Bed bugs ACIDIC baking soda/water spray kills them

(27 posts)
  1. RobertD

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 6 2018 12:05:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been fighting these blood sucking monsters for 10 years. Tried everything, heat gun had temporary success. But not permanent.
    I took an epsom salts bath one day and noticed I hadn't been bit for three days which made me think they didn't like the alcaline taste. Brought the conclusion that they use ACID to bite. I sprayed baking soda/water 1tsp/liter all over the bed and the floor and immediately noticed a marked decrease in activity. And the bugs I found were quite weak and slow. I found no little ones. After a week they were all gone and I haven't been bitten since.

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Feb 7 2018 20:14:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Well then, baking soda is all we need for our bed bug problems. Who knew?!?

3. RobertD

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 11:17:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Anything alcaline, frank's hot sauce would work too but that would be cruel and unusual punishment.

4. RobertD

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 11:20:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Dry baking soda doesn't work I tried it before. It has to be in solution and sprayed. You can try. Put a bug in a glass and spray BS/W on it and watch it sqirm, after two minutes it's dead.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 12:52:32
    #

Login to Send PM

RobertD - 2 days ago  » 
    I've been fighting these blood sucking monsters for 10 years. Tried everything, heat gun had temporary success. But not permanent.
    I took an epsom salts bath one day and noticed I hadn't been bit for three days which made me think they didn't like the alcaline taste. Brought the conclusion that they use ACID to bite. I sprayed baking soda/water 1tsp/liter all over the bed and the floor and immediately noticed a marked decrease in activity. And the bugs I found were quite weak and slow. I found no little ones. After a week they were all gone and I haven't been bitten since.

There's no acid when a bed bug takes blood from you.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. RobertD

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 13:22:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Wrong. They don't have proboscis to bite.
    Besides it works.

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 13:25:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  8. bedbugsbugme

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 14:35:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Dish soap in a spray bottle works too. Your finger also works probably faster than any spray. Problem is, you are not going to find every single one to spray/ squish and neither work as a residual.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  9. RobertD

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 15:12:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Dish soap is not alcaline enough.
    Doesn't work.

10. bedbugsbugme

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 15:25:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Even so. These concoctions are just a CONTACT KILLER. They will not take care of your problem as you will not see every single bug and egg. They will have a chance to reproduce and replace the ones killed in no time.

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 16:05:41
    #

Login to Send PM

RobertD - 2 hours ago  » 
    Wrong. They don't have proboscis to bite.
    Besides it works.

Bed bugs have a segmented proboscis. The right and left maxillary stylets that are contained within are pushed through your skin and into a capillary.

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 16:09:13
    #

Login to Send PM

RobertD - 52 minutes ago  » 
    Dish soap is not alcaline enough.
    Doesn't work.

Alkaline is the word and the pH doesn't matter. Dish soap certainly works, especially Dawn because it has degreasers (that's why it's used in cleaning up waterfowl that are affected in times of oil spills). These degreasers work well on arthropods because of the waxy cuticle. You can use a Dawn/water solution to knock out yellow jacket and paper wasps for that same reason. Soaps including those with citrus oils have a similar effect and they also contain linalool and d-limonene, insecticidal compounds. From some Internet sites:
    "Linalool’s insecticide properties are very useful for controlling fleas and cockroaches. Linalool is an ingredient in some mosquito repellents."
    "D-Limonene is also used as botanical insecticide. Limonene is a naturally occurring chemical which is used in many food products, soaps and perfumes for its lemon-like flavor and odor. Limonene is a registered active ingredient in 15 pesticide products used as insecticides, insect repellents, and dog and cat [flea and tick] repellents. Pesticide products containing limonene are used for flea and tick control on pets, as an insecticide spray, an outdoor dog and cat repellent, a fly repellent tablecloth, a mosquito larvicide, and an insect repellent for use on humans."

13. RobertD

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 16:53:05
    #

Login to Send PM

The naysayers and their mumbo-jumbo probably have a lot of money riding on this plague. The last thing they want is a simple cheap effective solution.

I use BS/W with a ph7.5 as measured by pH paper.

Works great

14. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 17:14:45
    #

Login to Send PM

RobertD - 18 minutes ago  » 
    The naysayers and their mumbo-jumbo probably have a lot of money riding on this plague. The last thing they want is a simple cheap effective solution.
    I use BS/W with a ph7.5 as measured by pH paper.
    Works great

That's quite untrue. A simple, cheap, effective solution is great. My explanation of detergents, linalool and d-limonene weren't mumbo jumbo. I was explaining about degreasing and some insecticidal action. 7.5 is a relatively low alkalinity since the highest is 14.

15. Bedbugmom41

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 17:42:00
    #

Login to Send PM

RobertD - 45 minutes ago  » 
    The naysayers and their mumbo-jumbo probably have a lot of money riding on this plague.

Hope you're not referring to Loubugs.
    He's an expert (entomologist) and he's doing quite an amazing job answering our questions.

16. RobertD

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 17:56:37
    #

Login to Send PM

It works try it.

17. RobertD

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 17:59:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Ps: I don't want to get into a pissing contest with your resident because all you have to do is spray a bedbug with this.
    He didn't even try.

It works tell the world.

18. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 18:13:07
    #

Login to Send PM

RobertD - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Ps: I don't want to get into a pissing contest with your resident because all you have to do is spray a bedbug with this.
    He didn't even try.
    It works tell the world.

I didn't say your method didn't work. Spraying with a detergent water will also work. Salad dressing and a light oil will work. A direct hit with an insecticide will work. The problem with bed bugs if the insect isn't out there in the open, you can't get a direct hit.

19. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 21:37:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugmom41, You have got that right. I second everything you said. Loubugs is great, very knowledgeable, answers our questions, and wants to help.

Bedbugmom41 - 3 hours ago  » 

RobertD - 45 minutes ago  » 
    The naysayers and their mumbo-jumbo probably have a lot of money riding on this plague.

Hope you're not referring to Loubugs.
    He's an expert (entomologist) and he's doing quite an amazing job answering our questions.

20. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 22:08:35
    #

Login to Send PM

RobertD - 2 hours ago  » 
    How stupid?
    Detergents and "salad dressing"?
    The ornithologist doesn't know acid from alcaline.
    Frank's hot sauce is alcaline.
    I'm out of here.

Ornithologist? I think you mean entomologist. Alcaline? Spelling is alkaline.
    The different things I mentioned, detergents and salad dressing, are analogous to a liquid that you use for killing bed bugs. A contact killer. Doesn't have to be an "insecticide" to kill an insect. The oil in salad dressing will suffocate insects. Vinegar in salad dressing is acidic; actually "Distilled white vinegar usually measures around pH 2.4, with a strength of 5%. The lower the pH, the more acid the vinegar is. And an example: Buffalo hot sauce is high in vinegar, and like similar hot sauces it has a pH of about 2.8." So a hot sauce is acidic, not 'alcaline'. I think RobertD you need to go back to chemistry class 101 and a few other classes as well.

21. F. Pazos

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 23:31:29
    #

Login to Send PM

RobertD - 5 hours ago  » 
    He didn't even try.
    It works tell the world.

I don't know if Lou tried it, actually I don't even care... He has more knowledge that all other experts in this forum combined (including me, obviously).
    Due to where I work and the conditions of the apartments, I have to be continuously investigating and researching... Not only that I tried the baking soda method that you are talking about, but many others following the alkaline approach.... yes, the baking soda solution kills some bed bugs, but it is extremely far from being effective by itself in eradicating a full colony infesting a home, it may help (I would say more psychologically than any other help), and could be used as a part of a much bigger approach... Remember that bombs, DE and many other products can kill bed bugs but are not considered effective.

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  22. RobertD

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Feb 9 2018 9:36:28
    #

Login to Send PM

That's what I mean by pissing contest. Arguing semantics and trifles.
    Companies that make money fighting these are not interested in simple cheap solution like rinsing linens in a baking soda solution .

This is a world wide plague with an easy solution.

23. Bedbugmom41

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Feb 9 2018 9:40:13
    #

Login to Send PM

RobertD can argue all he wants.
    He's been unsuccessfully battling bedbugs for 10 years.
    Enough said.

24. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Feb 9 2018 14:16:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugmom41 - 4 hours ago  » 
    RobertD can argue all he wants.
    He's been unsuccessfully battling bedbugs for 10 years.
    Enough said.

I guess that sums it up quite succinctly. Do you have monitors out after using your baking soda solution so you will find any that show up? If you're in an apartment situation you could have migration from other apartments.
    From F. Pazos: "Not only that I tried the baking soda method that you are talking about, but many others following the alkaline approach.... yes, the baking soda solution kills some bed bugs, but it is extremely far from being effective by itself in eradicating a full colony infesting a home, it may help (I would say more psychologically than any other help), and could be used as a part of a much bigger approach... Remember that bombs, DE and many other products can kill bed bugs but are not considered effective."

25. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Feb 9 2018 14:21:50
    #

Login to Send PM

RobertD - 4 hours ago  » 
    That's what I mean by pissing contest. Arguing semantics and trifles.
    Companies that make money fighting these are not interested in simple cheap solution like rinsing linens in a baking soda solution .
    This is a world wide plague with an easy solution.

Please read the other posting above this one. 10 years? But now bed bug free? So far for how long since your treatment?
    I actually wasn't arguing semantics and trifles. Just providing information about some products and bed bug biology.
    I'm not a company making money from trying to control bed bugs with efficacious products. Just an entomologist providing information on bed bug biology, natural history and behavior. There's no salary on this listserv.

26. bedbugsbugme

Posted 6 months ago
    Sat Feb 10 2018 20:05:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Dude. We’re agreeing with you. Yes it can work. But so can everything else mentioned before. Problem is unless you actually see the bug you’re trying to kill, its ineffective at eradicating the infestation. Yes you will take out a handful of bugs from time to time but the others will just reproduce and keep the numbers strong. Baking soda has no residual effect once dry so unless you plan on sleeping in the stuff, its about as effective as throwing a water balloon into a forest fire.

27. bugged-cdn

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 11 2018 19:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Please don't feed the troll.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,591 posts in 45,827 topics over 139 months by 20,180 of 20,982 members. Latest: Wannascream, will106106@yahoo.com, bedbughelp123