Bed Bugs back after 10 months?? HELP!

(3 posts)
  1. becomingparanoid

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 26 2012 0:13:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I used Isotech back in February (about 10 months ago) to take care of a bed bug problem which remained after I had moved from another apt. Nothing was visible to the inspector but when i had the bed bug canines check, they alerted to a couch and picture in my room. Isotech chemically treated the entire room, and heat treated the couches which were also being stored in the bedroom... they even brought a dog back to inspect a month later and found nothing.

I thought the problem had been taken care of, but tonight I found a dead bed bug near the wall where I sleep (I am still sleeping on an air mattress since I got rid of my bed). It looks like an adult, but I can't tell how long it has been dead for. I have not been getting bitten since the treatment (as far as I'm aware), however, this past week my boyfriend had a single itchy welt on his arm (he has not noticed anything before this either).

I have heard the bed bugs can go dormant, but is it really possible to still have these bugs around and not have been bitten for 10 months?? Previously, I was very sensitive to their bites. I have not seen any spotting or found any other signs...

Advice?? My boyfriend and I are moving into a new apt this weekend but I want to be sure we are not taking anything with us and get rid of the problem in the current apt!!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 26 2012 5:08:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Although bedbugs can survive without food got extended periods of time they will not go dormant if food options are available.

If you take and post a picture of the dead bug and then test to see how brittle it is there is every chance it's an old one that has just worked itself loose from its refugia where it had died.

The only other statistically probably scenario for a long period of no activity then starting again is re contact with a source of bedbugs again.

Hope that explains.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. becomingparanoid

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 28 2012 1:45:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately my camera does not take a clear picture, but I will post it if I can take a good one at some point.

Any chance you (or anyone else) might be able to tell me what color dead bed bugs usually are? I had Isotech check my apt with one of their canines, but he did not alert to anything and said I was in the clear. He did, however, confirm my bug was a bed bug - but was unable to tell me how long it had been dead for...he said weeks, maybe months. He said the older dead bugs he usually sees are darker (black) in color. Not very comforting. The bug I found was very copper in color, had its legs tucked under its body, and looks pretty dried out, but I'm no expert. Any thoughts?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,893 posts in 50,057 topics over 155 months by 21,882 of 22,369 members. Latest: sai, Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019