Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Bed Bugs in Amazon Product

(16 posts)
  1. smkozlow

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 1 2017 8:12:32
    #

Login to Send PM

So, we bought an upholstered headboard from Amazon (Modway is the manufacturer) for our vacation rental property and it apparently brought in bed bugs. We are very confident this is the source since we just purchased the unit and it was inspected. The only people to stay here between the inspection were us and one group of renters. We just had our regular home inspected and no sign of bugs. The exterminator for the condo said he thought the infestation was about 3-6 weeks old. Three weeks would put it right at when the headboard arrived. Plus the infestation was the worst in that room. I'm going to ask the exterminator today if they specifically looked at the headboard (or can look today) and can document that was the source.

Anyway, going back to Amazon and looking at the reviews for the headboard, numerous people have had the same issue! I so wish I had read all the reviews. The manufacturer has replied to a few of those reviews saying that had inspected their factory and warehouses and have seen no evidence of bed bugs. Obviously, that's not the case since the bed bug issue has been occurring since 2015 until at least as recently as 3 weeks ago.

I contacted Amazon yesterday saying I wanted to be compensated for the extermination ($1500), loss of rental income when renters had to be relocated ($1200), and preventative treatment at my home ($350). They kindly offered me a refund if I'd ship it back to them. I told them they were crazy to suggest I put that back in the mail and expose other people to bed bugs. They then offered me a $5 Amazon credit. I said no. They then offered me a $10 Amazon credit. Again, I said no.

Do sellers and manufacturers have any liability for bed bug-infested products?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 1 2017 9:57:33
    #

Login to Send PM

It would be hard to prove that the bed bugs absolutely came in with the headboard. I think you're just setting yourself up for a lot of frustration and no compensation.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 1 2017 9:59:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Worst in that room? You mean there were other areas of the condo found with bed bugs?

4. smkozlow

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 1 2017 10:39:31
    #

Login to Send PM

The exterminator found many bugs in the room with the new headboard and a few in each of the other bedrooms (presumably from people/stuff moving between them).

I get what you're saying about not being able to definitively prove it, but circumstantial evidence is overwhelming:

No bed bugs the end of April

We stayed there the first week of May and the headboard arrived two days before we left (no lesions while we were there, but our son did have many what we thought were mosquito bites two days after we returned)

Three weeks later, the first people in the unit since we left report bed bugs

So, either we brought in the bed bugs (our home inspected fine yesterday), the headboard brought in bed bugs, or the guests brought in bed bugs.

Since the exterminator said the infection looked to be about 3-6 weeks old, it overwhelmingly points to the headboard. Unless you're thinking they came from a neighbor or something. I guess that's possible, but given that multiple other people have had this issue with the same headboard (and they actually saw them crawling on the headboard when it arrived), I'm confident it's the source.

Of course, I get what you're saying about convincing others.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 1 2017 11:11:38
    #

Login to Send PM

The timeline sounds a bit wrong to me as well. To have spread away from the headboard within three weeks of placement makes me think that perhaps they were there at the time of purchase. If they were harboring in an odd location like the baseboards while the unit was vacant, then coming out when residents arrived, or if they were missed completely on the inspection, that might be something to consider.
    I know it seems like the reviews are good indicators that the bed bugs came from the frame, but it is also possible that no one checked their beds until the point of installing a new frame and at that point discover the bed bugs and link them incorrectly to the frame.

6. smkozlow

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 1 2017 12:02:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, the headboard set in its box in the hallway between the other two bedrooms for two days before we installed it, so they easily could have crawled into the bedrooms then.

Maybe the unit was infested when we bought it, but it had regular bed bug inspections that were always negative and my own check didn't see anything suspicious. Also, there was no one else in there for a number of weeks prior to closing. I suppose the exterminators estimation of a 3-6 week infestation could be wrong. Maybe it was a very light infestation for months that suddenly reared its ugly head, not while we were there, but while our renters were there.

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 1 2017 13:17:06
    #

Login to Send PM

smkozlow - 1 hour ago  » 
    Well, the headboard set in its box in the hallway between the other two bedrooms for two days before we installed it, so they easily could have crawled into the bedrooms then.

Right, but you're assigning attributes to bed bugs that they just don't have. They don't "know" to leave a box in search of a bed. They see heat signatures and pick up on CO2. They come after us, and we just happen to spend the majority of our sleeping time on our beds.

I don't doubt that it is a possibility that they came in on a shipped container, but you may be overlooking the actual point of entry.

8. Markitude

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 1 2017 16:34:58
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 2 hours ago  » 

Right, but you're assigning attributes to bed bugs that they just don't have.

Ha isn't it amazing the stuff our brains will do? There's nothing about a headboard that is inherently hospitable to a bed bug. They are no more likely to come from a headboard factory than they are a coffee maker factory or any other kind of factory. Unless someone's sleeping on the job, I guess.

I'm not a pro but from what I have learned about them, I would be really really surprised that there would be an infestation at a factory in the first place. If the company that brought it out to you would also be delivering and picking up old mattresses at any point with the same truck, I would say it is 1000 times more likely that it came from there. And most likely of all that it came from neither.

9. smkozlow

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 1 2017 17:15:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Markitude - 40 minutes ago  » 

BigDummy - 2 hours ago  » 
    Right, but you're assigning attributes to bed bugs that they just don't have.

Ha isn't it amazing the stuff our brains will do? There's nothing about a headboard that is inherently hospitable to a bed bug. They are no more likely to come from a headboard factory than they are a coffee maker factory or any other kind of factory. Unless someone's sleeping on the job, I guess.
    I'm not a pro but from what I have learned about them, I would be really really surprised that there would be an infestation at a factory in the first place. If the company that brought it out to you would also be delivering and picking up old mattresses at any point with the same truck, I would say it is 1000 times more likely that it came from there. And most likely of all that it came from neither.

What if I told you it was shipped from Malaysia. Does that change your opinion?

10. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 1 2017 17:28:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I would think headboards are nearly in the same category as mattresses in terms of items to be careful about. Add to that Amazon's very liberal return policy and I can see how an infestation could spread from purchaser to seller and back to another purchaser. More so than with let's say a toaster oven.

Jim

11. bedbugsbugme

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 1 2017 17:53:00
    #

Login to Send PM

There is a possibility that the headboard AND neighbors could be the source. There could have been some hiding in the baseboards and under appliances until you stayed there. Then they made their way to you and established in the bed. Then you introduce the headboard that had maybe 5 and that made the population explode within those 3 weeks. Either way you need to contact your neighbors there and ask if they suspected bed bugs at all. Let them know you have a confirmed light infestation and they should take precautions and get inspected as well.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  12. bedbugsbugme

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 1 2017 17:56:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 24 minutes ago  » 
    I would think headboards are nearly in the same category as mattresses in terms of items to be careful about. Add to that Amazon's very liberal return policy and I can see how an infestation could spread from purchaser to seller and back to another purchaser. More so than with let's say a toaster oven.
    Jim

I have heard of that happening at furniture stores where they take an infested piece of furniture back (returns) and they resell that piece of furniture after giving it a quick once over with steam and a wipe down. It's very likely with rent to own companies (which is why I will never use them). You got to ask the company if they take returns in the store.

13. LauraC

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun May 6 2018 10:24:22
    #

Login to Send PM

We also got bed bugs from a new crib and mattress ordered from Amazon. Our 18-mo-old was being bitten in his sleep. Amazon hasn't responded to any emails or complaints. Heads up, this can happen!

14. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun May 6 2018 12:24:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I realize this is an older post, but:
    "Since the exterminator said the infection looked to be about 3-6 weeks old, it overwhelmingly points to the headboard. Unless you're thinking they came from a neighbor or something. I guess that's possible, but given that multiple other people have had this issue with the same headboard (and they actually saw them crawling on the headboard when it arrived), I'm confident it's the source."
    --- The timing of the age could definitely be wrong as guessed by the exterminator. Seeing bugs on a headboard at its delivery is more definitive.

"I'm not a pro but from what I have learned about them, I would be really really surprised that there would be an infestation at a factory in the first place. They are no more likely to come from a headboard factory than they are a coffee maker factory or any other kind of factory. "
    "What if I told you it was shipped from Malaysia. Does that change your opinion?"
    --- The factory settings are different in different countries and it's possible that many workers sleep (and somewhat live) there, too.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon May 7 2018 10:29:53
    #

Login to Send PM

LauraC - 23 hours ago  » 
    We also got bed bugs from a new crib and mattress ordered from Amazon. Our 18-mo-old was being bitten in his sleep. Amazon hasn't responded to any emails or complaints. Heads up, this can happen!

Look into whether your order was shipped directly from a third-party seller or but amazon. If it is sold by Amazon or “fulfilled by Amazon”, then they are the shippers. Otherwise, my understanding is it was shipped directly.

Bed bugs could potentially be in a product that was returned form a home with bed bugs. If such products are accepted as returns, potentially other products could be affected if stored nearby.

This is not an Amazon problem, but a problem that happens with returns. It’s one reason we recommend sellers of bed bug products that don’t accept returns in our Useful Tools page: https://Bedbugger.com/useful-tools

Finding sellers of products generally that don’t take returns is almost impossible, of course.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  16. Thebiggerbug

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun May 13 2018 20:52:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I am 99% sure my exposure came from an Amazon ordered item (shipped 3rd party) as well. It was a bed frame and/or twin mattress, or maybe the packaging or either.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,567 posts in 46,605 topics over 142 months by 20,555 of 21,422 members. Latest: tjg, jm1985, Me33