Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Bed Bug Season More in The Summer?

(7 posts)
  1. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 1:15:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I've noticed that there aren't as many requests for BB IDs now that it's colder weather. Do they surface more in hot weather?

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 1:49:03
    #

Login to Send PM

BB development stops at 13C/55.5F so now that winter is kicking in a reduction in activity is to be expected in cold areas.

For example from Usingers Monograph:

Hatching to adult takes:

58 days at 22C/72F,
    33C/91F it takes 37 days, but at
    18C/64F it takes 128 days.

Metabolism will slow so the frequency of feeding will reduce with temperature as well. Of course a heated home will negate all that.

Jim

3. Richard_Naylor

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 8:22:51
    #

Login to Send PM

There was a study done on this a couple of years ago in London. I managed to find a word doc. of the manuscript on the web here:

http://trustk9.com/Are-bed-bug-infestations-on-the-increase-within-Greater-London.doc

(Scroll down to the graphs if you don't fancy reading the whole thing.)

They use calls to the local council pest control departments as a metric for number of bedbug infestations. Over several years they show clear cycles of increased activity in the summer months (for the reasons Spideyig mentioned), as well as a net increase year on year.

4. tforms1

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 14:54:35
    #

Login to Send PM

>BB development stops at 13C/55.5F so now that winter is kicking in a reduction in activity is to be expected in cold areas.
    >

But most BBs are indoors and most indoor places are kept around 75 F (just a guess)

I would have thought BBs increase in the winter because ppl are bringing jackets around and hanging them at work/gym/etc.

At my gym, theres a clothes rack and its packed TIGHT with jackets in the winter, Im thinking of going to the gym with no jacket!

5. Richard_Naylor

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 15:13:51
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a good point, but you can't argue with the data

I wonder if this is because bedbugs are nocturnal and most people allow their bedrooms to cool down at night? I would think night time temperatures would be a much better predictor of bedbug activity.

I haven't seen data on this so, I'm just guessing.

6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 16:20:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Biological effects are one thing. Behavioral effects are another.

I did toss in the caveat about heated dwellings. Perhaps the cold reduces migration.

Jim _

7. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Dec 12 2010 3:52:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the input.

My apartment is super hot. For the first time, I want the thermostat lowered and my hubby wants it up. sigh.

Still haven't seen evidence of bbs, but something is stinging me and biting me.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,173 posts in 46,246 topics over 140 months by 20,386 of 21,217 members. Latest: VAhouse, dontpanic, Koroifox