Bed Bug Wing Pads?? Brown Ridged Bug with Wings

(3 posts)
  1. wingedbug

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 9 2018 8:01:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I found a small brown bug on my bed this morning. It had the brown horizontal ridges that tend to indicate a bed bug, however, when I brought it over to the sink (to just get it away from all the things) it dropped onto the surface and began to flutter wings. It didn't end up anywhere/didn't fly but it definitely had wings that seemed to span its entire body. It fell down the drain before I could snap a picture.

My question is: I keep reading that adult/mature bed bugs have wing pads. What does this mean? Can they flutter said wing pads? Are the wing pads the length of their bodies so that they look like a bug with wings when they flutter them?

I'm pretty sure what I found was a beetle - but if I could get a better understanding of bed bug 'wing pads' then I'd be sure. THANKS!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 9 2018 8:32:28
    #

Login to Send PM

You would not consider them wings.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 9 2018 12:27:33
    #

Login to Send PM

wingedbug - 4 hours ago  » 
    I found a small brown bug on my bed this morning. It had the brown horizontal ridges that tend to indicate a bed bug, however, when I brought it over to the sink (to just get it away from all the things) it dropped onto the surface and began to flutter wings. It didn't end up anywhere/didn't fly but it definitely had wings that seemed to span its entire body. It fell down the drain before I could snap a picture.
    My question is: I keep reading that adult/mature bed bugs have wing pads. What does this mean? Can they flutter said wing pads? Are the wing pads the length of their bodies so that they look like a bug with wings when they flutter them?
    I'm pretty sure what I found was a beetle - but if I could get a better understanding of bed bug 'wing pads' then I'd be sure. THANKS!

Wing pads are movable but are only stubs. You have to look at real bed bugs (pictures) so you understand the morphology. "brown horizontal ridges" do not indicate a bed bug. These bands are the abdominal segments and insects in general look like this. Some abdominal segmentation is covered by wings or wing covers.
    See the following image. Here are adult bed bugs compared to apple seeds. The wing pads are on body at rear of thorax and front of abdomen. These are what's left of the front wings; there are no hind wings. Click on it and then magnify while on Flickr. Read legend.
    Apples and Oranges? Bed Bugs and Apple Seeds. by louento.pix, on Flickr
    See this picture. Better close-up of males and females and also read the legend after clicking to get to Flickr site.
    2+1 cimex by louento.pix, on Flickr

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,569 posts in 46,605 topics over 142 months by 20,555 of 21,422 members. Latest: tjg, jm1985, Me33