Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

BED BUG QUESTIONS

(9 posts)
  1. bedBugQ

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 15 2016 12:04:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone, I have some questions about my recent bed bug find.. Anything would be helpful.

First off,
    QUESTION: how do I know the extent of my infestation?

After being bitten for months on end after moving into an already infested apartment without knowledge, I got fed up with my suspicion and finally did my own inspection. I lifted up the mattress and found one single bed bug in the seem of my mattress! Also, when I first got my couch two weeks after moving in (already brings bitten) I seen one on my couch cushion. But never again after that and I don't get bitten when sleeping on my couch. As well as one on my towel that I had got off the bed once. But never in the bathroom after that. Usually after that on the bed room floor or in the bed.

Also,
    QUESTION: Was it a good idea to put sheets and comforter and pillow cases back on bed after washing? should I have just slept on the mattress encasements and pillow protectors to spare my sheets and comforter? Does it matter?

After washing all my linens, clothes, and bed comforter and having DE dusted inside my new mattress, boxspring and pillow case covers and around the room and apartment, I haven't been bitten but I think I made the mistake of putting sheets and pillow cases back over my bed again. As well as putting the cushioned comforter ontop which is usually supposed to go under the sheet but it didn't fit so we just put it on top. I haven't had any sightings in a while or been bitten (I'm a BAD reactor, horrible allergic reactions) but seen fecal spots in the seems
    Of the comforter. However, I still have the mattress, boxspring and pillow case encasements on..

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2016 0:34:55
    #

Login to Send PM

You have seen a good number of bed bugs, and I strongly suggest you get a professional in to inspect and treat if needed. Bed bugs do not go away on their own.

Are you asking if it's better to use sheets and pillowcases or not? I think most people here would definitely use them and wash regularly. You're not helping the problem go away by forgoing sheets.

If I misunderstood that question, please let me know!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bedBugQ

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 17 2016 6:49:33
    #

Login to Send PM

No I was asking if it's safe to use bed sheets and pillow cases OVER my mattress and pillow protectors? I recently stripped my bed of everything, bagged it in a plastic zipper locked bag and just left the encasements on and used a blanket and just today found a single juvenile bed bug. I'm so stressed out because I don't know where they could be coming from... Closet? It's not the nightstand or the drawers.. Im down to about only 4 pieces of furniture in my room (not including the bed) and one of them is my sons bassinet who is not here yet and it is wrapped in drop cloth and I've inspected it. Every other piece of furniture has been inspected but I will gladly do it again, as well as the curtains. Could it still be the bed frame? The floor?

4. bedBugQ

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 17 2016 6:53:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I would love to have a professional inspect and treat this place but unfortunately I don't have the money for it and my landlord is a cheap bastard who only chooses to treat with DE because well, it's cheap and pesticide free. Also I don't feel responsible for his bed bug problem in his building I think he should be liable... I'm just so stressed out about this..

5. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 17 2016 6:58:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I am no expert but DE alone is unlikely to kill the bedbugs. It may even send them into other rooms if not applied correctly.

6. bedbuggin

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 17 2016 23:07:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Your landlord is legally obligated to remedy the bed bugs, and if he finds that you actually brought them in he can seek reimbursement after he has treated. If his cost cutting method isn't working he needs to contact an exterminator. Call the local health inspector...

7. bedBugQ

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 18 2016 11:32:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I know we did not bring them for a fact because we've never had bed bugs in our lives. This apartment had roaches when we moved in, we immediately seen this but was so desperate with no where to go we had to move in anyway.. so I wasn't suprised to find it has bed bugs two weeks after moving in. My landlord is seriously just a cheap asshole and even offered me the best money to fix it when I brought up the problem the very first time two weeks after moving in and he did a petty inspection and said "nothing was there". Exact words were "And if there ever is I'll give you the best money to fix it", But now that we found the problem for our selves he's claimed if he didn't have this "magic Voodoo dust" that you can "only get from an exterminator company he's been worki with for 10 years" (which from my research I know is just goddann Diatomaceous Earth), WE would be paying a lot of money..

8. bedBugQ

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 18 2016 11:40:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, after completely tearing my apartment apart yesterday (literally, I wish you could see this fucking disaster) cleaning and de-cluttering because I am going to relay down a new layer of DE today, trying to find the source of these goddamn bed bugs whether it was in our apartment or coming from neighbors I finally found two nests in two different closets of our small apartment. I haven't found any anywhere else. I quickly vaccumed them up throughly and disposed of them quickly in a sealed bag in the alley. I sprayed alcohol which I know is more of a contact killer but I was just grossed out.. (Let it dry) And then some "Hot Shot bed bug and flea killer" the maintance man gave me where the nests were yesterday.

As of now my apartment is completely upside down and torn apart waiting to relay down this new DE.. I have a baby coming
    In 8 weeks.. I'm so upset. at this point, If i had the money i'd move because all my shit is already packed up and I'd say fuck the mattress and dispose of it properly, wash and dry ALL of our clothes AGAIN in hot temp and get the fuck out of here... But that's too good to be true.. So now

9. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 18 2016 16:08:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Well done for finding the 2 nests. Hopefully you have got rid of the main offenders. There may be a few stranglers. Hopefully they are not coming from next door. You will need to ask them. At least being a reactor to the bites, though unpleasant, means you will know the problem. Alcohol is flammable so if you really have to use it you need to mix it with Murphy's soap and some water. Google murphy's soap on this site and you should find the exact quantities. Don't put the DE on too thickly. It needs to be a light dusting. You need to wear a mask when you put it down. If you have access to a steamer then steaming would be very effective to use on the mattress and bed frame and inside the bed frame and headboard. If you have not put the DE down yet steam the carpet or the floor. As well. This is heavy work so you need someone to help you as you are in the late stages of pregnancy You need to keep an eye on the couch too. Check under the dust cover of the couch. Good luck

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,683 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982