bed bugs and CDs

(14 posts)
  1. trinaleigh

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 11:01:37
    #

Login to Send PM

My fiance owns any where from 8000 to 10,000 cds. We are not sure what to with them. We have had bed bugs since the spring of 2010. Being treated every two weeks from terminx. The last time I was bitten was about a month ago. Sunday morning I found a nymph and a medium size bug on the mattress encasement, these bugs didn't feed yet. We also don't sleep on the beds. Anyway....

We are moving, buying all new furniture and taking all the precautions we can think of but aren't really sure what to do or steps to take concerning the cd's.
    We are taking all the cd's out of the jewel cases (throwing all cases and paper in trash). Putting cd's now in those cd books. The main question...Do we need to wipe down every cd with alcohol?? Should we put the cd's in theses books and then store them away for 18 months?? We can't take the stress from these bed bugs anymore. Anybody have any answers or suggestions??

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 11:12:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure what alcohol will do to a CD. Hand dishwashing soap is a lot easier on the discs. You can hand inspect in a clean well lit place. You can also treat your inserts in a packtite or keep them bagged for the requisite time (scientific opinions vary).

If Vikane fumigation for moving is available in your area, you can treat and save all your things, furniture included, in one shot.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. trinaleigh

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 11:22:45
    #

Login to Send PM

What is Vikane fumigation?? Also we don't have any more money to spend on this. So trying to do the best thing the cheapest way possible.

I heard, hope it is true, that alcohol 91% will kill bed bugs. that is the reason for the use of alcohol.

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 12:07:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Trina:

91% alcohol will kill bugs, but not eggs, if you hit them with it directly. But so will many household cleaners. Plus, smooth shiny discs should be easy enough to inspect for bugs and eggs.

Vikane is a gas that can be pumped through a truck or container. It kills bugs and eggs. It is done by specialized technicians.

These are just two of several methods for fighting BB.

Experts recommend that you do sleep in the infested/treated area. This draws the surviving and next-gen bugs out of hiding and over the poisons.

This site has a good FAQ and a collection of links to comprehensive guides to fighting BB (the State of Michigan is particularly good).

And hit us with specific questions, like this one. Welcome.

5. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 12:11:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Suggestion – based on concept that simple clear one-sided tape such as "scotch tape", even if only 1/2 inch wide, such as...

http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Biggest-Selection/MMM144/10Q1

...with the NON-sticky side exposed can block bed bugs from climbing vertically – not because they get stuck but because they can't get a grip. According to my own experiments on two bed bugs this works, and I hope to have other people, who have access to a lot more bed bugs to test on than I do, repeat this experiment soon so as to provide further confirmation.

Please see threads...

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/can-clear-non-sticky-tape-block-bbs-from-climbing-vertically?

and

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/an-awful-thought

...as background.

Therefore in my opinion what you should do is place all the cd books together on top of any kind of table or platform or whatever that will fit them. Then simply place "scotch tape" with the NON-sticky side exposed around the four legs, or however many legs, of the table or platform.

Any bb's exiting the cd's and departing the table/platform looking for food therefore won't be able to return.

Or you could put the cd books on any shelf and simply place tape on the front edges, horizontal and vertical, of the shelf so that likewise, bb's exiting can't return. (The shelf can be free-standing or wall-integrated, as long as it's open only in the front, not also in the back.) (If the shelf has more than one compartment/level horizontally and/or vertically, with horizontal and/or vertical cracks between the different compartments/levels, cover the cracks between the compartments/levels such as with duct tape so the bugs can't crawl from one compartment/level to another through the cracks.)

Because – be sure to understand: if the cd's have any bugs in them, the bugs can't just stay there and grow and reproduce and multiply; they have to come out regularly and feed, then go back in, then come out and feed, then go back in, etc..

So if the cd's are separated from the floor by a simple tape barrier the bugs can't cross from down to up, they can exit the cd's one time (they can always cross the tape from up to down of course) looking to feed, but then won't be able to return into the cd's.

So the cd's will empty out of any bed bugs that may be in them.

Furthermore, as long as you keep the cd's on the table or platform or in the shelf, the bugs definitely won't be able to re-infest them at any future time. Whereas if you were to steam or gas the cd's but not partition them from the surroundings with tape, you would have no assurance the bugs would not come right back.

Note also that if you try to clear the cd's of bugs by wiping them with alcohol or soap, or similar measures, likewise you don't have any guarantee the bugs won't come right back if you haven't placed some kind of bugproof barrier between the cd's and the surroundings.

You could wipe down the cd's and then put them on the table/platform or in the shelf protected by tape – but why do all that work wiping since the bugs have to exit anyway aiming to feed, and won't be able to come back if you've placed tape (as soon as I can get independent confirmation the tape works for this purpose)?

You may be thinking: sounds fine but won't it take an awful long time? Because you've read bed bugs can live 18 months or longer without feeding.

But I don't think the 18+ months is applicable here.

For one thing, the 18+ months may only be in low temperatures around 50 degrees Fahrenheit. At 70 or 80 degrees Fahrenheit it's believed to be much shorter, likely in the neighborhood of two to six months. See http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/unfed-nymph-lifespan-without-food .

For another thing, the 18+ months may only apply to bed bugs that are involuntarily kept from moving around to search for food. But if there are bugs in your cd's, as soon as they get hungry presumably they'll set out looking for a blood meal. They won't wait around, sitting there hungry in your cd's. So they should all be out in a week or two or three I would think.

6. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 20:08:17
    #

Login to Send PM

P.S. Let's take this one step further.

Maybe the bed bugs will exit your cd's in one or two or three weeks, but you still don't like the idea that the bugs, especially if numerous, will then be in your living space looking for a meal i.e. *you*.

So in that case, you want to have some automatic way to corral the exiting bugs during this period.

Let's say you're using a shelf to put your cd books on, with the front horizontal and vertical edges of the shelf taped with "scotch tape" as described. And let's say it's a free-standing shelf with a "footprint" that measures, say, 12 inches by 18 inches – like one shelf I actually have here in my own home.

In that case, find some corrugated cardboard box that measures a bit larger, say, 15 inches by 21 inches. Maybe remove the top portion of the box with a box cutter. Then use duct tape to tape over the folds and flaps etc. in the bottom of the box. Then tape clear one-sided "scotch tape" or clear mailing/packaging tape in a continuous horizontal strip around the inside of the box.

Then place the shelf inside the box. Duct-tape the bottom of the shelf to the bottom of the box so no bugs can crawl under the shelf.

Now, any bed bugs departing the cd's and the shelf will find themselves trapped in the corrugated cardboard box with no way to climb out because they'll encounter the smooth clear tape on the box sides. You'll then dispense doom to the bugs one by one.

Or if you store your cd's on a table or platform, naturally it's best if the table or platform has a relatively small "footprint" so it's easy to find a corrugated box large enough to fit around the legs with some clearance.

Of course the "corral" doesn't have to be a corrugated cardboard box, it can be any wooden or plastic trough or tray or anything you can rig up, as long as its sides are vertical or near-vertical and you put horizontal clear smooth tape around the interior sides to keep bugs from climbing out.

7. controlfreak

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 20:19:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Burn the cds into a hard drive and play from there. I tried to convince my husband to do that, he said no, i thought of accidentally dumping them to somewhere far far away... Now i am going to put them in plastic containers with ddvp and leave at storage for 4 weeks (you gotta open them outside and air)...

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 20:50:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm for ripping your CD to hard drive (if you haven't done that yet) and also rooting for you to find a way to keep your liner notes (I'm a fan of liner notes and like to review them from time to time). You're in panic/moving mode right now, and there's an instinct to toss things. Do that, if it really doesn't mean anything to you, but remember that this is do-able.

JRBT: I'm not sure about your method in this case, for the following reason:

A, this is an imminent move situation. Of course bugs want/need to come out and feed, but we don't know if all the bugs will decide to do this pre-move. We don't know if there are eggs waiting to hatch post move. (Note: Experts advise that in most situations, there are actually few bugs in places not where you sleep/sit for long periods, so there may not be many BB in your CDs, but you want a "clean" move, so vigilance is appropriate).

B, your method seems to make sense with a few objects, but this is a library of 10,000 CDs. Besides the complexity and clutter of stacking all of these on some table, you run two risks that I can identify:
    1, the stack might fall.
    2, the stacking of so many objects might close off an exit route for bugs, which could then go free if the items shift post "treatment".

Finally, I have to question the method altogether. I like it. Simple, elegant, low-tech. But you tried it with two bugs in conditions that may be unique to you. I'd put a big asterisk alongside this method pending more trials and some commentary for some of the old-timers who can address this critically.

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 22:24:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Note. I'm not an expert and can't render an expert judgement as the effectiveness of your tape method.

10. trinaleigh

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 22:31:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to thank you all for your help.

This has been a very long struggle that we thought was over, well atleast under control. Our lives have been torn apart by these little critters and have done all we could. The cd's mean a lot to my fiance, it is not hundreds but yes...thousands. So I guess we or really he will do what we first thought had to be done. INSPECT EVERY CD, still trashing the cases and inserts and all the wooden cd racks. no other belongings will really be moving with us, except for the clothes which will go through there major wash dry trama that they go through weekly. Some collectable decorations that also will be searched and cleaned. TV, VCR, DVD, Stereo speakers and computer. Sure I am missing some stuff but to much to think and do. If money was nothing we would just pick up and leave. We just want our lives back to normal. The chemical burns, chest pains and breathing problems from these darn chemicals are only some of our discomforts. We are very lucky that we rent and the landlord is paying the bill, but the stuff is not working and he just wants to blame others.

Sorry have so much to say that I totally went off the subject...

If anyone has other suggestions, advice or opinions please, PRETTY PLEASE, feel free to post. I am more than thankful to hear what everone has to say!!! Most of my nights are awake on the computer trying to figure out what is the best and right thing to do!!

Trina

11. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 22:37:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Trina,

Best of luck to you from all of us during your time of stressful transition.

cilecto,

Your feedback is much appreciated and you're right, this does have a big asterisk next to it at the moment.

One prominent bedbugger.com participant is currently testing the tape hypothesis with materials furnished by me, so I hope a report will be forthcoming soon. If it passes that test, perhaps others who have access to plenty of sample bugs will reproduce the experiment and if everyone gets a consistent, clear-cut result that bugs can't climb the clear non-sticky tape, hopefully this can become a wide-ranging, versatile tool for use in a huge variety of situations.

Thanks for your compliment of "Simple, elegant, low-tech" and don't forget CHEAP! Because so many people on this forum if not a substantial majority in fact, and people worldwide suffering from the pestilence, dearly need not just weapons against it, but LOW-BUDGET weapons.

jrbtnyc

12. trinaleigh

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 23:08:44
    #

Login to Send PM

controlfreak - 2 hours ago  » 
    Burn the cds into a hard drive and play from there. I tried to convince my husband to do that, he said no, i thought of accidentally dumping them to somewhere far far away... Now i am going to put them in plastic containers with ddvp and leave at storage for 4 weeks (you gotta open them outside and air)...

What is ddvp, sorry not to good with slang or abbreviations. I really did believe things had to be stored for longer periods of time, or atleast extreme heat and being enclosed.

I live half the week at his house and the other at my own. With 5 months of not knowing what was attacking me, leaving huge itchy welts all over my body and only happening to me. Bring clothes, personal belongings and daughter back and forth. I am Thankful that they for some reason didn't come for the ride. But I thought ur stuff or whatever had to be stored away for at the least a year.

13. Callisto

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 23:26:43
    #

Login to Send PM

DDVP is a type of fumigant. Two brand names that are commonly bandied about the forum are Hot Shot and Nuvan. The time frame the controlfreak was referring to is considered a reasonable amount of time for the bugs to all hatch and be exposed to the poison.

Here's a thread with some info:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/ddvp-pest-strip-question
    If you search for ddvp in the forum that should yield some other results

14. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 5:44:51
    #

Login to Send PM

If you're going to take your CDs out of their jewel boxes, you might consider packing them on spindles (aka "cake platters"). They seem more space efficient and offer less potential hiding places for bugs than "books".
    http://www.meritline.com/dvd-cd-cake-box-spindle-100-storage---p-20381.aspx?source=fgmedia

But the more I think about it, I feel that the best way to deal with CDs, (if you're not fumigating your belongings) is to store them whole. Get enough plastic bins to hold them all and a lot of plastic tape. Rip a few dozen CDs to your MP3. Pack the rest up without taking anything apart, without treatment, then securely tape the bins shut, closing any holes or gaps. Keep the bins shut for the requisite time that science recommends. This ranges from the oft-cited 18 months (which is not really that long) to as little as 6 months (based on emerging data).

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956