Bed bugs, bad advice spread in Orlando, Florida

(3 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 19 2013 0:43:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Orlando, Florida firefighters fighting bed bugs: "The first step is to toss out all the mattresses."

Huh?!?

Please read the new Bedbugger blog post on this story here.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 19 2013 5:46:13
    #

Login to Send PM

In this case i guess throwing the mattresses away is okay for them if doing so helps alleviate their anxiety , since they of course will be getting new mattresses delivered to them in short order, but doing such a thing is not necessary and may in fact help to spread bed bugs, as unless they are immediately hauled away to the dump there are plenty of people around who are looking for free mattresses at the side of the road and will gladly take them, along with some unexpected hitchhikers, home. Throwing furniture away is a common reaction to the sudden appearance of bed bugs in the home, i personally know many people in my previously bed bug infested building who threw away their mattresses and even the bed itself when they first found out about the infestation. There is even one lady here who tossed EVERY piece of furniture she owned in the garbage and is still sleeping on an army style cot because she lacks the financial resources to replace her stuff. In my opinion the landlord is often the cause of the problem, as in the case of my building the landlord became hysterical when she was first made aware of the problem, and she threatened many tenants (Nearly all of whom are on a very limited fixed income) with eviction if they didn't throw away their mattresses, sofas, e.t.c. What she didn't know is that furniture kept inside the unit will all be treated by the exterminator along with the unit itself (Heat was used in this case) and for people with limited incomes tossing out furniture can really set them back and cause more emotional stress than the bugs by themselves can.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  3. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 19 2013 9:10:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh. So much wrong with that article.

"Fifteen adult-sized bugs can fit on the surface of a dime." Really? Then I must have had some mutant sized bed bugs, cause there's no way 15 of them would have fit on a dime!

Couldn't find a comment option to advice them to come to this website for some education.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,903 posts in 50,059 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,370 members. Latest: Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019, aims6186