Bed bug photo ID. Please help [a: booklice and bug nymph— possibly a bed bug]

(12 posts)
  1. BarryBBB

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 26 2018 10:19:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm pretty sure I have bed bugs. Have been getting itchy bites lately. No idea how I got them. Found what I believe to be a bedbug by my window. Did some inspecting around the area and found what I believe to be some early stage bedbugs. I took some photos and short videos. Trying to embed (if it doesn't work, full links below):

nymph? by Barry B, on Flickr

under tape by Barry B, on Flickr

by window corner by Barry B, on Flickr

nymph? by Barry B, on Flickr

under tape by Barry B, on Flickr

Photos:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/158504060@N02/29775131868/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/158504060@N02/41837387390/
    (Please note this second one is squished a little under a piece of tape which looks like it has colouring on its back).

Videos:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/158504060@N02/29783346998/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/158504060@N02/43598083662/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/158504060@N02/29775016158/

Please help!

Barry BB (not my real name...)

2. BarryBBB

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 26 2018 10:21:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Please note the first two are photos, the last three are videos.

Please watch the first video as I was able to get quite a few in different stages using a USB microscope camera I happen to have. It gets into focus in the first three seconds (the image on the embed suggests it's fuzzy but it's not). Thanks!

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 27 2018 7:08:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Booklouse and a nymph, but doesn't look like a bed bug but a different bug species.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. BarryBBB

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 27 2018 12:02:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much, Lou. I really appreciate the ID. Also, I've been reading posts on these forums. Thanks for all the work you do in helping people identify possible bedbug issues! Best wishes from Canada.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 27 2018 16:11:40
    #

Login to Send PM

BarryBBB - 4 hours ago  » 
    Thanks so much, Lou. I really appreciate the ID. Also, I've been reading posts on these forums. Thanks for all the work you do in helping people identify possible bedbug issues! Best wishes from Canada.

It's too bad you didn't set your camera to highest resolution and largest picture size to get better pictures of the bug, not the booklouse. The nymph looks like something other than a bed bug, but it also does look like a bed bug nymph. Sorry to say after such a glowing review.

6. BarryBBB

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jul 28 2018 14:57:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou!

FYI: I've attached a few more photos. I only included the ones above because I found them in my home this week (near a window, on the opposite side of the house from where I sleep). They were on and near a book so maybe it is a booklouse and not a bedbug. The photos below are of what I found when I was on holiday earlier this summer. I'm fairly certain it's a bedbug, right? I got itchy bites where I was staying and found this bug in my bed at 4a.m. when I woke up in the middle of the night and flicked on the lights to see if there were bed bugs. I also took a short video to show how it moved (see Flickr link at end) and included a couple of pics of my bites and a dark red spot on the sheets.

IMG_9155 by Barry B, on Flickr

IMG_9143 by Barry B, on Flickr

IMG_9090 by Barry B, on Flickr

IMG_9240 by Barry B, on Flickr

IMG_9144 by Barry B, on Flickr

VIDEO: five seconds to show how it moves:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158504060@N02/29826768358/

Maybe the bugs I took pics of earlier in my home are indeed a different bug but I'm pretty sure the one I saw on holiday (with the itchy bites, dark red spot, etc.) is a bed bug, right? While I was really careful not to bring any home, my fear is that I did.

Thanks again for your help!

7. KISADIDA

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 30 2018 12:34:45
    #

Login to Send PM

bumping for you. I'm also curious whether it's a bed bug nymph.

8. KISADIDA

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 30 2018 13:14:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Barry, may I know which brand of USB microscope you are using? I also need to purchase one to find bed bug. Thx

9. BarryBBB

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 30 2018 13:54:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi KISADIDA,

I got a Veho mostly because I always wanted a microscope as a kid but never got one. Now that I'm an adult and can do whatever I want... YOLO! Can't remember the price but feel like it was below $100. Bed bugs aside, it's a pretty neat toy to have. If you have kids, I bet they'd like it too. Glad that I was able to have it for these pics but note that, while the magnification is great, the sharpness / resolution can be better. You get what you pay for? Good luck!

Not Really Barry.

10. KISADIDA

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 30 2018 14:04:46
    #

Login to Send PM

BarryBBB - 6 minutes ago  » 
    Hi KISADIDA,
    I got a Veho mostly because I always wanted a microscope as a kid but never got one. Now that I'm an adult and can do whatever I want... YOLO! Can't remember the price but feel like it was below $100. Bed bugs aside, it's a pretty neat toy to have. If you have kids, I bet they'd like it too. Glad that I was able to have it for these pics but note that, while the magnification is great, the sharpness / resolution can be better. You get what you pay for? Good luck!
    Not Really Barry.

Barry, thank you very much! I will buy one because nymph is so small that we can easily miss it. My mother got similar bites like yours but I haven't found bed bug, maybe I missed some nymphs in the clime up since they are tiny. Are you still getting bites? You could send picture to PCO to confirm whether it's bed bug nymph. Waiting for your update. I hope I can find bug to solve my mother's mysterious bites. Sometime finding bed bug is better than not finding them yet.

11. KISADIDA

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 31 2018 14:59:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Could any expert help ID the above bug photo Barry posted? It looks like a bed bug nymph. Thx!

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Aug 1 2018 17:43:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd have to say bed bug nymph and have to say pretty plump.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams