Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Bed Bugs Garlic?

(29 posts)
  1. Uhlizza Polen

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 18:33:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Is or has there been any studies as to what type of carbon monoxide that might indicate what is in your blood that may attract or not attract Bed Bugs, such as Garlic, or any other her or chemical b to deter them? Would there be something that they may be super attracted to over other things such as sugar or being diabetics? Would any of this be a factor in "isolation"?

2. Just use the easy button

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 23:58:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Heat & carbon dioxide! Thats what they are after, nothing else matters.

< ^ > (•¿•) < ^ >

3. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 7:35:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Garlic does kill bed bugs .......... if you sauté them with it in oil.

4. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 11:10:00
    #

Login to Send PM

MMMmmmm....

5. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 11:40:29
    #

Login to Send PM

don't forget a pinch of peperoncino, a dash of marsala and serve over a little bed of al dente linguini with chopped italian parsley on top...fresh cracked black pepper!

6. devil_youknow

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 12:59:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, technically bed bugs ARE vampires........

7. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 13:03:45
    #

Login to Send PM

absolutely divine, Deedle
    LOL

8. NYCCELEBRITY

Banned

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 14:58:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Just use the easy button - 14 hours ago  » 
    < ^ > (•¿•) < ^ >

Absolutely Not True, otherwise bedbugs would also focus on pets as much as they do humans! That would suggest they are attracted to something like human pheromones! Misinformation and the rise of imperialism is corruption!

9. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 15:24:31
    #

Login to Send PM

NYCeleb...

In the final analysis, it may be that pheromones have something to do with it. I can't profess to say. But to suggest that dogs and cats have no other differences to humans than our distinctive pheromones is not logical. There are other very evident differences that might impact on whether bbs see our dogs and cats as suitable hosts. I point to the difference in the amount of hair humans have as compared to dogs and cats. That could be a reason why our pets do not seem to be hosts of bbs (although i'm not completely sure that they are not. It could be that they are hosts and that they do not have the same skin reaction that we have).

10. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 15:37:21
    #

Login to Send PM

NYCCELEBRITY - 36 minutes ago  » 

< ^ > (•¿•) < ^ >

Absolutely Not True, otherwise bedbugs would also focus on pets as much as they do humans! That would suggest they are attracted to something like human pheromones! Misinformation and the rise of imperialism is corruption!

Yo Mr. Celeb. Didja you know BBs are a problem on chicken farms?

Guess which blood has them develop them faster, human, chicken, rabbit, or rodent?

Oh, also in the medieval days the servants would toss a pig into the bed for the bugs to feed off before the lord got in.

Jim

11. NYCCELEBRITY

Banned

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 16:18:59
    #

Login to Send PM

DeedleBeetle - 53 minutes ago  » 
    NYCeleb...
    In the final analysis, it may be that pheromones have something to do with it. I can't profess to say. But to suggest that dogs and cats have no other differences to humans than our distinctive pheromones is not logical. There are other very evident differences that might impact on whether bbs see our dogs and cats as suitable hosts. I point to the difference in the amount of hair humans have as compared to dogs and cats. That could be a reason why our pets do not seem to be hosts of bbs (although i'm not completely sure that they are not. It could be that they are hosts and that they do not have the same skin reaction that we have).

You admit that you do not know what you are talking about, you have no point, why comment?!

12. NYCCELEBRITY

Banned

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 16:29:29
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 48 minutes ago  » 

NYCCELEBRITY - 36 minutes ago  » 

< ^ > (•¿•) < ^ >

Yo Mr. Celeb. Didja you know BBs are a problem on chicken farms?
    Guess which blood has them develop them faster, human, chicken, rabbit, or rodent?
    Oh, also in the medieval days the servants would toss a pig into the bed for the bugs to feed off before the lord got in.
    Jim

All good points, I like the pig idea, maybe they took the bed outside with the bedbugs and set it afire! Though that is probably not possible today in a modern city, and why can't we make this "pig" out of synthetic materials and if necessary using real blood, in a contraption that will not let them escape?!

13. NYCCELEBRITY

Banned

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 16:33:33
    #

Login to Send PM

NYCCELEBRITY - 13 minutes ago  » 

DeedleBeetle - 53 minutes ago  » 
    NYCeleb...

You admit that you do not know what you are talking about, you have no point, why comment?!

I just mean, you have no point because, we know that bed bugs prefer humans over pets!

14. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 17:52:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston O. Buggy - 10 hours ago  » 
    Garlic does kill bed bugs .......... if you sauté them with it in oil.

You been hanging out with Rachael Ray?

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  15. DLTBBB

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 17:59:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Cruiser the bedbug dog found bed bugs in all rooms of our house (except kitchen and bath), including our living and dining room. No humans sleep down there and no humans have been getting bit during the day as far as we can tell (and I react quite strongly to bites). I can only conclude that they are munching on our two dogs and two cats .. and maybe even our bird, all of whom sleep downstairs.

Maybe they prefer humans, but I can't help but conclude they feed on pets, too. (None of our pets seem to react to them, though. I haven't seen any scratching at all.)

With that, we have a trophy ziplock filled with dead bedbugs. I think I'd be happy to saute them in garlic and butter and gobble them up if I thought it would help them want to leave.

16. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 18:15:03
    #

Login to Send PM

........idea of using human blood to attract and kill bbs is not new idea on this forum

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/what-about-this-idea-for-killing-bbs

17. NYCCELEBRITY

Banned

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 18:34:01
    #

Login to Send PM

DeedleBeetle - 13 minutes ago  » 
    ........idea of using human blood to attract and kill bbs is not new idea on this forum
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/what-about-this-idea-for-killing-bbs

Actually I wasn't serious about using real human blood as an attraction! Though obviously we know they are attracted to humans for particular reasons, it could be as simple as human pheromones?! Has anyone here experimented using human pheromones to attract live bedbugs in a controlled experiment?! If we can narrow the bedbug's attraction down to what exactly draws them to humans then we can apply that attractive element to a bedbug trap!

18. Uhlizza Polen

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 19:58:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay guys settle down! Bettle: we are not hosts: we are blood meals. My daughters vet said that dogs do carry the bugs, don't think he knows his shit though unless they are feeding, and a human unbeknowningly comes a long and takes the pet else where ; plus they could lay eggs on the underside of a leather collar if the doggy or catty where to be snoozing. on the under a leather collar; they could lay eggs there.

DLTBBB: Birds are notorious for harboring bed bugs in there nesting areas and nests.

NYCCELEBRITY: I just lost my appetite. No din-din for me: specially since it seems I am BB free, for 13 days: a record for me since Memorial day.

Don't you all think that a nip of wine might perhaps kill them when they drink your alcohol saturated blood, shouldn't that kill them from the inside out; just as spraying them with alcohol does? Let;s all get drunk and see if they like it or not, at any rate we won't care too much. lol, i think.

19. Uhlizza Polen

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 20:01:24
    #

Login to Send PM

DLTBBB: also- if you have a baggy full? You are probably super infested. Just speaking from experience... hope not.

20. Uhlizza Polen

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 20:04:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Spideyig: Chickens.?

21. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 20:07:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Uhlizza Polen - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Okay guys settle down! Bettle: we are not hosts: we are blood meals. My daughters vet said that dogs do carry the bugs, don't think he knows his shit though unless they are feeding, and a human unbeknowningly comes a long and takes the pet else where ; plus they could lay eggs on the underside of a leather collar if the doggy or catty where to be snoozing. on the under a leather collar; they could lay eggs there.
    DLTBBB: Birds are notorious for harboring bed bugs in there nesting areas and nests.
    NYCCELEBRITY: I just lost my appetite. No din-din for me: specially since it seems I am BB free, for 13 days: a record for me since Memorial day.
    Don't you all think that a nip of wine might perhaps kill them when they drink your alcohol saturated blood, shouldn't that kill them from the inside out; just as spraying them with alcohol does? Let;s all get drunk and see if they like it or not, at any rate we won't care too much. lol, i think.

This is not accurate Uhlizza

22. DLTBBB

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 20:50:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Killerqueen: What part isn't accurate?

Uhliza: We have about 12 to 15 now in our baggie; all came while looking for them, not just out of the blue -- except for the last two that we found in a box while trying to organize our house. However, based on bedbug sniffing puggle Cruiser's observation that he smelled them in every room of the house except the kitchen and bath, I think we are pretty infested. We are doing a thermal as soon as we can get our sh** togther and get the house in order .. meaning, finishing our painting job, throwing out a bunch of stuff we don't want (even thermal needs a little decluttering) and figuring out what to do with and how to treat the things that can't take the heat (vinyl records, oil paintings, etc.)

23. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 21:05:20
    #

Login to Send PM

DLTBBB - 11 minutes ago  » 
    ...what to do with and how to treat the things that can't take the heat (vinyl records, oil paintings, etc.)

I recall one poster mentioning that his thermal tech had him take the delicates out of the house, then return them as the place was cooling.

Also, bear in mind that records can probably be hand inspected, cleaned, (inserted into new sleeves), bagged and removed, while the jackets can be left behind for thermal treatments.

24. DLTBBB

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 21:21:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, bear in mind that records can probably be hand inspected, cleaned (inserted into new sleeves), bagged and removed, while the jackets can be left behind for thermal treatments.

We have hundreds of them. Do you think that a quick inspection of each would find all eggs and everything, I'm not certain we have the patience or time to take a magnifier to each -- or do you think that if we don't see an adult, we are good to go with them?

My husband has been telling me there aren't likely any bedbugs there because they like humans and the records aren't even on the same floor humans sleep in, but he said that about the whole downstairs, too .. and Cruiser found scent of bedbug in two first floor rooms (living room and dining room) and even our basement laundry area. If we are going to spend $5k on a thermal, I really want to make certain we are doing everything possible to make certain we aren't going to reinfest ourselves when the records come back in.

(Sorry, I see I messed up the "quote" and deleted whatever tells someone it is from Cilecto's post.)

25. Eve

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 21:31:23
    #

Login to Send PM

How about you find some sort of carry case for the actual albums. And then leave the covers and sleeves behind to experience the thermal.

It seems to be that we used special record cleaner in the LP days. If you clean each one looking at them against the light (eggs apparently feel like stuck on pieces of sugar) they should be relatively easy to inspect and clean.

If you're feeling paranoid, I suppose you can bring them back like Cilecto suggests and let them bask in the cooling house. If it's typical thermal (130oF to 140oF in the ambient air) it will take quite a while to cool back to 113oF and below. I don't know how many you have but lay them down horizontally so they can't get warped.

Then when things get back to normal you can reinsert them in the now sterilized sleeves (maybe shake out the sleeves to get the dead stuff and dust out).

Edited because I notice you say "hundreds". I used to have friends with collections like that. I think your husband is right by the way. The risk is small if they were nowhere near really sedentary humans.

Eve

26. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 21:31:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm just guessing about the records (I'm not a BB expert), but if I were left to my devices, I'd set up an assembly line in a clear, well-lit place and do this:
    - Clean each record (use a Discwasher brush, which you will toss or leave behind, sans fluid, for the bake), wipe the labels and ream the hole, inspect again, place in new sleeve inside an XL Ziploc, then take off premises for treatment day.

For records which you're willing to live without for a while, just bag securely. We are also getting newer information about BB lifecycle and your quarantine may end up being shorter than the "currently accepted" 18 months.

27. DLTBBB

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 27 2010 22:52:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Cilecto and Eve.

cilecto - 1 hour ago  » 
    I'm just guessing about the records (I'm not a BB expert), but if I were left to my devices, I'd set up an assembly line in a clear, well-lit place and do this:
    - Clean each record (use a Discwasher brush, which you will toss or leave behind, sans fluid, for the bake), wipe the labels and ream the hole, inspect again, place in new sleeve inside an XL Ziploc, then take off premises for treatment day.
    For records which you're willing to live without for a while, just bag securely. We are also getting newer information about BB lifecycle and your quarantine may end up being shorter than the "currently accepted" 18 months.

We are in the process of determining those we are wiling to put into long term storage in a sealed bag in the garage. I suppose the rest might be doable with an assembly line sort of situation.

Eve, I'm really worried about assuming they aren't in the records. I agree that the likelihood is probably significantly less than 50%, but they are somewhere downstairs where they are being stored now (and a few in the attic .. where BBs are also leaving scents behind). It seems to me like record covers would be very good BB nests. We've found them in books and boxes, and the records are just as close to where the pets sleep as the books and boxes we found them in were. I think if the extermination is something .... less radical, I wouldn't be as uptight about making certain everything was completely BB free. But the extermination is going to be not only a huge amount of work (and I feel way too busy and overwhelmed as it is), but also incredibly expensive. I am really worried about our own errors messing up that process.

28. Uhlizza Polen

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 11:57:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I know how you feel as far as overwhelmed. And you probably aren't getting good sleep. Have you gotten and DE? For the attic? I have it everywhere and it seems to be helping a lot.

I do not have 2 extra pennies to rub together, my LL has paid for the exterminators, whom have came 4 times (one for free) ; they inspect nothing. That is all on me. Got a Baby BB bite last night so getting ready to go in to my dismantled bedroom and dismantle it further so that I can vacuum and examine, and reapply DE, if I get bit any more will call PCO's back in. It has been a hard 2 month of work, but the worry and physiological affects are starting to diminish. Just tired, i was just drifting off and I got bit, after 13 days :(, so I had to get up in the night and carefully remove all bedding and pajamas and put new stuff on. Took about an hour and I was pooped). Still am. But I have to do this. I found the cord to my air mattress on the floor last night thus their creeping into my isolated air mattress.

I agree with you with your concerns for the basement. You don't want to leave anything untreated and everything else clean just for them to reinfest everything. One thing i did (I have an extensive posting "Rubbermaid containers and always find out new stuff" that has recorded my experience - it is really long though, and when I was at worse, it is confusing and garbled. ) though was to use my car to heat treat things. I live in the Cinti area, and it is very hot and humid; so I put things in my car; put it in the sun, and turned on the heat for about 5 min.; or just let the stuff stay out there for a few days: had a meat thermometer which usually read app. 135degrees. I only turned on the heat actually once, that was after my car got infested, which i figured would happen, I just tossed DE in it and turnded on the heat while parked in the sun; they were dead dead dead. never bit again in the car. Hope this trick helps at the risk of getting your car infestted, but it is easy to get clean, if you have to use your car a lot be sure to have a change of cloths at your entry way that are sterile and a bag for cloths that you where in your car if you suspect it gets infested. Low cost way to eradicated stuff that would have needed dry cleaned. UP (I was just kidding about taking a nip to kill the bugs from the inside out... have to have a bit of humor on here!!!)

29. Uhlizza Polen

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 12:02:07
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen: what exactly isn't true? What the vet said or the bird nests: I know the bird nests are true. If you are talking about "getting a nip to drink" I was just kidding JEEZ! liten up.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,217 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls