(12 posts)
  1. Bloodsucker9000

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 11 2018 1:47:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Stae of Maine

My aunt and uncle moved me into this place as I needed to be closer to work. I was just starting out my new job as the roofing season was just picking up. They found people on craigslist looking to rent out a bedroom for a roomate. I am now that roomate.

I moved in around the end of February and I desperately needed a place. I checked things out and everything seemed kosher, room was spotless and the house was clean. The weekend I moved in everything was fine, I ended up staying out of town for about 3 days because I could not find a ride home from work. When I eventually made my way back to my new home I noticed my bag of doritos was ripped to shred (mouse) and thought it was odd so I immediately did a thorough investigation of the room.

This is what I found:

I brought this up to my roomate and he said they were ticks , I called him on his bullsh*t and told him they were bed bugs and to not lie to me. He then replied that he knew they were bed bugs and had treated for them and thought they were gone.

I advised him that he NEEDS to do something about it , and respectfully requested that he replace any of my belongings that had gotten infested. I am relatively poor , 25 years old and have had to start my life over more times than I can count. Losing all of my possessions for the 5th time is just something I can not handle. I also ended up losing my job because I got rides to and from work from my boss , and I had to inform him of my situation. He fired me for it. Being an under the table job ... I can't do nothing about that.

Here we are midway through May , my roomate has (supposedly) post-poned bed bug treatment twice now. He simply lacks the ambition to clean the house and do his part. Currently , I live in an almost empty bedroom. My bed frame legs are in vegetable oil , I've siliconed every crack and crevice I could find in my room. I've went out and purchased my own bed bug treatment spray (HotShot) to do my own treatment. None of my methods have done anything for me. Somehow bed bugs are still getting to me at night.

I've caught 1 bedbug in my oil traps on the legs of my frame. Tonight i was just about asleep and feltsomething crawling on my arm , so I grabbed my LED flashlight that i sleep with at night to hopefully catch the culprit. I saw 3 huuuuge bedbugs. I put them in a mason jar so i could give them the most inhumane death possible , suffocation. This is how I kill the bugs I kill the bugs I find. Plus it allows me to keep evidense in case someday some how I acquire the funds to take this guy to court for what he has done to me.

I brought up the bed bug situation 3 nights ago and he said to me "get out of the house , you're clearly no longer loyal to me therefore I have no use for you.. You have 15 minutes to pack your things and begone"

I told him I have rights and that he could call the sheriff and they would tell him the same , he then told me I have 30 days. Then the next morning said he was just frustrated and that he didn't mean it. Either way , the bed bug problem still persists. Here I am wide awake at 1:40am and can not sleep now. I have work in less than 6 hours and have been up since 5am yesterday morning.

What can i do to keep the bed bugs away from me?

Recap:
    - Bed frame legs in oil
    - I have just a fitted sheet on my bed , and sleep with 1 blanket and make sure it doesn't even hang over the side of my bed
    - I wash my sheets , blankets , pillow cases daily and dry on high heat
    - I dry my pillows daily
    - While linens in laundry I wipe down my bed frame with rubbing alcohol
    - When clothes are cleaned i store them in trash bags right from the dryer , and then seal the trash bags in a plastic tote which i then seal with clear tape
    - I have a new bed bug protector bed fitting thing that enclosed my bed

How can i kill any bugs / eggs that may be present on the bed somewhere so that i can sleep in peace? How can i prevent bugs from getting to me in my sleep. Are they jumping down on me from the ceiling?

I wish it was as easy as moving , but I live with roomates because I am poor unfortunately. I hate to be in this situation , It's literally driving me nuts and I'm slowly losing my sanity over these pesky things. Also , my roomates are not putting in any amount of effort , so even if exterminator comes through ... i highly doubt it will do much good with the clutter throughout the house.

BTW , my roomate is Fire Dept / EMS . Real cool huh?

2. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 11 2018 4:13:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't bother with HotShot. It's garbage and will just make the bed bugs scatter.

Are you a roommate in a house or an apartment? I noticed you're in the state of Maine. I found these bed bug laws via a google search, however you might want to contact your local tenant rights group to figure out what your rights are so that you can arm yourself with them if your roommate continues to be a massive dick.

If you can afford it, I would buy Cimexa. It has static-cling properties and works by sticking to the insects and drying them out. It has a high success rate in killing bed bugs (and most other bugs) in roughly 2-3 days so long as the bed bugs actually walk across it. It is also very drying for humans - so don't go overboard with it, otherwise you'll dry out your eyes and skin. Try to avoid breathing in the dust as well. It's otherwise very safe if you follow the label instructions. If you can afford to get have a bellows duster or a 1-inch paint brush, that can help you apply it.

Make sure to pull your bed away from the walls as bed bugs can climb. I read that if the infestation is bad enough, they can wind up dropping on you from above, but that means they need to scurry and hide somewhere after they're done feeding on you.

I would create a perimeter around the baseboards of your room with the Cimexa, and dust it into the cracks and crevices of your bed frame (ESPECIALLY if your bed frame is made of wood instead of metal. Metal bed frames are better, but they can still hide in the cracks of them.) If you have a box spring and you cannot encase your box spring, I would rip open the bottom and check to see if they are harboring inside of it. Then dust the cracks and crevices of your box spring with Cimexa. You can also place Cimexa between the box spring and your mattress.

Don't use too much Cimexa - you only need a thin, barely visible layer. If the bed bugs have to wade through it in their attempt to get to you, they'll just avoid the Cimexa instead. Hopefully that should help a little bit - though I don't know if it will kill all of them if your roommates also have bed bugs, but just aren't reacting to bites and thus don't care - which is why knowing what your rights are is important.

3. Bloodsucker9000

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 11 2018 11:11:25
    #

Login to Send PM

LittleRin - 6 hours ago  » 
    Don't bother with HotShot. It's garbage and will just make the bed bugs scatter.
    Are you a roommate in a house or an apartment? I noticed you're in the state of Maine. I found these bed bug laws via a google search, however you might want to contact your local tenant rights group to figure out what your rights are so that you can arm yourself with them if your roommate continues to be a massive dick.
    If you can afford it, I would buy Cimexa. It has static-cling properties and works by sticking to the insects and drying them out. It has a high success rate in killing bed bugs (and most other bugs) in roughly 2-3 days so long as the bed bugs actually walk across it. It is also very drying for humans - so don't go overboard with it, otherwise you'll dry out your eyes and skin. Try to avoid breathing in the dust as well. It's otherwise very safe if you follow the label instructions. If you can afford to get have a bellows duster or a 1-inch paint brush, that can help you apply it.
    Make sure to pull your bed away from the walls as bed bugs can climb. I read that if the infestation is bad enough, they can wind up dropping on you from above, but that means they need to scurry and hide somewhere after they're done feeding on you.
    I would create a perimeter around the baseboards of your room with the Cimexa, and dust it into the cracks and crevices of your bed frame (ESPECIALLY if your bed frame is made of wood instead of metal. Metal bed frames are better, but they can still hide in the cracks of them.) If you have a box spring and you cannot encase your box spring, I would rip open the bottom and check to see if they are harboring inside of it. Then dust the cracks and crevices of your box spring with Cimexa. You can also place Cimexa between the box spring and your mattress.
    Don't use too much Cimexa - you only need a thin, barely visible layer. If the bed bugs have to wade through it in their attempt to get to you, they'll just avoid the Cimexa instead. Hopefully that should help a little bit - though I don't know if it will kill all of them if your roommates also have bed bugs, but just aren't reacting to bites and thus don't care - which is why knowing what your rights are is important.

Thanks for the info , I have ordered diatomaceous earth and if that does not work i shall try what you mentioned. Although my research shows they are the same thing. My bed is in the middle of my room , I am thinking of hanging a sheet from my cieling and draping it over my bed so that even if bed bugs try to jump down on me they will just be diverted to the outside perimeter of my bed and possibly land in diatomaceous earth. I will stop with the HotShot treatment if it does not work... The label says it kills bedbugs and eggs on contact and residue lingers. I will keep up with my efforts. We shall see if an exterminator actually comes through. If and when they do , they will love my room

4. Bloodsucker9000

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 11 2018 11:12:30
    #

Login to Send PM

<quote>LittleRin - 6 hours ago  » 
    Don't use too much Cimexa - you only need a thin, barely visible layer. If the bed bugs have to wade through it in their attempt to get to you, they'll just avoid the Cimexa instead. Hopefully that should help a little bit - though I don't know if it will kill all of them if your roommates also have bed bugs, but just aren't reacting to bites and thus don't care - which is why knowing what your rights are is important.</quote>

Thanks for the info , I have ordered diatomaceous earth and if that does not work i shall try what you mentioned. Although my research shows they are the same thing. My bed is in the middle of my room , I am thinking of hanging a sheet from my cieling and draping it over my bed so that even if bed bugs try to jump down on me they will just be diverted to the outside perimeter of my bed and possibly land in diatomaceous earth. I will stop with the HotShot treatment if it does not work... The label says it kills bedbugs and eggs on contact and residue lingers. I will keep up with my efforts. We shall see if an exterminator actually comes through. If and when they do , they will love my room

5. Bloodsucker9000

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 11 2018 11:13:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I tried quoting littlerin , but the post would not send

Thanks for the info , I have ordered diatomaceous earth and if that does not work i shall try what you mentioned. Although my research shows they are the same thing.

My bed is in the middle of my room , I am thinking of hanging a sheet from my ceiling and draping it over my bed so that even if bed bugs try to jump down on me they will just be diverted to the outside perimeter of my bed and possibly land in diatomaceous earth.

I will stop with the HotShot treatment if it does not work... The label says it kills bedbugs and eggs on contact and residue lingers. I will keep up with my efforts. We shall see if an exterminator actually comes through. If and when they do , they will love my room

6. hidingbugs

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 11 2018 16:46:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I recommend cimexa rather than diatomaceous earth. I don’t remember accurately, but DE takes much longer to kill bed bugs, something like 10 days, and it’s possibly that bed bugs can lay eggs in that time. Cimexa usually kills in 24-48 hours.

http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/

Make-up brush works also very well with dusts. I think I like it more than bulb duster. It uses less dust and it doesn’t blow it to air for many hour.

Cimexa and diatomaceous earth are not the same thing.

7. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 11 2018 16:57:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Cimexa and DE are definitely not the same thing and most folks strongly recommend Cimexa over DE these days. It's been shown to kill bed bugs faster and more efficiently.

8. Bloodsucker9000

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 11 2018 18:03:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for that info , i shall order some now and hope for the best. Are there any other tips yall can give me? I'm really trying to keep the bed bugs out of my bed and also get the ones in/on my bed gone

9. micachica

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 11 2018 18:15:18
    #

Login to Send PM

There are climb up interceptors that you can put under the feet of your bed posts. They catch any bug trying to crawl in or out of your bed. Look up the pros and cons of isolating your bed on this forum to see what works best for you.

10. Bugsareicky

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 11 2018 18:47:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd take the suggestions above for temporary comfort (maybe use some mattress and box spring encasements too if you can afford them) and start looking for another cheap place to stay. Save your money for treating your items, and rent elsewhere. Don't spend too much treating another guy's problem if he doesn't even care. Trying to get rid of the bedbugs completely is going to be impossible if the roommates don't care and cooperate. My advice would be to get the roommate on board 100%, or get out. You're fighting a losing battle otherwise.

also - stop scratching those bites. For one thing it only makes them itch more, and for another, you'll end up with really bad scarring. Get some cream for them, and try your best to leave them alone.

11. Bloodsucker9000

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat May 12 2018 1:22:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm trying my hardest to not scratch them. I did a super deep clean of my bedroom today and spoke to my roommates yet again. We got some serious cleaning done in the living room and kitchen. Got a lot of clutter removed. Tomorrow I have the day off and plan to tackle more of the issue along with caulking the rest of the cracks in the kitchen and living room. During this time they shall be cleaning there room. I've offered to help as much as I can.

They will be moving out not to long from now and if i can contain the house of bugs... I would like to make it my own. I am not currently on the lease , but I do know the landlord and I'm fairly certain I could take over payments and continue living here on my own. I just finally landed another job and can start getting back on my feet. I'm trying to stay optimistic about everything.

I cleaned my bed frame today , along with all sheets and pillowcases. One thing I have been neglecting from the get go is my goose feather pillows. I've had 4 on my bed... Today I washed and dried all 4 in hot water and high heat separately . I'm sleeping with just 1 and hope that everything else I've done will allow me to sleep soundly.

I need to get back to a routine of going to bed at 9-10 and waking up at 5-530 and I simply cannot do that if I am tossing n turning , scratching and fighting bed bugs. I gotta be comfortable to sleep otherwise my mind goes nuts.

Thanks for all the tips , I shall update tomorrow morning on whether I get bit tonight and again tomorrow night on progress made throughout the house. This forum is a blessing

12. Bloodsucker9000

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue May 15 2018 0:18:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't seen any in my bed since my last reply to this thread , but i still feel like i'm being bitten as i'm still itchy. Got tomorrow off so i plan to do another sweep of my bedroom and see if i can spot any

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,567 posts in 46,605 topics over 142 months by 20,555 of 21,422 members. Latest: tjg, jm1985, Me33