Bed Bug Supply "Pro Kit"? Worth it?

(10 posts)
  1. BugginOutinOk

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 7 2014 14:40:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, so first off, lemme give ya a brief history into what I refer to as "The Year of the Bug".

We moved into an apartment in Tulsa, Oklahoma in August of 2013, 2 weeks after moving in I gave birth to our 3rd child :). In Dec or January we saw our first bug. At first, I thought it was some kind of tick or something. So I just killed the one I found on me and flushed it. A couple weeks later (and TONS of bites later - I thought they were hives lol) we found another... then another. I hit Google Images and was in SHOCK when I realized that Bed Bugs were real! Haha. After researching, and reading our Lease Agreement I called down to the office and made the report, I was assured that our apartment would be sprayed in a little over 1 week when the professional came to spray. The date came and went and no one came, the bugs were becoming increasingly brave, I was sleeping less and less. I called again, they assured me that the apartment had in fact been sprayed, I just must have been out. Due to health issues after a very hard pregnancy I had just been released from Bed Rest and had only been hobbling around for a month or so at this point and so I rarely left the apartment, and when I did it wasn't for more than an hour or two to grocery shop. I obviously didn't believe them. I informed them the bugs were EVERYWHERE at this point, and they promised to send someone again. I waited, it never happened. I searched the internet, bought alcohol and slathered our bedroom in the stuff, hoping to fend off the attack. NADA.
    After calling and being promised that our apartment would be sprayed 5 TIMES I came across a review online of the apartments I lived in, someone was having the same problem, exactly! No one was being sprayed! At this point I wasn't sleeping more than an hour at a time, during the day when my husband was home. My nights spent holding my baby, so the bugs that infested her brand new (and expensive!) bed couldn't bite her, checking and rechecking my older two, and husband, and killing off every little demon blood sucker I could.
    Finally, after months of doing everything we could (did I mention we were BROKE, therefore no money to have anyone spray for us, or spend money on expensive anything ourselves?) We decided we were OUTTA THERE! We found a house in a neighboring town that was closer to the College my husband was attending and left everything behind that wouldn't fit into a washing machine, couldn't be wiped down THOROUGHLY with alcohol, or couldn't be put into a BedBug Mattress cover (unfortunately only my son's mattress made the trip).

Can I just say, THANK GOD for tax returns, cause yeah, I'd still be sitting on lawn chairs and sleeping on an air mattress! haha! Slowly, but surely, we bought new furniture, mattresses, washed EVERYTHING WE OWN in hot water, dried them on high heat, trashed the millions of things I shrunk (LOL) , But we were FREE! SO we couldn't care less.
    But now, MONTHS later, it seems we have them again.
    My son's room seems to be bug free, as does my daughters, but there are some blood spots on our sheets and last night after tearing our brand new couches apart we killed at least 10!
    Not gunna lie, I had a major panic attack.
    Now, I honestly think we're finding this pretty early, and most of the buggies were pretty small. So I'm in search of affordable mattress covers that have good ratings, and while on this search I came across bedbugsupply.com
    Heard of it?
    They have some Professional Bed Bug Kits that have some pretty awesome reviews, and it's WAY more affordable than having someone come in and spray.

Has anyone used it? What can/should we do? I need and WANT any and all help I can get
    Thanks so much for your time!
    (hoping I posted in the correct place)

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 7 2014 14:47:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear buggin,

What's in it and how much does it cost ???

pjb

3. BugginOutinOk

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 7 2014 14:56:29
    #

Login to Send PM

It's actually a kit that has several products in it, and the price varies as to the amount, or rooms you choose. We would do the 3-4 rooms, even though we've only found them in one, so the price is $120.

I'm not sure on ingredients on the sprays, but the powder is DE.

Here's a link if it's helpful [link deleted]

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 7 2014 16:01:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear buggin,

Thanks for the link, at least I know what's in it but you'd need to comparison shop to see if the cost is about right or not.

Please note that it is possible to eliminate bed bugs from your home using just those products within the kit however, within reason, it's more important how the products are being used than what's being used. Essentially, you actually have to know what you're doing with this stuff and we can't simply turn you loose to go spraying around your house and expect optimal results.

This said, I'm a tad adverse to such kits because they have some good choices combined with some not so much type choices . . .

Additionally, this seems to put the emphasis on the use of chemicals alone which I do not recommend. A decent bed bug elimination effort would also include the use of a vacuum and steamer. Of course, the trouble with steamers is the cost thereof. However, most folks have a vacuum or can afford an adequate vacuum for such purposes.

You might also be better off going "a la carte" on the products you select for bed bug control as this will save you money and allow you to choose the better options.

However, in an effort to avoid unnecessary controversy, I cannot post those selections on the open Forum.

Hope this helps ! pjb

5. MeanDonnaJean

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 8 2014 19:26:58
    #

Login to Send PM

After my son brought bedbugs home one weekend in April & after doin' much more research on bedbugs than I ever really wanted to know I purchased the very kit ya mentioned along with their handheld steamer, mattress encasements, Climbup Interceptors & a Zapbug heater. Against lotsa naysayers comments & opinions I was determined to tackle this mess myself solely with the help of bedbugsupply.com's very thorough & extremely helpful instructions. I must admit it was a LOTTA hard work on a daily basis & for a while there I was sincerely questioning my own sanity
    but I can honestly say it did what it claims it'll do...it got rid of those lil' suckers. So if ya got the time, strength, determination, funds & patience I highly recommend bedbugsupply.com.

"The same people you misuse on your way up
    you might meet up on your way down" ~Little Feat ~
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2014 2:52:58
    #

Login to Send PM

For anyone who's unaware,

If you do choose to shop at Bed Bug Supply, please consider using the banner links in our useful tools page or in the sidebar. You'd be buying the same products from the same supplier at the same prices, but will also help support this site's running costs, at no additional cost to you.

meandonnajean,

I am very glad to hear DIY treatment was successful for you! Congratulations on getting rid of your bed bugs.

When people here recommend a professional as usually the best way to go, it's not because DIY treatment can't be done successfully, but because it often isn't.

In addition to the much-needed "time, strength, determination, funds & patience" you note as requirements for DIY bed bug treatment, I'd add knowledge! It's important to be able to read and follow safety and usage directions and do additional research which is often needed in order to apply pesticides safely and effectively.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2014 6:38:38
    #

Login to Send PM

There's no stronger supporter of the need for viable and suitable DIY products and efforts than myself.

However, such kits seem to include products that could be skipped.

Additionally, it's much more important that the person doing the work actually knows how and is capable of doing the work correctly.

As stated previously, everything you need to successfully eliminate bed bugs is available in a retail store if you know what you're doing.

Note that learning how to do this correctly is essentially free to all that want to and need to learn.

The true cost lies in the "elbow grease" required to get the job done.

Have a nice day ! pjb

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2014 12:26:17
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 5 hours ago  » 
    There's no stronger supporter of the need for viable and suitable DIY products and efforts than myself.
    However, such kits seem to include products that could be skipped.
    Additionally, it's much more important that the person doing the work actually knows how and is capable of doing the work correctly.

That was my point about knowledge.

It may not be easy to find good products in stores-- last time I looked, the spray pesticide selection at Home Depot was not good. A lot of these places sell foggers and you need to know what you're doing.

Note the companies which sell kits also sell piecemeal products. You can get advice from a pro like P Bello about what products work best and how to use them.

9. BugginOutinOk

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 2:14:33
    #

Login to Send PM

MeanDonnaJean - 2 days ago -
    but I can honestly say it did what it claims it'll do...it got rid of those lil' suckers. So if ya got the time, strength, determination, funds & patience I highly recommend bedbugsupply.com.

First of all, Thanks so much, DonnaJean! It's comforting to know that it COULD be worth it! I can def understand how some hardcore work will be involved, and hopefully the knowledge everyone is talking about can be learned on good ole YouTube!!

PB- I couldn't be more grateful for all the info you're layin on me! Like I said before, I'm not afraid of a little research and elbow grease, so hopefully I can figure out which bits I do need, and which I can do without.
    But if not, rather be safe than sorry!

NoBugs- Thanks! I had no idea the same products were here, and to show my gratitude for EVERYONE's super helpfulness, this is def where I'll be making my purchase!

Fingers Crossed for our DIY!

The quote I was given, even for our small 3 bedroom house and what the PCO said was a super early catch (Thank God for paranoia on that one LoL), it was going to cost well over $1,000. Not money I have in one lump sum, or will have anytime soon

Again, thanks you all so much, I'll def try to UpDate my Results/Progress!

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 10:18:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, BugginOut, for your support. I am glad the site was helpful!

Note that most people who are new to applying pesticides tend to make mistakes. Dusts are commonly misapplied and over applied. There can be danger to humans and misapplying doesn't solve the problem. So be sure and do your research in reliable places and ask an expert (like P Bello above) if you have questions.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982