bed bugs and what works for me

(13 posts)
  1. montanaguy

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 12:09:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I do use a spray, but also on my furniture, which has various designs that are perfect for a living space for the bed bug, I spray (using a bottle with a pump for spray - not canned cooking spray but that may work well also) my cooking Virgin Olive Oil on that area and spread it with my medical glove covered hand(s).

Oil and bugs just do not mix.

In areas you usually do not see, I allow the spiders to spin their webs and enjoy their catch.

This may not eliminate 100% of this bug problem, but it cuts it down 90 some %.

Also, drying in modern steam venting dryer which I understand is hot enough to do in their eggs.

2. Bug Slayer

banned

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 12:47:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Explain.

3. montanaguy

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 13:40:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have used Spam in a spray can and sprayed all the wood areas of my furniture, such as where support beams or slats meet (rt angles and great places for bedbugs and their eggs), but I have discovered that using my cooking spray bottle (generic spray bottles from any store, sold empty for any use), fill those for my kitchen use.

I take one and spray parts of the wood ares of rt angles and design areas of inlaid cuts in the furniture, and then wearing medical gloves, I spread the oil over the entire wooded area where I have discovered them living, or their eggs. (most of these areas are not noticed by guests at all)

I have a futon frame that has inlaid cuts (groves) in the design, oddly, and most are not in the visible area (areas of furniture that I would not concern myself with in the past are now the areas of concern as their the nesting areas, via my observation) . I have sprayed those and spread the oil with my gloved hands. I do not spray every inch, but here and there, spreading the oil to any nitch that bedbugs lay in during the daylight hours.

I have also sprayed and spread the oil on the floor boards that adjoin the neighboring apartments. I have discovered even in my clean apartment, they travel in the walls between apartments.

I have sprayed and spread the oil in kitchen areas that are not public to the eye, especially where I have seen roaches or bedbugs.

Spray for bedbugs certainly helps, but many neighbors seem to have no clue on the issue. And sometimes this is a cultural difference.

Hope this helps

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 13:56:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Montana.

Yes, dryers could really be crowned "hero" in this battle (clean dry clothes can be debugged directly in the dryer, bypassing the wash).

About the oil, did you find that it kills bugs on contact? Or, does it just create a hostile environment for bugs, so they don't harbor in a treated item? (Some experts are concerned about repelling BB, as that could cause them to scatter to less accessible places in the home or your things.)

Contact killers can be useful in a battle against BB, if used properly (that's beyond my expertise). Many soaps and detergents kill on contact (some of the very pricey "green" sprays are just scented cleansers). 91% Alcohol is also useful (but flammable and can damage some finishes). Often, we hear of people using very harsh cleaners (like bleach), when there's likely something compatible with the surface. If oil works, that's great for wood.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 15:02:06
    #

Login to Send PM

> I have used Spam

You meant "Pam", right?

6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 15:11:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Food oils will go rancid. That is not going to smell good at all when that day comes

Jim

7. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 15:15:46
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL! Yes, I think he meant "Pam". Spam is that meat-like substance that comes in a can.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 15:24:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Please be careful as food oils also tend to be the favorite food of roaches and you don't want to be over feeding them as well.

As others have said there are more effective, cheaper and safer alternatives to contact killers.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  9. montanaguy

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 15:54:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Right:-)...it is Pam;-)

But Spam is good for me....;-) Oh, I guess I need to hire an editor, and I thought I had edited...life is so cool. I was just remembering that restaurant skit where only spam and eggs were on the menu;-)

10. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 16:14:12
    #

Login to Send PM

toledo - 57 minutes ago  » meat-like substance that comes in a can.

Aka "Smeat"

11. montanaguy

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 2 2011 12:14:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I use only Virgin Olive Oil and have no return of any insect where I spray and/or spread it, thinly.
    No bedbugs in those areas, except those dead who entered on the oil, and no roaches in the kitchen.
    I do clean those areas now and then as dust will eventually lay upon the oil.

I rarely use any chemical spray, but have added a bed bug spray in areas where my oil choice is not appropriate.

I chose this method as I have an African Gray and use few over the counter chemicals for any reason.

I was raised around many animals when a child and their were used many natural products for control of insects in the house and kennels/cages.

Ones working method may not be appropriate for another, and I certainly respect that.

12. Scatchy

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Nov 12 2018 11:15:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to post what worked for me. When I turned to this site, I did not get many replied from experts. But, after some experimentation, many hours of internet research and a conversation with a local pest control professional, I can offer this advice:

Have an exterminator spray to kill the adult bugs.
    - A company hired by my landlord come twice at 1 week intervals.
    - Eggs continued to hatch and I continued to get bites.

Get out, taking only clothing and luggage that has been through the drier
    - I packed in cloth bags and garbage bags. I took some books that had been microwaved.

Hot Shot No Pest Strips
    - I placed at least 1 strip in each room. I believe they are effective for spaces up to 10 x 14 feet.
    - Stay away for 7 days, if you can while the strips kill the eggs and any remaining adults. I was only able to be away for 5 1/2 days, but it still worked.

After that I was able to move my stuff and the bugs did not come with me.

13. SalsaVince

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Nov 12 2018 11:35:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Scatchy (Scratchy?),
    You mentioned that not many people replied to your posts on here. From what I can tell, you've never started a new topic. Near the top of the page of the forums, there's a link that you can click to add a new topic. When you have a question or want to share your experience, that's the best way to do it to keep things organized. When you add your questions to the end of someone else's thread, it may not get noticed and can be confusing, like how this 7 year old topic got resurrected now from your latest post.
    Regarding your bed bug fight, that's great that you were able to escape them without bringing them with you. Probably, the most important thing that helped was getting those initial treatments from the PCO, even though you still had some bites after. It does take several weeks to kill all of them as they hatch. It would be good to keep monitoring for them at your new place occasionally just to be safe, but I hope you never see them again. Thanks for sharing.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,235 posts in 50,144 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago