Bed Bug Treatments - PCO choice

(8 posts)
  1. Ijel

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Sep 22 2018 8:11:40
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a double post but in the main thread but I thought I’d post it on this specific thread.

I posted about bed bugs under the “one live bed bug” post and sadly, I have found another in a different part of my home. At this point, I am ready to seriously de-clutter and get my house treated. The only problem is that I am weighing out pro’s and con’s of each options. I live in a 3 bedroom mobile home that is no where near up to par (carpets that lift up at baseboards, wood panelling walls, non covered outlets, unfinished dry wall, etc). I am in the DC-MD area and have contacted two companies Capital K-9 and EcoBedBugExterminator. Capital K-9 offered me a package costing 1,075 with two pesticide treatments using Pyrethrin based pesticide, a neonicitonoid, growth regulators, and cimexa with a 60 day guarantee and at no cost third treatment if we continue seeing bed bugs. EcoBedBug offered me no guarantee with a one time chemical treatment (did not give me info on chemicals used) at upwards to $899. I asked if they could do heat treatments and assured me that they could if I had a high wattage outlet for stoves for $1500. My only problem with both is that I know that chemicals can cause bed bugs to flee only to resurface later and with the heat, they die but can also hide in places to stay safe from the heat. I am really trying to weigh my options while I work on decluttering this whole week. If any professionals or people with first hand experiences have any opionios, please let me know. So far I am looking to capital k-9 because he is the one who has give me more information over the phone than the other.

2. Ijel

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Sep 22 2018 11:50:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Please help! I really need advice before I book someone!

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Sep 22 2018 16:08:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Ijel:
    "My only problem with both is that I know that chemicals can cause bed bugs to flee only to resurface later and with the heat, they die but can also hide in places to stay safe from the heat."
    --- Not all chemicals cause bed bugs to scatter; not all are repellent. Heat treatment should also make use of dusts (Cimexa) in case bed bugs are in places that aren't heating quickly, they will crawl over these and die.

"I live in a 3 bedroom mobile home that is no where near up to par (carpets that lift up at baseboards, wood panelling walls, non covered outlets, unfinished dry wall, etc)."
    --- Wood paneling, unfinished dry wall can be removed for treatment. The wood paneling would be easiest to remove and re-attach.
    Outlets and switch plates can be treated with dusts. Any telephone/ethernet conduits?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Sep 22 2018 23:43:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't use either one ... I'd keep fishing

5. Ijel

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 23 2018 9:34:05
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 17 hours ago  » 
    Ijel:
    "My only problem with both is that I know that chemicals can cause bed bugs to flee only to resurface later and with the heat, they die but can also hide in places to stay safe from the heat."
    --- Not all chemicals cause bed bugs to scatter; not all are repellent. Heat treatment should also make use of dusts (Cimexa) in case bed bugs are in places that aren't heating quickly, they will crawl over these and die.
    "I live in a 3 bedroom mobile home that is no where near up to par (carpets that lift up at baseboards, wood panelling walls, non covered outlets, unfinished dry wall, etc)."
    --- Wood paneling, unfinished dry wall can be removed for treatment. The wood paneling would be easiest to remove and re-attach.
    Outlets and switch plates can be treated with dusts. Any telephone/ethernet conduits?

Unfortunately, the PCO that would be willing to do a chemical treatment said that all the wood paneling would warp if we did a heat treatment so that’s out the window but thank you for informing me about the cimexa. He will treat with the dust two times and a third if we continue to see them. He said it is unlikely after the first treatment but we will see. I’ll keep the thread updated.

6. Ijel

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 23 2018 9:36:02
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 9 hours ago  » 
    I wouldn't use either one ... I'd keep fishing

Why do you say this?

7. Ijel

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Oct 7 2018 0:38:21
    #

Login to Send PM

An update:

After finding two bed bugs biting me, I hired a bed bug company that did a chemical treatment. I had to wait two weeks in order to tidy up my extremely cluttered house by myself (a 5 family home). The PCO’s said that they searched the house which I believe because I found all the beds and bed frames flipped and they told me they found no signs of infestation whatsoever. During those two weeks of preparation, my family and I (I have allergic reactions) had no bites at all. Well I decided to go with treatment just in case anyways and the company sprayed with cimexa, bedlam plus, transport mikron, and gentrol igr on all cracks and crevices of the house. Still no bites or signs of bb’s and it’s been two days after treatment which is supposedly when they’re supposed to be more active. Will keep this thread updated!

8. Ijel

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Oct 14 2018 23:10:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Update - 10 days after first treatment:

I found one bed bug :(. I am disappointed but I know that more than one chemical treatment needs to be done to be rid of these damn bugs. It looks like an adult which I’m super upset about hoping that there isn’t any feeding and molting but there probably is. The super odd thing about this situation is that I always find the bed bugs near or on me. It was crawling towards my face on a black sweater, close to my chest area crawling upwards. I could see it against the black sweater and let me tell you, they crawl fast. Luckily, my mom found the clear tape we are using to catch them and we sealed them in clear tape in a mason jar. I’ve also found two ink like droplets on the top of fitted sheet which could resemble bed bug poop. I’ve been sleeping at my boyfriends almost every other day but not because of the bed bugs (I’ve been beyond careful and he hasn’t seen any signs or bed bugs nor have I when visiting) but I’ve also slept here some days and have not seen any signs or had any bites. The first 3 days of the treatment I was also sleeping on the couch to see if I woke up with any bites and I didnt. I only have two questions for anyone who is monitoring this thread (if they could kindly respond):

Could they still be coming from the car that was treated? Could they be hitchhiking on my moms frequent visitor (who are aware that we have bed bugs but aren’t really protecting themselves)?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,517 posts in 47,005 topics over 143 months by 20,745 of 21,020 members. Latest: bedbugnitemare, C333, creepycrawlers