Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Bed bugs, fleas, or both?? HELP :(

(7 posts)
  1. courtsmagortz

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2015 14:38:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope I'm doing this right, if not my apologies.
    So this is what's been happening to me. On November 23rd I found fleas on my dog and in my hair - GROSS!!! It's my own fault because I didn't have him on a flea preventative before, so I went out and bought a cheap topical (SentryPro, I believe) and proceeded to follow every step from every flea-related website I could find. I washed all his bedding and mine. I shampooed the carpet. I vacuumed every single day. I vacuumed off the furniture. I sprayed down the carpets and furniture with Raid's flea kiler spray. However I kept finding them even with vacuuming every day and doing the wash every few days, so I set off a bug bomb on November 27. That seemed to fix the problem - for a couple of days I was flea free. I didn't find any on him or myself.
    However, on December 4th I found one hiding in the couch, and another one on my poor dog. I also noticed two little red bumps, about three inches apart, on my hip, and three small red bumps in a row on my collarbone. I looked at my back and found it was covered in little lines of 3-4 bumps, as well as clusters of bumps. They're all very very small bumps, ranging from the size of a pin prick to a pencil eraser. I sprayed down again, washed everything again, vacuumed again, and took my dog to the vet to get a proper flea medication.
    In addition, I live in an apartment complex. Up until this point I'd been trying to take care of the problem myself, but finding fleas even after setting off a BUG BOMB was very upsetting. So a few days after I started my dog on the medication (December 8), the exterminator came and sprayed for fleas. I told him I was concerned that I had bed bugs in addition to the fleas, as the bite patterns I've been seeing on myself match descriptions of bed bug bites way more than flea bites. He checked the edges of my mattresses and along the wall, didn't find anything, HOWEVER his inspection was very brief and shallow so I feel he might have missed something. After he left I stripped my bed and found two small rust colored stains on the side where I sleep (might have been there a long time but I've never noticed them before, and until that point I'd been stripping my bed every couple of days).
    I haven't seen any physical signs of fleas or bed bugs and it's been two days since he sprayed (today is Dec 10). This is encouraging...but I'm still being bitten by something. Yesterday morning I woke up with clusters of bites (almost like a rash) on my chest and the base of my neck and this morning I woke up with two (possibly three? the third was very faded) bites on my stomach in what kind of looked like a triangle pattern, though the third one was so small and faded it was difficult to see.
    I've read that bed bugs bite in threes and triangles, and that fleas bite in clusters. I have all three of those types of bites on my back, stomach, chest, and legs, though none of them itch. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME? Is it possible I have bed bugs in addition to the fleas?
    I spoke to the property manager yesterday and she and the exterminator are both adamantly convinced that it is just the fleas and they're biting me out of desperation, since my dog is no longer an option for them. She also told me I would find no evidence of fleas at this late stage, but if I had bed bugs I would have found something. However, I am not convinced. Advice either way would be much much appreciated.

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2015 16:12:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't forget that bedbugs leave behind fecal staining. If it were bedbugs bites, there would be signs of poop somewhere.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. courtsmagortz

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2015 17:59:01
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 1 hour ago  » 
    Don't forget that bedbugs leave behind fecal staining. If it were bedbugs bites, there would be signs of poop somewhere.

Could these be fecal stains?

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2015 18:00:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Check out the images of bed bug fecal so you know what to look for. I don't think what you've posted is bed bug related.

5. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2015 18:01:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Fecal is generally along the piping of the mattress or along the edges of the box frame, especially where the wood intersects. I don't think that's fecal.

6. courtsmagortz

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2015 18:04:10
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Fecal is generally along the piping of the mattress or along the edges of the box frame, especially where the wood intersects. I don't think that's fecal.

Alright, thank you

7. thebugsgomarching

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2015 20:02:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm a vet tech, and flea master!

I bring home fleas every once in a while, but have never been infested. Keeping every pet in your household on a preventative year round is the only way to ensure you won't end up with a flea problem. When I do bring one home, I generally get bit along the edge of my sock (in a line), or along the edge of my bra (in a line). Everyone reacts differently to them, but I don't ever worry that is wasn't a flea based on bite patterns.

Fleas will take 6 months to get rid of, no matter if you are doing it alone or with a PCO. Approximately 5% of the flea population in your home are adults - that means you are not seeing 95% of them. No pesticide will kill/affect the pupae stage of a flea. They have to hatch for you to make progress.

Keep your pet on a preventative, and keep up with a spray every 2 weeks or so as needed. Your job is going to be harder because they are biting you. Fleas don't prefer humans, but can bite them and breed off of them if the population is high enough.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,257 posts in 46,757 topics over 142 months by 20,629 of 21,513 members. Latest: Ento1, jungr, laurwes