(4 posts)
  1. NamelessUser

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jun 13 2018 16:10:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello.
    I'm glad I've found this forum because I cannot tell anyone what is going on in my house, I'm feeling so lonely and desperate, and this is driving me crazy!
    I live and work in a European country, which is not my home country, and I am renting a 1-bedroom & 1-living room flat here, and I live alone.
    So on the 1st of June, I went on a trip to another city and I stayed in a hotel for 3 nights. I am aware of the risk of BBs in hotels because I travel a lot for work and leisure, so the first thing I did as soon as I entered the hotel room was to lift the mattress and inspect underneath -both the mattress and the bed base- I saw nothing, no bugs, no blood stains on the mattress, nothing. Then I briefly inspected the wardrobe, again saw nothing (I did not inspect well enough obviously) anyway so I put my bags in the wardrobe and started getting on with my stuff. During my 3-night stay, nothing made me suspicious. When bugs bite me, it doesn't swell or get itchy or anything, I cannot even notice the bites unless I look closer and very carefully.

They're like the one in this pic, even smaller. They're very hard to notice on my skin.

So anyway on the 4th of June, I returned home late at night, I was very tired and I wanted to go to bed right away. But before going to bed, I wanted to open my bag and make sure the souvenirs I bought did not break on the way. So I opened my bag in the hallway, found the souvenirs unbroken, put them on the table in the living room, then I went on with the unpacking without knowing what else I brought home, I put my dirty clothes in the laundry basket, my clean spare clothes that I did not wear back to the wardrobe in the bedroom (!!!), a few plastic bags in the kitchen cupboard, put everything back in place, living room, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, basically I did everything I could to spread the bugs all around the house without knowing.

I did not notice anything until the 9th (Saturday). On Saturday afternoon, I noticed a bug on my bedroom wardrobe's door, I killed it with a tissue. When I realized what it was, my whole world came crashing down around me... "No no no, this can't be happening, this must be a nightmare!!"
    I have anxiety and OCD, so I can't take such things lightly. Anyway, I tried to calm myself down, thinking OK, maybe I just brought one home, and I found it and killed it, and maybe there are no others so I am fine... I searched the house nonetheless. I found another one in the laundry basket. Then I lifted my mattress, I found a live one on the bed base and maybe 10-15 skins... I cleaned the bed base and all floors with bleach-water mixture.

I had not seen any at the hotel, which makes me think the infestation was not major at the hotel, and I had two small bags with me, how many did I manage to bring home with me that I can find 10-15 skins under my mattress 6 days after bringing them home??!! 10-15 skins after 6 days? Is that even possible?? I would really appreciate it if someone can explain if this is actually possible...

Anyway, on Tuesday morning the exterminator came and sprayed the bedroom, living room and the hallway... He did not feel the need to spray the kitchen or the bathroom (he didn't do it because I think he thought BBs cannot normally be found in the kitchen or bathroom. I'm saying "I think" because he barely spoke a few words of English and I do not speak the language of the country I am living in...) After not entering the house for 12 hours, I did not see anything yesterday after I came home from work. Today I came home, and after washing up and stuff, I went to the kitchen to prepare my dinner, that was when I pushed the dish drainer on the counter a bit aside and saw 4 or 5 bed bugs behind the dish drainer on the counter, both adults and babies, drowned in the water accumulated behind the drainer, except for one, which I killed... I believe they were hiding in the plastic bags I put in the kitchen cupboard after I came home from my vacation and they reached the counter from there (The kitchen cupboard right under the dish drainer.) How did they drown so easily on the way to my bedroom from the kitchen in a splash of water? I thought they were difficult to kill with room temperature water?? I searched the cupboard but I did not see any other. But then there are lots of crevices down there behind the sink in the cupboard, do you think there are other bugs hiding there in my kitchen or are they all attracted to my body temperature (since I am the only one living in this house) so they do not remain in the kitchen?

Now as I said, I have anxiety and OCD, I could barely sleep since I found out about the existence of those disgusting creatures in my house... I can only sleep for 2-3 hours at most with the lights on. I am too afraid to turn the lights off. I've just been promoted at work and I'm in the middle of a training period which is very important for my career, but I can't focus on work at all, all I can think about the whole day at work is BBs and how to get rid of them. Most people on the internet say it's near impossible to get rid of them. I am afraid of all kinds of insects (like a phobia), and when I see the bites on my chest and neck in the mirror, thinking that those disgusting damn things were crawling on my skin and sucking my blood literally makes me shiver. I want to cry. I am so upset and ashamed and I can't tell anyone. I can't tell my boss why I am so distracted at work. I am thinking of moving out of this flat but then I love this flat and my landlord is such a nice guy and I brought the bugs here and I don't think it's fair to him that I bring them here, then just move out... The exterminator will come again in about 2 weeks. Should I ask him to spray the whole house this time, including the kitchen and the bathroom? Now that they're obviously everywhere in the house, do you think I have the chance to get rid of them for good? How can I be sure that they're gone for good and are not coming back (considering that the bites on my skin are very difficult to notice so the absence of bites is not a big sign for me)?

I can't sleep, I'm miserable, I am terrible at work and I can't believe this is happening to me because I went on a 4-day vacation after a very stressful period in my life (and now an equally or more stressful one has just started because I went on a vacation to relax for a few days!)
    This is not fair.
    Somebody please tell me if I can actually get rid of them, or should I just move out? I made a one-year contract for this flat in March and I really like it here...
    I'm thinking of either throwing away my clothes or washing them at 90 degrees then moving out to a new flat because I feel like I will always live with the risk of them coming back if I keep staying here and it's driving me mad.
    Please help, tell me what I should do.

2. zelchbug

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 20:53:56
    #

Login to Send PM

NamelessUser - 1 day ago  » 
    Hello.
    I'm glad I've found this forum because I cannot tell anyone what is going on in my house, I'm feeling so lonely and desperate, and this is driving me crazy!
    I live and work in a European country, which is not my home country, and I am renting a 1-bedroom & 1-living room flat here, and I live alone.
    So on the 1st of June, I went on a trip to another city and I stayed in a hotel for 3 nights. I am aware of the risk of BBs in hotels because I travel a lot for work and leisure, so the first thing I did as soon as I entered the hotel room was to lift the mattress and inspect underneath -both the mattress and the bed base- I saw nothing, no bugs, no blood stains on the mattress, nothing. Then I briefly inspected the wardrobe, again saw nothing (I did not inspect well enough obviously) anyway so I put my bags in the wardrobe and started getting on with my stuff. During my 3-night stay, nothing made me suspicious. When bugs bite me, it doesn't swell or get itchy or anything, I cannot even notice the bites unless I look closer and very carefully.
    They're like the one in this pic, even smaller. They're very hard to notice on my skin.

So anyway on the 4th of June, I returned home late at night, I was very tired and I wanted to go to bed right away. But before going to bed, I wanted to open my bag and make sure the souvenirs I bought did not break on the way. So I opened my bag in the hallway, found the souvenirs unbroken, put them on the table in the living room, then I went on with the unpacking without knowing what else I brought home, I put my dirty clothes in the laundry basket, my clean spare clothes that I did not wear back to the wardrobe in the bedroom (!!!), a few plastic bags in the kitchen cupboard, put everything back in place, living room, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, basically I did everything I could to spread the bugs all around the house without knowing.
    I did not notice anything until the 9th (Saturday). On Saturday afternoon, I noticed a bug on my bedroom wardrobe's door, I killed it with a tissue. When I realized what it was, my whole world came crashing down around me... "No no no, this can't be happening, this must be a nightmare!!"
    I have anxiety and OCD, so I can't take such things lightly. Anyway, I tried to calm myself down, thinking OK, maybe I just brought one home, and I found it and killed it, and maybe there are no others so I am fine... I searched the house nonetheless. I found another one in the laundry basket. Then I lifted my mattress, I found a live one on the bed base and maybe 10-15 skins... I cleaned the bed base and all floors with bleach-water mixture.
    I had not seen any at the hotel, which makes me think the infestation was not major at the hotel, and I had two small bags with me, how many did I manage to bring home with me that I can find 10-15 skins under my mattress 6 days after bringing them home??!! 10-15 skins after 6 days? Is that even possible?? I would really appreciate it if someone can explain if this is actually possible...
    Anyway, on Tuesday morning the exterminator came and sprayed the bedroom, living room and the hallway... He did not feel the need to spray the kitchen or the bathroom (he didn't do it because I think he thought BBs cannot normally be found in the kitchen or bathroom. I'm saying "I think" because he barely spoke a few words of English and I do not speak the language of the country I am living in...) After not entering the house for 12 hours, I did not see anything yesterday after I came home from work. Today I came home, and after washing up and stuff, I went to the kitchen to prepare my dinner, that was when I pushed the dish drainer on the counter a bit aside and saw 4 or 5 bed bugs behind the dish drainer on the counter, both adults and babies, drowned in the water accumulated behind the drainer, except for one, which I killed... I believe they were hiding in the plastic bags I put in the kitchen cupboard after I came home from my vacation and they reached the counter from there (The kitchen cupboard right under the dish drainer.) How did they drown so easily on the way to my bedroom from the kitchen in a splash of water? I thought they were difficult to kill with room temperature water?? I searched the cupboard but I did not see any other. But then there are lots of crevices down there behind the sink in the cupboard, do you think there are other bugs hiding there in my kitchen or are they all attracted to my body temperature (since I am the only one living in this house) so they do not remain in the kitchen?
    Now as I said, I have anxiety and OCD, I could barely sleep since I found out about the existence of those disgusting creatures in my house... I can only sleep for 2-3 hours at most with the lights on. I am too afraid to turn the lights off. I've just been promoted at work and I'm in the middle of a training period which is very important for my career, but I can't focus on work at all, all I can think about the whole day at work is BBs and how to get rid of them. Most people on the internet say it's near impossible to get rid of them. I am afraid of all kinds of insects (like a phobia), and when I see the bites on my chest and neck in the mirror, thinking that those disgusting damn things were crawling on my skin and sucking my blood literally makes me shiver. I want to cry. I am so upset and ashamed and I can't tell anyone. I can't tell my boss why I am so distracted at work. I am thinking of moving out of this flat but then I love this flat and my landlord is such a nice guy and I brought the bugs here and I don't think it's fair to him that I bring them here, then just move out... The exterminator will come again in about 2 weeks. Should I ask him to spray the whole house this time, including the kitchen and the bathroom? Now that they're obviously everywhere in the house, do you think I have the chance to get rid of them for good? How can I be sure that they're gone for good and are not coming back (considering that the bites on my skin are very difficult to notice so the absence of bites is not a big sign for me)?
    I can't sleep, I'm miserable, I am terrible at work and I can't believe this is happening to me because I went on a 4-day vacation after a very stressful period in my life (and now an equally or more stressful one has just started because I went on a vacation to relax for a few days!)
    This is not fair.
    Somebody please tell me if I can actually get rid of them, or should I just move out? I made a one-year contract for this flat in March and I really like it here...
    I'm thinking of either throwing away my clothes or washing them at 90 degrees then moving out to a new flat because I feel like I will always live with the risk of them coming back if I keep staying here and it's driving me mad.
    Please help, tell me what I should do.

Sorry you're in that situation, definitely a tough spot to be in. Sounds like you're on the right track if you have someone coming back in a couple weeks. I would encourage him to be as thorough as possible. I purchased some ClimbUp Interceptors and that's definitely helped me sleep better, knowing they will have a much tougher time getting into my bed. It's not impossible to get rid of them, I've known a couple people who have been successful and that's in my personal life, there are many here on the forum who have been successful. Check out success stories.

3. Mf1616

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 21:39:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I’m not an expert, but 10-15 cast skins in 6 days seems unlikely... unless you brought like, a dozen bed bugs home in your bag(s). I would try to get Big Dummy or Lou’s opinion on that though...

Also, are you 100% sure they’re bed bugs? Maybe try to post a picture for a proper ID.

For the record, I am NOT an expert.
    My advice/opinion comes from past experience(s) with bed bugs and what I have read on-line.
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jun 15 2018 6:41:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Really need pictures of any of the insects. Sounds like the infestation is longer lived than you having brought them from the hotel stay. House, apartment in house, apartment building? You need to use some monitors, too.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,539 posts in 46,601 topics over 142 months by 20,554 of 21,420 members. Latest: TRAY, tjg, jm1985