Bed bugs, but no bites...?

(9 posts)
  1. Az Kev

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 10:16:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all. I recently discovered that I had bedbugs, but I think I must have had them for quite some time, because when I finally got around to lifting the mattress up and checking, I found a couple of spots where there were some feces and carcasses (not a lot, but enough) as well as some living bugs. I guess the reason it took so long to even look for them is that I never really had any bites to speak of. Looking back, there were few times when I got some raised bumps on the back of my neck that were irritated, and those probably were bites. But I never had the numerous bites up and down the back and/or arms that people speak of.

What eventually alerted me to it was the number of dark spots I kept finding on my sheets - and the fact that the number of spots kept increasing. Then one night, I saw an actual live bug, and thought about all the reports I had been hearing in the news about bedbugs. I put 2 and 2 together, started looking at my mattress and box springs, and sure enough, I had bedbugs.

My immediate thought was to get rid of the bed and boxsprings entirely (they were pretty old anyway) and so I did that. I vacuumed the heck out of my room, which I keep very clean and uncluttered, and got rid of all my old bedding, pillows, etc. I did keep my comforter, but washed and dried it on hot at a laundromat I know that has EXTREMELY hot dryers. After all that, I thought I should probably be ok. That was one week ago.

Then, last night at about 3:30am, I felt something. I got up, turned on the light, and looked under my pillow (new pillow, with new pillowcase that I washed and dried before using), and to my dismay, there was a bedbug. Arggghhhh! I immediately went into "inspection" mode, and started checking the mattress (which is a brand new Sealy), boxsprings, pillows, etc. and found nothing else - no other bugs and no other signs of bugs. So my question is - is it possible this bug was just a carryover, a straggler that got away from the old mattress and springs I threw out and all the vacuuming I did? I really hope this might be the case, as I have spent over $750 already on trying to get rid of them, and I am going to be really bumming if I find out I didn't. Any advice or tales of similar experiences and what happened are greatly appreciated. I feel better having shared about this stuff, which has really been giving me the heebie jeebies!

2. aphe

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 10:26:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Some people don't react (or react much) to bites. I also had an infestation for a while before noticing because I didn't get the characteristic itchy groups of bites - just the odd red mark.

Throwing out your bed may well not clear the problem - it only takes a male/female pair or a pregnant female to re-infest and they can also live near the bed, not just in the bed.

Suggest you find a pest controller who's good with bed-bugs.

3. WestSide22

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 11:00:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I second the suggestion that you get a PCO in. If you rent, notify your landlord - s/he is responsible for treatment, as you may have either gotten them from another apartment or possibly and unknowingly spread them to a neighbor.
    As for where they live - it's anywhere near their food. After the second treatment, our bugs moved out of the bed into the closet. Specifically, inside the hollow rods where we hang our clothing. So, as ominous as it sounds (sorry!), they really could be anywhere.
    Good luck - I hope you are bug-free soon.

4. Az Kev

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 12:38:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the replies, as unsettling as they may be. I am getting in touch with a pest control operator (that is what PCO stands for I assume..?) here in Phoenix who seems to be on top of the bed bug problem. I must say, from everything I've seen, this really stinks. From the sounds of it, there is no real way to completely avoid getting them again - they can "hitch a ride" back into a home from about anywhere. One video I watched on it even said we may just have to learn to live with them for awhile.

Oooohhh, but I SOOOO don't want to do that! I am thinking of going the "boy in plastic bubble" route or something - creating some airtight sleep chamber I can sleep in! Lol. I'm sure many of you can relate. I only hope it doesn't cost too much to just get the initial estimate and inspection done. I wil let you all know what the results of it are when it is finished.

Thanks for your replies : )

5. WestSide22

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 13:18:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry to welcome you into the club - this Web site has been a lifesaver though. Good luck with everything.

6. Az Kev

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 15:27:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I called a local pest control company - they charge $150 to bring a dog out, then $20 a room to check. So for just my bedroom, I would be looking at $170 - sheez. I am considering waiting just a little while to see if any more popup before springing for that much cash - especially considering how much I have already spent.

But, if I do find another one, I guess I will just have to cough up the dough, because it is just too unsettling to think those little suckers are crawling on me at night - yikes! I appreciate the welcome all, and thanks for your replies and support. It really does help to know that other people are going through and have gone through this : )

7. SearchandDestroy

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 21:33:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, if you've already found some then why do you need to pay them to inspect? Just grab a bug, kill it with alcohol and put it in a ziploc for the pest co who will then charge for a treatment. Sometimes they'll charge for the dog but should then credit that amount toward treatment.

8. Az Kev

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 23:47:30
    #

Login to Send PM

You know what, that's a good point S&D - why didn't I think of that?! I guess I was thinking I would need them to bring the dog out anyway to find out exactly where they are coming from. But perhaps it wouldn't even matter - if they are going to treat it right, they would hit all possible hiding places, right? I guess I was thinking they would just focus on wherever the dog hit.

I am going to remain in a holding pattern for a bit; I have a "redneck bug trap"on the all the legs of the new metal frame of my new bed : packing tape circled around on itself so the sticky side is out. I'm not quite sure what I hope to achieve, other than MAYBE keeping them off me at night (if there are still more left) and possibly determining from where, or what direction anyway, they might be coming.

Oy vey - this bones it! I really feel bad for people who have had to deal with major infestations. I am fairly certain mine is minor in comparison, and I can only imagine how bad this stuff can actually get. In fact, I read a story about a guy here in Phoenix who got so distraught and crazy from constant bedbug bites that one night, when he was drunk and trying to go to sleep and couldn't, he actually pulled the sheets off his bed and started them on fire! Sad thing is, I can actually understand now why a person might do that. One thing is for certain - I WILL cough up the cash long before it gets to that point!

9. cacutie

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 2:26:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I never got bitten either until I squished a live bug crawling across my bed. Then all of a sudden after I sprayed the ones I found hiding in my bed rails, I had a couple of blood spots on my sheets, which prompted me to take further action. But at no time did i have blood spots, fecal stains or bites before then.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,455 posts in 48,828 topics over 151 months by 21,440 of 21,843 members. Latest: Beardface, BugBrosHauntingMe, brokengarage