Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Bed Bugs and Pets

(7 posts)
  1. cbradio

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 2 2008 1:37:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Tonight I discovered my first bed bug. Needless to say, I am not happy about this. They were on a throw pillow under my bed, which I immediately put in a plastic bag and threw down the garbage shoot in my building. I checked my matress and bed frame and found a few there which I vacuumed up (and then promptly cleaned the vacuum. I am going to call my management company tomorrow. However, I am worried about pesticides because I have a cat. Are there PCOs (I'm already learning the terminology) that provide pet-safe services? I've read that PCOs have to be careful about the sprays they use because we sleep on our matresses, so my assumption would be that if the poisons are safe for me to sleep in they would be safe around my cat. I could take my cat to a friend's apartment while the spraying is done, but I don't want to bring him back into an unsafe environment. I live in a studio, so keeping the cat in a different room is not really an option. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Overwhelmed

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 2 2008 2:20:13
    #

Login to Send PM

My PCO told me that I should keep my cat out of the apartment for 4 hours after they put chemicals down. Basically, anything they spray needs to dry before the cat comes back in.

3. cbradio

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 3 2008 0:45:10
    #

Login to Send PM

oh, well that's easy enough. I can just ship kitty over to my sister's apartment until it's safe.

here's another question - do bedbugs bite pets? I checked my cat's bed tonight and there was no visible sign of bed bugs. I had washed it 3 weeks ago. He usually sleeps on the floor, on my kitchen island (yes, I know this is gross and I can't keep him off), in my bathtub or bathroom sink (weird) or in his bed. do I have to worry about the bugs munching on him?

4. vampiremenionprey

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 3 2008 0:51:09
    #

Login to Send PM

i have read that it is sometimes common for them to hitchhike on pets. I'm not so sure about feeding, maybe one of the pro's can answer that question for us. However to be on the safe side I would say was the bedding and bag it before the PCO sprays, that way it will be clean and fresh for kitty to sleep on. I would also reccomend a bath before you send him off to your sisters.

5. Overwhelmed

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 3 2008 1:13:23
    #

Login to Send PM

My understanding is that they would rather feed on people than pets because we don't have fur, but will bite pets as well. My cat hasn't seemed particularly itchy throughout this, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he hasn't had any hitchhikers, because when I first found out I had the bed bugs I had no idea how easy they were to spread and he went off to my roommate's parents house for the first treatments. For the last couple treatments I've flea combed him (he loves being flea combed anyway) and then brought him to the vet. It's too cold to give him a bath and then take him outside. Thus far I haven't found anything on him. I also gave him a dose of Revolution because I had some in a drawer anyway and I figured it couldn't hurt, but I'm skeptical as to whether or not it actually helps either.

6. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 3 2008 3:29:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Usinger's Monograph states that domestic pets on rare occasions may transport bed bugs. I don't believe that it is common, but it is possible.

Bed bugs will feed an other mammals & birds as alternative hosts, but generally prefer human beings.

7. angie

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 3 2008 11:33:31
    #

Login to Send PM

When we were in our infested unit, the bb's did bite my dog. She is a short hair and you could see the bumps on her skin. I would give her baths with flea and tick shampoo every 2 weeks and that did seem to help her. And yes, the chemicals that they put down for bb treatment is bad for pets. We had to take our dog, iguana, and bird to the neighbors apartment and make sure that the fish tank was tightly covered and pumps shut off. Oh cbradio, my cat sleeps in the tub and the bathroom sink too. Loves to play in running water. Weird!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,592 posts in 45,046 topics over 137 months by 19,776 of 20,508 members. Latest: Mousehead, AnxietyCentral, Ohhmichasia