Bed bug transmission via clothes and car

(3 posts)
  1. GottaLeaveNJ

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 20 2014 14:46:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone. I'm turning to this forum as I need to get some second and third opinions dealing with our bed bug infestation.

Some quick background: I live in a shared house with three other tenants. Two days ago I found and killed a bug on my bed. It looked like a bed bug but I brought in a professional with a dog the next day. The inspector positively identified the dead bug (I saved it in a baggie) as a male bed bug, and the dog found one roommates and my beds to be positive. There was no visual evidence in my bed or box spring from a quick visual inspection, and a couple of fecal spots on the roommates, so he told us the infestation is in its early stages and its good I caught it now.

However, since I'm not gonna be able to get on with things until this is 100% taken care of, I'm packing everything up to be fumigated with vikane. But I still have a couple of worries, namely my car and where I work. I can't shake the feeling that I could have brought them into my car or along in a backpack to where I work.

I just wanted to get an idea of how easily these things can hop along on clothes on in a backpack. I really don't want to risk re-infestation.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2014 11:51:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I would think, and it's just my opinion, that in a low level infestation where the bed bugs can feed and have shelter without competition that there would be a very low risk of transfer.

3. Suzanne

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2014 13:04:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but shared the same concerns as you. I have been reassured on here that car infestations are not that common. As Big said above, I don't think hitch hikers from a low level infestation would happen that often. I too was worried that I had brought them to work with me. I have become more aware of the precautions I can take now in regard to bringing bags in the home, where I store them when I do, traveling, etc. The precautions can be found in the sticky notes.

Here's hoping your treatment is a 100% success.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug