bed bugs from new mattress

(4 posts)
  1. omgbedbugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 13:31:28
    #

Login to Send PM

we have lived in our home for 3 years, have not traveled anywhere or had any guests stay at our house in over a year.
    on aug 12 at about 4 pm we took delivery of a NEW mattress and box spring for my son. the first week he complained of blood spots in the bed. i dismissed thinking it was from the acne on his back. on labor day i heard my husband and son talking about killing some "beetles" in his room. still didnt think much of it. the next morning i woke up with about 18 bites on my neck. that evening i went in his room and saw a bug on the wall. he told me that was what he had been finding in his bed and on the walls in his room and he had bites all over his back and arms. after looking at bed bug pics on-line i was pretty sure thats what they were. the next morning when my husband got home from work, he took the bed apart and sure enough the box spring had bugs, a lot feces and blood splots on it.

I was freaked out. We caught and bagged several bugs and brought them to the store when they opened. needless to say the clerk was freaked out as well. he told us all the mattresses were "factory sealed". our mattress was delivered from the warehouse but they also had mattresses in their store room. EVERY mattress was sealed in plastic BUT there were tears in all of them. Keep in mind this company removes old bedding and puts it on the truck with new beds.

after speaking with the VP of the company, they didnt deny that we got them from this mattress but said it was more likely that we got them from somewhere else, like clothing or something we bought from another store. they offered to replace the bed...like i'd take anything else from them.

we called an exterminator, who agreed that the main infestation was in that box spring. the infestion was consisted with the length of time we've had the mattress and it was more likely that we got the bugs from a mattress that had been on a truck with old mattresses than from any other source considering we have not traveled etc. one live bed bug was found on my bed, no feces on my mattress/box springs. my room backs up to my sons room and there is a vent that is open to both room so he thinks that's how they got in my room. we moved everything, bagged up all the clothing, washed it and dried it on high heat. He exterminated twice in one week. he also sprayed my bed, but we ended up throwing it away too between the thought of bugs in it and the chemical was causing my asthma to flare up.
    it's been 2 weeks, everyday i vacuum the entire house and all the remaining furniture (we threw all upholstered furniture away except my living room set). we bought air mattresses, all new bedding and pillows and thew away all of our winter clothes which were stored in under the bed totes. over kill maybe...but better safe than sorry. we've had no signs of bugs thus far, no bites, feces anything. i'm constantly on bug patrol with my flashlight, gloves and tape, it's taken over my life.
    to sum it up, the company refused to pay for extermination and for the items that we've had to throw out and as soon as i told them i was hiring an attorney (which i did) they recinded their offer of a new bed, like i care.
    moral of the story, NEVER buy an furniture from a company that removes old bedding and puts it on the truck with new bedding or furniture.

2. toledo

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 17:37:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow! I'm the poster who noticed bugs on my new mattress, too. So you discovered the bugs within 3 weeks of receiving the new mattress? Will the pest control company give you something in writing, saying they believe the boxspring had to be infested prior to delivery? What company is this? (another poster asked on my thread). I believe most companies are still picking up used mattresses, so many people are risk when they receive their new mattresses. I've decided that I'm going to pick up my own mattress from the warehouse. I'm also going to examine the warehouse.

3. omgbedbugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 18:02:12
    #

Login to Send PM

toledo - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Wow! I'm the poster who noticed bugs on my new mattress, too. So you discovered the bugs within 3 weeks of receiving the new mattress? Will the pest control company give you something in writing, saying they believe the boxspring had to be infested prior to delivery? What company is this? (another poster asked on my thread). I believe most companies are still picking up used mattresses, so many people are risk when they receive their new mattresses. I've decided that I'm going to pick up my own mattress from the warehouse. I'm also going to examine the warehouse.

My son actually started seeing blood on his sheet/mattress and getting bites within a day of bed being delivered. By the time I saw one and realized what was going on, it was almost 3 weeks later and after inspecting the mattress/box spring we found bugs and a lot of feces. The feces was along the all four sides of the box spring. I would post the pics but I dont know how to do it on here.
    The exterminator sent me a statement to give to my lawyer. In it he stated that the bed had the main concentration of bugs. The amount of infestation was consistant with the length of time the bed had been at our home. Although he found 1 live bug in my bed, there was no feces or signs that there was a large concentration of them in my bed or room. He also stated that that I was more likely to have gotten them from the new bed being exposed to an infested mattress on the truck than from our normal daily activities. We live in upstate NY (no where near NYC). I'd rather not name the retailer b/c of the pending litigation, but they only sell beds and have stores through out NY state. I certainly wouldn't call them a high end retailer, but the bed cost $700 so it wasn't one of those $299 specials you see.

This has costs us thousands of dollars. We're middle class and the cost of this is just killing us. There's no way we can afford to replace all the things we've had to throw away. Not to mention, I'm afraid to buy new things for fear we may not have gotten them all. I honestly don't know where I will buy new beds from but certainly not from anyone that takes old bedding and you're right, I'll probably pick them up myself.

4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 23:12:00
    #

Login to Send PM

We live in upstate NY (no where near NYC). I'd rather not name the retailer b/c of the pending litigation, but they only sell beds and have stores through out NY state.

Close enough. Thanks.

Jim

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,850 posts in 50,050 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas