Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bed Bugs For The Fifth Time IN 10 Years!!!

(6 posts)
  1. Norestnosleepnopeace

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 18 2016 5:48:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been reading up here for a little while, but have been pressed for time for some time now so hopefully I'll get back to it at some point. I have bed bugs now for the fifth time in ten years. I moved into this apartment almost two weeks ago and immediately started getting upwards of thirty bites a night from day one. The landlord had mentioned in passing AFTER I signed my lease and paid him all this money, that he had a "pest control" guy. I was pretty steamed but I didn't say anything. A lot of places have cockroaches, which aren't any better, but I personally would prefer those over bed bugs.

I had no reason to believe this would happen. This place has glowing reviews from residents and nothing negative whatsoever. I was so picky about apartments and turned away from a lot of them who had bad reviews about pests, harassment, crappy landlord, crappy neighbors, break-ins, etc. I specifically wanted to live here because it was cheap and had such good reviews. I want to add that almost everyone I've come across in the building is really nice but I've never asked them about the bed bugs.

I caught two bed bugs in a bottle a little over a week ago and showed the landlord. He said he'd take care of it, and sent some pest guy to do the job. I have two cats and had to leave with them so I don't know how long he treated in here or what he did, but I can guarantee he didn't spray my mattress cover (I've had my mattress encased for some time now). Whatever they did didn't work and I bought some DE and spread it very lightly around wondering what that would do since I don't want to move again (probably can't get out of my lease anyway).

I want to add that on top of everything else I just relocated from one city to another. The city I'm from has a bed bug epidemic that is pretty well publicized but apparently this city has one also and just nobody talks about it. I like the apartment, it's huge and has a nice view, but it's not worth it for me to live with bed bugs. Not to mention the lack of preparation for me moving in in the first place. There were faucets and electrical outlets not fixed and now my cabinets need work too.

I'm at my wits end here. I don't have the energy for another move, I've just about exhausted my savings and even if I could move, I don't know how hard it would be to break my lease (I'm in Missouri).

I'm no stranger to bed bugs. I've had them four different times before now, including another year spent at a bed bug and cockroach-infested apartment a few years ago. The management of that building were very abusive, telling me that I caused the problem with my clutter and messiness. They lied to my mother and told me I left food laying around which wasn't true and threatened to evict me if I didn't move out. They were using their maintenance guy to treat the units at that time and he treated my bed right before I moved out, and I prayed to God I wouldn't bring any with me and I didn't.

However that experience with my landlord has made me extremely suspicious of landlords and I fear raising a big stink about this. I got bed bugs again early this summer after a neighbor of mine threw his sofa over a railing and it landed outside my door and I got bed bugs. I had to quit my job to have the time to do the work they expected me to do to prepare for the extermination and I'll add that all of that (washing clothes, etc.) took up a good chunk of my summer. But it worked, after the extermination it was over. I got a job where I moved and started apartment hunting in my new city and that was a task. Not only are landlords strict out here about who they'll rent to, but I didn't yet have paychecks that could tell me what I'd be making so I was also careful for that reason.

I know I didn't bring any bed bugs to this new apartment as I only brought clothes that had been washed several times since my last bed bug scare and started getting bitten on my brand new airbed that first night. My landlord initially thought I should "change my detergent" when I first told him (over text) about my bites. When I brought the two in a bottle in to show him, he took it and decided to call his exterminator.

He claims he pretreated the apartment before I moved in and now has treated a second time. The exterminator told me I would know if I'd need another treatment, he had to find out how bad the situation was. I haven't heard anything as of yet and bought DE and spread it really lightly on the floor. I have seen less bugs since then but I know they're stll there waiting for me. I haven't had a good night's sleep since I moved into this place and I'm already fed up.

I'm starting to not want to rent anymore because of the bed bug issues in so many apartments. I don't understand what kind of landlord can let infestations run amok like this and just not care? Even the last place I lived, they'd treat one unit at a time. I hope all landlords go to hell and rot for eternity.

The kicker to the story is I moved all the way out here to improve my life. I was priced out of my city, had horrible experiences there overall and I wanted to volunteer with stray animals here (they have a high stray animal problem). I wanted to volunteer at a homeless shelter on Thanksgiving. I wanted to do that where I used to live too, but had to work every year when I had a retail job. I can't do any of that as long as I'm having this problem and I just keep thinking what was the point??? My toxic mother always hassled me about my lack of ambition but everytime I try to make my life better it just gets worse! I'm tired of it all! To be fair everything would be fine without the bed bug problem but it's bad. It's not just a few bugs, a few bites a night. They're crawling out of everywhere ALL NIGHT and getting on my deceased grandparents' prized furniture! I've never seen anything like it. Anyway thanks for reading!

2. CleaningToDeath

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 18 2016 7:35:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Norestnosleepnopeace - 1 hour ago  » 

I know I didn't bring any bed bugs to this new apartment as I only brought clothes that had been washed several times since my last bed bug scare and started getting bitten on my brand new airbed that first night.

It's not just a few bugs, a few bites a night. They're crawling out of everywhere ALL NIGHT and getting on my deceased grandparents' prized furniture! I've never seen anything like it. Anyway thanks for reading!

How was your grandparents furniture treated prior to moving? They can lay eggs and harbor in wood. Possibly a move if the furniture was infestation has caused them to come out from their harborage seeking a host to feed on. What proximity was this furniture to your bedding then, and now?

3. Norestnosleepnopeace

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 18 2016 17:00:52
    #

Login to Send PM

The pest control company last summer sprayed everything and everywhere. I had to empty all my drawers, closets, shelves, etc. and they sprayed everywhere. I washed everything, dried everything, nothing was left untouched. My mattress and box spring have been encased for a long time and I know I didn't bring the bugs with me. I was getting bitten my first night here without any of my furniture.

Also, the furniture was in the living room in my last apartment. The areas I spent time in there were my bedroom and a corner of the dining room which had an office chair (got rid of that before treatment).

4. misery

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 18 2016 17:48:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I had almost the same experience. My experience may be in my post history but the short version is, I politely asked my landlord to consider me acquiring a lawyer or grant a rescission of the lease. Which he did. Idk how it is with yours, but I was prepared to get a lawyer. We were there all of 2.5 months and I paid for a full 3, but was sent my deposit back.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  5. Norestnosleepnopeace

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 19 2016 6:29:35
    #

Login to Send PM

misery - 12 hours ago  » 
    I had almost the same experience. My experience may be in my post history but the short version is, I politely asked my landlord to consider me acquiring a lawyer or grant a rescission of the lease. Which he did. Idk how it is with yours, but I was prepared to get a lawyer. We were there all of 2.5 months and I paid for a full 3, but was sent my deposit back.

Only your deposit? Isn't it amazing how these landlords can get away with marketing apartments they know are substandard, and they get to keep the money??? I hate landlords!!!

6. misery

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 22 2016 0:56:11
    #

Login to Send PM

My problem was proof. I had neighbors who told me, but no one would go on record that the building was infested. Plus, no one had lived there for a long time, and it was "treated" after the previous tenants left. A lot of misinformation and bad PCOs make for a tricky case. Had I fought it, the burden was on me and I wasn't sure I could do that. Not and get the money to replace everything I lost (and my irreplaceable peace of mind) so I did what was best for my family and moved on. The whole experience damaged us, and we are now just over 2 years later and we still have problems. (We all see someone, for the record.) Until the information is out there and the crooked PCOs are penalized, I'm afraid it won't be easy to get any legal action granted in the tenants favor. At least not around here...... the scenario is pretty commonplace.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,735 posts in 50,026 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,358 members. Latest: weluckyfew201, questioning_bugger, Mikayah