Bed bugs and moving - help!

(2 posts)
  1. Addie

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Aug 24 2010 20:06:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sure this topic has com up a billion times, so I hope you can all bare with me. I've been running on less than 3 hours of sleep a night for a week, and easily suffer information overload when I try to look up ways to deal with this problem. So I'm hoping maybe by posting here, someone will be able to offer suggestions as to what to do. I just hope someone has the patience to read to the end of this.

So I've got bed bugs. I haven't found them yet, but I have the tell tale marks of bites in a row. I've been here before. I had them back in December when my heavily infested neighbour didn't report the problem, and they spread to my unit. I never had them that bad, but it was enough to drive me crazy. After 2 having the place sprayed twice, the other unit being sprayed (neighbours left) and doing some heavy prep work, the problem seemed to go away.

That being said, I finally had plans to move (move date is end of September), when I started getting bites again. Turns out the other neighbour (between my unit and the last infested unit) was never sprayed, and even with attempts to seal up the baseboards and all cracks in the walls, they seem to have come back to me.

I already knew some of my furniture needed to be replaced (like the bed frame and desk that I hot-glued every crack and space in them to make fewer hiding spots). But now I'm terrified that no matter how hard I try to avoid taking them with me, that I still run the risk.

So this is my plan, and I'm wondering if you all think it might work.

The building is supposed to be making arrangements to have the first spraying done soon. I've been heating and bagging what I can.

After the first spraying, I was thinking of throwing out all the furniture, except the stuff I really want - the large (expensive) tv wall unit, the dining room set, and the computer printer stand (it's fairly new). The rest (bed frame, mattress, desk, wardrobe, and couch) will have to go unfortunately. Besides most that stuff is ruined from either gluing, or constant wet-steaming.

Then, if there is enough time, I will get the second spraying done.

I figure I will then heat treat all clothing, and things like backpacks, purses, etc. again, and bag it up. We are getting an Enviromate E3 dry steamer to try and save some more stuff. Like shoes and sports equipment. I was thinking that with the floor/carpet attachment, I might be able to take apart the furniture and quickly steam. The dining room set is solid varnished wood and fabric seats, which I don't anticipate will be a problem.
    But the wall unit and printer stand.. are what do you call it? Fake wood? Laminated particle board? Does anyone have experience steaming these kinds of things? I'm worried that either moisture will seep in (especially on the exposed particle board on the bottom), or lift the laminate.

I've been trying to heat treat my large collection of books in the oven. I'm not even sure the problem spread into the living room (the first time or this one), where all the books are. But I don't want to take chances. I can't get a packtite. Now I've heard people say bake for 4 hours at 120F... but the lowest my oven goes is 190F. And since I have so many books, I can only keep them in there for 1 - 1.5 hours. Besides, after that amount of time, the binding seems to start to melt. So I was wondering... since I spend so little time near most the books, and they were tightly backed onto the bookshelves... what do you all think are the chances they are affected by bugs, and if treating them this way will be enough?

Other problem items... What do I do with my electronics, 2 computers, and kitchen appliances? Again, no packtite. And I cant get most of that stuff in the freezer (doubt it's even cold enough). One computer is in the bedroom, and the laptop has visited that room a few times. I've heard there are pest strips that you can bag things with, but also that they are possibly corrosive on electronics. And I really wouldn't want to use them on kitchen appliances. I can try and clean the tower computer out with compressed air... but not the laptop or LCD monitor since I can't open them. Any suggestions? Im not sure if the PCO, along with spraying some furniture and the perimeter of the rooms, also uses a fogger... but if he did, would that scare any potential buggies out of my electronics?

Last but not least, anyone know the contact temp at which all bed bug life stages instantly die? Asides from steaming, I was thinking I could throw some things in boiling water quickly to make sure there is no risk of bug hitchhikers.

I know I must sound crazy... but I'm desperate. I've spent 10 months too many in this hellhole and want the nightmare to end.

I'll probably keep steaming the new place a few times a week for ages... out of fear that Ive brought them with me... or that I'll get them from someone there too. Who would think bugs could be so mentally exhausting?

2. Addie

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Aug 24 2010 20:09:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I also forgot to ask... what are the chances the dog can carry bed bugs on her? or even in her ears (I worry when I see her shaking her head a lot). Would brushing her well and giving her a really good bath do the job?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,666 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com