2016 16:07:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Neither has mine but if I bought new IKEA furniture and then found bugs in it I wouldn't be blaming IKEA

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 20 2016 19:11:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert (Killer Queen is).
    But, they have to feed, so it's unlikely they would stay in a box in a warehouse right?
    If the bed/frame had been a returned item, that may be different. But, if it's brand new with everything in the box, why wouldn't they have left the box in search of food before?

Again, I'm not an expert. You sound very stressed out. Do you react to the bites? My thoughts are with you and your family during this stressful time.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 21 2016 7:43:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I would agree completely, there would be just as likely a risk in buying a houseplant as a prefab bed frame. Bed bugs don't know it's a bed without a human in it, not big readers.
    Take this as a great opportunity to address the issue before it gets out of hand.

Can you post some images of the bugs for a positive ID just in case the vet that IDed the bugs was mistaken.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,333 posts in 50,175 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14