Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Bed bugs are ruining my entire life (sanity, relationship with parents and bf)

(11 posts)
  1. willthiseverend101

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 3:00:35
    #

Login to Send PM

About a month ago I discovered bed bugs. I currently live with my parents and found out that I got them from my boyfriend’s apartment. My boyfriend doesn’t have the money for an exterminator so he’s been doing DIY treatments but I have not been over to his apartment since they were confirmed there. I react to the bites by swelling up in what appears to be hives and whenever I was getting them really bad I decided to check my mattress and lo and behold there they were.

We originally thought that the infestation was in the beginning stages but now I’m not so sure. The day we found them in my mattress we washed and dried all of my bedding on high heat, scrubbed the carpets, bagged up all of the stuff under my bed, and used a diffuser and repelling essential oils. We tore my bed apart and searched it top to bottom. We found two hiding under the seam of the dust cover or whatever it’s called but no more, so we thought we beat them. I moved into the guest bedroom (have not slept in my old room since we found them) and I haven’t seen any black spots or bites so I assumed all was good.

About a week ago I went out for a bit with my boyfriend. I did not go into his apartment but we were driving around and walking around town playing Pokémon Go. I noticed a lot of beds out on the side of the road and suspected that a bunch of places in town are currently infested. Well, when I got home I checked my shoes and found a bed bug clinging to the back of it. I was shaking and in a full blown panic attack. My parents were asleep when this happened. I was up until 4 am. I searched my shoes inside and out. I found one more that almost crawled under the fridge in the kitchen but I killed it. I found another dead with dog hair so I’m assuming my dog tracked it.

I told my mom the next day and she freaked out and started screaming at me. Some pretty hurtful things were said and she’s accusing me of destroying our family and basically wants me to break up with my boyfriend because he gave them to me. But I’m still in love with him and I just can’t help feeling like bed bugs is such a crappy reason for a breakup.

Anyways, we cleaned the kitchen and found one more. This included mopping, more essential oils, and moving the fridge and everything that we could as well as vacuuming the rugs. Once again we thought all was handled until tonight.

Earlier I found one in my closet in my old room clinging to a shirt that was hanging pretty low to the floor. I looked at the other shirts and didn’t see anything and checked the carpet and also didn’t see anything. Until my parents found a couple on my moms quilt that she’s been working on for years (downstairs very far away from the infested bedroom) a cast off in the kitchen, and one on my dresser in my old room. My mom is ready to burn the quilt that she’s spent years on and move out.

I am at my wits end. All of the bed bugs we’ve found have been so spread out that it’s hard to tell where all they could be hiding. I’ve cleaned out my car twice now (vacuuming and spraying and thoroughly inspecting what I can) and I check my shoes and clothes every time I come home and don’t find anything. My old infested bedroom is right next to my new bedroom and I am terrified because two live ones were found in there today so I’m wondering what is preventing them from crawling into my new room and biting me up. My parents basically hate me for all of this trouble and are now talking about an exterminator which is 2500 dollars because our whole house will have to be treated. They’re pushing me to break up with my boyfriend and I’m starting to feel like that’s the only solution along with burning everything I own.

I don’t know what to do anymore. I’m shaking and crying because I feel like this is never going to end and bed bugs are going to win and destroy not only my mental sanity but also my relationships with my boyfriend and parents. Any advice or encouragement is appreciated.

2. Mf1616

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 13:35:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you positive they’re bed bugs? Try posting a picture for an ID if you can.

For the record, I am NOT an expert.
    My advice/opinion comes from past experience(s) with bed bugs and what I have read on-line.
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 13:58:34
    #

Login to Send PM

The locations make me wonder if you're identifying the insects correctly. Please post images of what you're finding.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  4. willthiseverend101

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 21:59:40
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 7 hours ago  » 
    The locations make me wonder if you're identifying the insects correctly. Please post images of what you're finding.

I’m not quite sure how to post pictures from here especially on my phone, but I am 100% certain they were bed bugs. When I found them in my bed I found a few males and a larger female along with the tell tale black spots from feces, yellow cast offs, and several little yellow eggs that looked like grains of rice. All of the rest I’ve found have looked the same. What I don’t understand is why they’re so spread out in the house and why they haven’t crawled their way back into a bedroom looking for a meal since we keep finding random ones. I found one in my closet close to my bed and a rogue one on the side of my dresser. I’m currently tearing the dresser apart searching for more.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 23:48:11
    #

Login to Send PM

You can post to imgur.com or Flickr.com and paste the URL in here to make a link. Getting an ID is always a good thing.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. willthiseverend101

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 10 2018 2:49:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 2 hours ago  » 
    You can post to imgur.com or Flickr.com and paste the URL in here to make a link. Getting an ID is always a good thing.

Okay here’s a picture of one I found. Sorry it’s a little blurry
    https://m.imgur.com/Uc3RwSR
    P$J((*7Inlqz

7. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 10 2018 13:19:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert but it looks a lot like a bed bug to me.

FYI essential oil/repellents are useless. For one thing, you don't want to repel them, you want to kill them. Even if they feel "repelled", they'll come out to feed when hungry enough.

8. Mf1616

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 10 2018 14:18:51
    #

Login to Send PM

willthiseverend101 - 11 hours ago  » 

Nobugsonme - 2 hours ago  » 

Okay here’s a picture of one I found. Sorry it’s a little blurry
    https://m.imgur.com/Uc3RwSR
    P$J((*7Inlqz

Yeah definitely looks like a bed bug to me. Sorry

If you can’t afford treatment, try getting some Cimexa or DE and a good steamer. Try sealing any cracks around your bed and in your bed frame. There are some stories online that I’ve read of people successfully self treating, however, your issue sounds like it’s pretty spread out around the entire house so it might be quite difficult to handle on your own. Again, I’m sorry for what you’re going through. I know how you feel. It sucks, but you will get through this...

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 11 2018 10:47:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, a bed bug or close relative.
    It sounds like the repellent worked, now they're in all kindsa fun spots that may be harder to find.
    I would stop self-treating and call in a professional at this point. Be sure and tell them everything you've done so far, it'll help to know what's been applied, where and when.

10. Stressedbugmom

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 17 2018 19:13:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I just wanted to give you a virtual hug. We are lucky and can afford professional treatment, but I still have found this to be one of the most stressful experiences. We have been super secretive about it because I’m worried about the type of reactions you are getting. I’m terrified that my kids brought this to school or I brought it to work before we knew. I hate hate hate it.

11. mcsmcs

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 18 2018 21:48:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I have to say I'm impressed if you self-identified gender. both because that's impressive and because I couldn't have looked that closely. Virtual hug to you as well. This is so stressful. I would call in a pro or other wise read some of the self treatment threads here with input from professionals.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,376 posts in 46,305 topics over 141 months by 20,411 of 21,249 members. Latest: berry1, kt_f, newbee