Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bed bugs AGAIN!?! Mites? Fleas? Help please!

(10 posts)
  1. Sadboutbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Oct 1 2017 1:47:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Please help!!! My husband and I became infested with bedbugs last June when he was traveling for work and finally got rid of them through pesticide spraying home and then heat treating. Originally we had pest control out to help identify wheat the problem was when I was continuously getting bites only on exposed skin. My husband was traveling for work and staying in many different hotels. We had signs of bed bugs such as A few black stains on sheets and continuous bites. Pest control searched and said those were not signs of bedbugs and never found anything. They agreed to treat with pesticides as a precautionary treatment. After the first spraying I found a live but dying bedbug in my sheets the next day. We did 3 pesticide treatments, but still received occasional bites (way fewer) so we had a bed bug detection dog out to check and found some in laundry room but no where else. So we decided to heat treat the house. After that there were no more bites and bed bug detection dog rechecked and cleared our house.

So now a year later since heat treating home I am recieving bites again. Now since last year no one in our home (single standing home) has traveled, no one has been in a taxi/bus or any other public transportation, no one besides my husband and babies has stepped foot in our home, no one has walked near a hotel or airplane or anywhere else. We have no been in anyone's homes who have traveled at all. No one has spent the night outside of our home. And on top of all of this my husband is not allowed to come inside from work without changing out of work clothes, alcoholing work shoes and drying clothes in dryer for 1 hour every day for the last year. Bed is on bedbug cups, pulled away from wall, sheets and blankets don't go anywhere near the floor, so it is still 100% isolated since 1 year ago. No one has had a single bit mark until 2 weeks ago. I began getting bites about 1 or 2 every night, I'd wake to fine red welts in the morning. I am the only person in my house getting bite marks yet my husband and two babies sleep in the same bed. Last year my older daughter did get bedbug bites on her arms. So far in the last two weeks only I have recieved bites. I sleep in a long sleeved sweatshirt a long elastic tank top under that and leggings to my ankles, and every bite I have recieved has been under clothing, on my arms my back and my legs, up until a few nights ago when I got bites on my feet and hands. We had pest control come back to evaluate 5 days ago since I have gotten so many new bites-about 26 by them time they came to check. They found no signs of anything but said most likely fleas. So we had them treat the house and carpets for fleas 5 days ago and since then my bites have increased tremendously. I have gotten 4 on my feet, 7 on my hands, 14 on my back, and 4 on my arms in the last 5 days. The 14 on my back all happened in one night under clothing. And my older daughter who showed bed bug bites last year sleeps next to me in my bed in short sleeved t-shirts and has recieved no bites.

The welts that I have been recieving are red and itchy hard welts. Some are smaller like the size of a dime, some are the size of golf balls or bigger with the round bite welt in the middle and huge red rings around them. Since this has started my husband has thoroughly examined our bed every single morning taking apart the underneath and all of the tufts of fabric all around it and has found absolutely nothing. I have found no spots on sheets, no bugs, no signs of anything. And besides that we have no signs of fleas either, only dog has been treated with k9 advantix 2 every 28 days for the last year, and is now also taking nexguard on top of that-(which the vet approved as long as we dose 2 weeks after topical application). And pest control did not find sign of fleas, yet they keep saying that's what they think it is. We had the same bed bug detection dog out that we used last year and he said without a doubt he is 100% sure it is not bedbugs. But I still have doubts!!! If it's not bed bugs then why would I be recieving all of these welts that a dermatologist confirmed are insect bites!! I just need help figuring this out!!!! Please!!! 😭😭😭

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Oct 1 2017 7:31:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I might have missed it in your post, but do you have any monitors out to capture bed bugs? Or any types of insect monitors?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. Sadboutbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Oct 1 2017 12:07:20
    #

Login to Send PM

We have our bed on the climb up interceptors but that's it

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Oct 1 2017 13:07:52
    #

Login to Send PM

You also can leave them out near walls and not under furniture legs. Can leave out other types of potential harborage places plus glue boards. Passive monitors for beds are good, too. You might have various arthropods around, so good to use many types of monitors. You can use fan-folded papers - creases are good potential harborage sites. Folded cloth is also good. This is why clutter can easily become infested.

5. Sadboutbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Oct 1 2017 13:40:19
    #

Login to Send PM

That's the frustrating part is my house has no clutter anywhere. We have very little in our home and we keep it pristinely clean. I just don't understand that if it is bedbugs how they made it into our home as I keep it like a fortress ever since last year. Even when I pick up my daughter from preschool I have her change into clean clothes and shoes before she gets into the car, dry her clothes on hot for an hour and alcohol her shoes. New clothes are always dried from stores. I have no idea where they would have come from unless they somehow survive in my house for a year after 3 round of pesticides and heat treating and no bites at all wishin those 12 months. We haven't put out traps like glue traps but I guess maybe that's next. Our house backs up to a large grassy field outside of our fenced yard and pest control found fleas around the perimeter of our home but couldn't find any inside. I just don't understand how we can find nothing and yet I still receive bites every night. And now I am noticing I get a very small itchy area of skin for a couple days prior to finding a red welt there. Like the ones on my back (14 all at once) I felt the afternoon before a stinging pain in that spot over and over again and then went to bed that night and woke up in the middle of the night still irritated there so I checked and tiny little welts were popping up and by morning they were huge and red. I don't understand and it's so frustrating!!

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Oct 1 2017 19:50:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't mean you have clutter, just that stuff can become infested and that stuff acts as monitors. So give them stuff you can easily examine and this "clutter" becomes a monitor.
    The more monitors you have out, the more potential you have for collecting specimens.
    You can vacuum and examine the collection in the bag or in the container. You can put a nylon stocking in the tube if you hand vacuum rather than roll over carpeting. The stocking pouch can act as a collection pouch.

7. Sadboutbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Oct 1 2017 23:44:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes I vacuum daily and look through contents and have found absolutely nothing. Also have found nothing in the bedbug cups that we have. And also no stains, droppings, casings, or bugs.

8. bedbugsbugme

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Oct 2 2017 16:13:10
    #

Login to Send PM

This sounds like something I went through last week. Giving my son a bath I discovered red bumps on his underarm. He always wears long sleeve onsies or full sleepers to bed and he sleeps with me so I wasn't sure if bed bugs or other skin reaction. Took him to the doctor and found out it was chicken pox! So maybe you can go see a doctor and rule out any other skin reactions. I am still paranoid from when I had bed bugs last year. So I feel ya on this one!

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  9. Sadboutbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Oct 2 2017 19:04:10
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 2 hours ago  » 
    This sounds like something I went through last week. Giving my son a bath I discovered red bumps on his underarm. He always wears long sleeve onsies or full sleepers to bed and he sleeps with me so I wasn't sure if bed bugs or other skin reaction. Took him to the doctor and found out it was chicken pox! So maybe you can go see a doctor and rule out any other skin reactions. I am still paranoid from when I had bed bugs last year. So I feel ya on this one!

Right!? I am going crazy!! But now my daughter has one on her foot too and dermatologist has confirmed that this is some sort of insect bite... no advice as to what type. In his opinion he said not bedbugs due to the bites pattern. But it still makes me nervous. And if it’s not bed bugs then what is it!?! I feel like we are going to be stuck with this forever!

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 3 2017 12:56:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Need monitors to see if anything can be caught. Can also use the lint roller tape on a handle and collect from surfaces. Sections peel off in squares and these can be examined.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,257 posts in 46,757 topics over 142 months by 20,629 of 21,513 members. Latest: Ento1, jungr, laurwes