Login to Send PM

Has anyone used the Bed Bug Patch?

I'm thinking about ordering it from their website .www.bedbugpatch.com

2. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Aug 31 2010 23:57:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Is this what its come to? A patch to reduce the "levels of CO2 coming from the skin"? Gas masks for all!

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 1 2010 5:28:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I am ordering some for testing today but with my knowledge of bedbug biology and behavior I cant see how it will work.

I would save your pennies until it can be proven to work.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 1 2010 6:08:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Assuming for discussion sake that the product works as stated. If so, couldn't the Bed Bug Patch actually spread an infestation by masking the food source resulting in the bugs wandering to other parts of the residence looking for a blood meal?

Richard

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 1 2010 7:58:06
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a pretty site with a lot if content designed to look important and helpful, and designed to attract search engines. A google of "bed bug patch" today will turn up several press releases from Aug 31 and Sept 1, dateline Woodmere, NY. They even have a Facebook page. So, this product just launched. I doubt that many have experienced it.

The patch claims to administer vitamin B1 through the skin (and that the body will flush B1 if taken orally). The B1 allegedly masks the CO2 and odors that attract BB. I wonder (if this product has any efficacy) if it just relieves the allergic reactions.

Of course the page also offers the following "priceless" disclaimer : "The Food & Drug Administration has not evaluated these statements. This product is not intended to prevent, diagnose, treat or cure any ailment or disease."

Finally, the insect featured in silhouette on the product and site is not a BB. David, this belongs in your museum.

Here's their press release:

The Bed Bug Patch Launches September 1st, 2010 to Combat Rising Epidemic

WOODMERE, N.Y., Aug. 31 /PRNewswire/ -- In recent months, the Bed Bug name has resurfaced all over the Globe. Although generally described to children as myth when tucking them in for sleep, Bed Bug bites are now more of a reality than ever. Residential and commercial residences have reported increasing infestation complaints. New York, Philadelphia, Detroit and Ohio rank among the highest bed bug infested states in the United States.
    (Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20100831/NY57744LOGO )
    (Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20100831/NY57744LOGO )
    The Bed Bug Patch is set to launch internationally on September 1st, 2010 as an effective tool to repel and deter Bed Bugs. The Bed Bug Patch is exactly what the name suggests -- a patch applied to an individual's skin to help prevent Bed Bug bites. The way the patch works is simple: it is comprised of vitamin B1 Thiamin which is dispersed throughout the body gradually after the patch is applied. Bed Bugs are attracted to Carbon Dioxide and use that naturally inherent attraction to seek out a host on which to feed. The B1 Thiamin acts like a mask to cover the Carbon Dioxide that we naturally emit from our bodies. The Bed Bug Patch conceals the CO2 scent that we release from our skin from getting picked up, thus rendering the Bed Bugs directionless to find a food source.
    The Bed Bug Patch is a great alternative to other forms of Bed Bug control due to its all natural and easy-to-use application. The Bed Bug Patch is safe to use on children and adults and is convenient to take around everywhere for preventative measures. Consumers can expect to see The Bed Bug Patch on various media channels including television spots, internet advertisements and social media avenues. Consumers can expect to see The Bed Bug Patch in neighborhood retail stores in the near future as well.
    About The BEDBUG PATCH, LLC.: The Bed Bug Patch was specially designed by a dedicated team of innovators who could not take the annoyance of Bed Bug bites anymore. This team firmly believes in the capabilities of their product and the solutions it holds for those suffering from Bed Bugs. The BEDBUG PATCH, LLC. holds the patent for this transdermal B1 vitamin administering product. The Bed Bug Patch was created to bring change in a revolutionary, all-natural way.  The team behind The Bed Bug Patch are people-oriented individuals and are devoted to the concerns and well-being of your family.
    SOURCE The BEDBUG PATCH, LLC

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 1 2010 8:13:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard,

Indeed it could but lets actually see if it works first and then see if we can find a few willing victims volunteers to see how it works in the field as it were.

David

7. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 1 2010 13:33:08
    #

Login to Send PM

> New York, Philadelphia, Detroit and Ohio rank among the highest bed bug infested states in the United States.

Only Ohio is a state. The rest are cities.

8. Eve

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 1 2010 16:39:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 10 hours ago  » 
    Assuming for discussion sake that the product works as stated. If so, couldn't the Bed Bug Patch actually spread an infestation by masking the food source resulting in the bugs wandering to other parts of the residence looking for a blood meal?
    Richard

The only valid use I can see for this is in a multi-person household. Parents might want to patch their children. Or in an allergic / non-responsive pair, the patch might go on the allergic person with the other person still being bait.

That's if it works. Which is highly unlikely. Although I would love this to be true (and that's why scams work), I simply can't see how a transdermal patch could affect the contents of your breath to the necessary extent. It's your breath that the bugs cue in on isn't it?

Eve

9. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 1 2010 18:27:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Eve: It's your breath that the bugs cue in on isn't it?
    ---------------
    If that's the case, maybe I will stop brushing my teeth.

But seriously, yes, I agree that the patch -- assuming it works -- would have merit. You could wear it and let your partner take the hit, for example.

She: "What's that patch you're wearing honey"
    He: "Trying to stop smoking dear"
    She: "Since when did you start"?
    '
    Richard

10. nancytd

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 1 2010 18:48:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Only Ohio is a state. The rest are cities.

If you're trying to be precise, NY is a state too.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 1 2010 20:14:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I am moving the posts from Anstas from a newer thread to this one, to keep the conversation on this product in one place. The posts below are from Anstas, not from me:

Anstas said,

Anstas - 1 hour ago  » 
    After I began being bitten and asking about how to stop the biting as I am severely allergic to the bites, I spoke with people from states where they use B1 as a bite detterent on a regular basis from a variety of insects including I was told several times Bed Bugs.

I have wondered if the smell repels them or reduces the allergic reaction as someone already posted. But I have taking strong B vitamins in the morning and then 2 hours b4 bed I take a single B1 again. Usually it worked but on ocassion it didn't.

I also did research, and B vitamins are not as benign as one might think. They can cause different behavioral and emotional problems and cures as well, as studies have been done extensively on the effects of B's on adults and children.

I decided to try them and so far I am okay. My question is that usually you can't overdose, (not sure), as excess B vitamins are excreted in urine, but if the transdermal patch is keeping it in your skin it just makes me wonder a bit as each B vitamin has different good effects and in case studies at Universities some bad effects.

They seem to be helping me right now as after discontinuing Neem Oil because of a strong allergic reaction I switched to B vitamins to deter being bitten. Again, I am severely allergic to bb bites. If you google B1 and bugs or B1 as an insect repellant you will probably find people's experiences with taking it orally.

At least there are options to getting bitten while ridding yourself of the problem of bb's. I just wonder how much this patch is and what is the effect of excess not leaving the body as they say. I thought things taken through patches did go into the body, not just the skin, as the skin is an organ that absorbs into the body, such as nicotine patches, birth control and I can't think right now of other patches.

How can they engineer the patch so the B1 just stays in the skin of the body and emits through the skin and doesn't leave the body? Since it is a fact excess B vitamins are excreted from the body? Have they changed the molecular structure of the B1 in the patch so it doesn't leave the body? And what is the long term effect of that?

I hope they really did it and it will have no negative side effects, as at least orally the excess is excreted through the urine. But if they did it in a way that won't hurt people more power to them, if they don't charge excessive $$$$ for it.

It just seems a bit odd that they have a patch that disperses it just into the skin? Am I misunderstanding the patch? Again I hope it works and is harmless and not costly.

and then

Anstas said,

Anstas - 13 minutes ago  » 
    I have been pondering and pondering how this patch could actually work. My thought is perhaps if in fact it turns out that it works, it's because the Vitamin B1 with the strong odor to insects, is time released. In that case I hope a Vitamin Company comes out with time release vitamin B1 to take orally to compete with this patch. So that if in fact if this preventative measure works for everyone, may the most cost efficient manufacturer with the lowest price win.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  12. Sienna

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 1 2010 20:54:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted this because I thought it might work while getting your house/apt in order.

Take the fear out of sleeping...
    =(

13. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 1 2010 21:59:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Anstas: AFAIK, when a drug is administered through a transdermal patch, it is released continuously, into the body, via the bloodstream. The supposed idea of the B1 patch is that it releases just the dose that the body can handle. All that said, I have not seen any definitive scientific info that B1 prevents bites or mitigates the reaction. So, it's too early to say that this is an option to being bit. A debugged bed on climb-ups sounds like a more plausible option to me at this time. My reaction to this is similar to the one I had over neem. Maybe it works for a while, but we must be wary of people not recognizing its limits and putting off the difficult work that needs to be done be you a tenant, parent or landlord. I react this way because I see the "soltuions"American consumers fall for, be it in attempts to lose weight or improve their sexual appeal/performance/etc.

14. Anstas

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 0:28:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Cilecto, I am not putting off any work regarding debugging my apt, and it isn't your place to be the gatekeeper of discussions unless you've been appointed one. I have been working to debug to the pt. of exaustion and physically shaking as one of the many things I have to deal with is low blood sugar. This discussion is about how not to get bit. It does't preclude the fact that people are still working on debugging their home or apt.

You have hounded me after I have expressed to you on my Neem post that I am allergic and don't need to explain this to you further. How much time do you have to tend to your business of debugging or let's just say "plain living" when you are hounding people on this site who don't want to get bitten?

What is wrong with you? Some people can go into anaphalactic shock from these bites, look it up. People who want to stop getting bitten I'm sure are working at solving the problem and debugging the apt. or house unless they haven't got a brain.

Instead of attacking what you think others are or are not doing, please keep the focus on your own debugging instead of telling everyone what to do when you have no idea what they are doing to debug. You are very rude and very condescending when you haven't an inkling of what measures people are taking. Again, body repellent doesn't preclude someone working on debugging their place and they don't need to answer to you about it.

I always wonder when people underestimate others intelligence, as if people who don't want to get bitten would be unaware they have to deal with a very serious situation of eliminating the bb's.

15. Anstas

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 0:37:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Sienna, I appreciate the post and I am grateful for all information on bed bugs and ridding them from our homes and for those of us who are extremely allergic, detterents to getting bitten. Thank you very much for caring, and not just seeing this through the lense "that those who don't want to get bitten" must not be doing work to rid themselves of the pests.

16. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 0:52:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Anstas,

Cilecto has been on the boards now for a long time after the bedbug infestation went away.

If oldtimers here post to warn other people about the possible pitfalls of a "new" solution that someone has posted, it's not because we want to make newbies feel any worse than they already do. Most of the oldtimers here who aren't professionals (a group that includes Nobugsonme, myself, spideyjg, cilecto, and others) are here because we've had the misfortune of doing battle with these bugs in the past but the fortune to currently be bed bug free.

I don't know how long post infestation cilecto and Nobugs are off the top of my head, but spideyjg and I (I think) are both over two years post infestation.

What I read in Cilecto's post is writing warning people against putting too much hope in untried new so-called solutions that may encourage people who are already in denial about the problem to delay the hard work that goes into actually solving the bed bug problem. I don't see anything in Cilecto's comments that suggest the post is directed against you personally.

Plenty of human beings with both brains and some intelligence have come up with dangerous and counterproductive do it yourself treatments that put their health in danger, endangered the lives of others, and/or made their bed bug problems worse. There is also no correlation between intelligence and psychological issues like denial. Plenty of very bright people have very developed denial mechanisms. There are plenty of reasons besides lack of intelligence (including vulnerable tenants who fear a landlord kicking them out) that someone might try to rely on a repellent as a long term strategy when science would suggest that that is a bad idea.

When I write responses, I have to think not only of the people who are going to do the logical, supported by evidence thing, but also of the people who are going to do the irrational, unsupported by science thing too.

This dynamic is also complicated by the fact that most people who've just discovered a bed bug problem are desperate for immediate relief, making them especially vulnerable to trying things in desperation that they might think better of a bit later.

(Witness the accounts of people who've overapplied DE without realizing the dangers of doing so, or the recent spate of people trying do it yourself heat treatments.)

One of the differences between old timers and people still in the worst part of the battle is that most of the oldtimers have a little bit more critical distance. I can't speak for other old timers, but when I write responses to posts, the audience that I'm writing in response to isn't just the people currently talking on the thread. I'm also trying to imagine how people might read that post months or years from now.

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 3:01:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Anstas - 2 hours ago  » 
    Cilecto, I am not putting off any work regarding debugging my apt, and it isn't your place to be the gatekeeper of discussions unless you've been appointed one. I have been working to debug to the pt. of exaustion and physically shaking as one of the many things I have to deal with is low blood sugar. This discussion is about how not to get bit. It does't preclude the fact that people are still working on debugging their home or apt.
    You have hounded me after I have expressed to you on my Neem post that I am allergic and don't need to explain this to you further. How much time do you have to tend to your business of debugging or let's just say "plain living" when you are hounding people on this site who don't want to get bitten?

Anstas,

If you post questions about whether and how a product might work, and someone (in this case Cilecto) responds, I do not see that as being the "gatekeeper of discussions" or "hounding you".

I did see him mentioning one method of sleeping in your bed without being bitten (debugging the bed and using ClimbUp Interceptors). When I read that suggestion, it's clear to me Cilecto is trying to help you. He has years of experience, and he sticks around long after his bed bugs are gone in order to be helpful.

Sienna mentioned a product which most of us heard of for the first time today, and which we have absolutely no information about, outside of what the manufacturer is telling us.

Cilecto, buggyinsocal, and many others have been watching the bed bug products scene long enough to know that simply because something is advertised does not mean it is safe, or that it works.

It may be a useful product, but we need more information, and we need information from independent sources (i.e. people who can test the product under controlled conditions, and who we know are not benefitting from its sales).

So please do not take offense when people are not necessarily enthusiastic about a product. We're all just trying to help.

18. Anstas

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 7:25:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I appreciate what you are saying Nobugsonme, but he did say: "we must be wary of people not recognizing its limits and putting off the difficult work that needs to be done be you a tenant, parent or landlord". He did specifically refer to me as a tenant.

He has already said something like this to me in my post on Neem oil and I'm sure I let him know in that thread that I was taking the measures my funds currently allow, and he went further than to answer my question about the patch product.

He again went into the chastising mode as if myself or others are only concerned with repellents and as if we are not doing the needed work as best we can or our funds allow, be it ourselves or with a PCO. I know I'm a little sensitive right now and perhaps too defensive as this has drained me in every way. But perhaps oldtimers can go a little easier on newcomers.

If he'd just mentioned debugging the bed and climb up interceptors my reaction would have been different and appreciative, but no one on here wants to be lectured to, when they are doing all they can physically. The info he gave "bed bug free bed and climb ups" is appreciated but he's talking like I'm putting off work when that's all I do in my spare time is working at this frigging problem. It has taken over a lot of my life.

And then Buggyinsocal says: "no correlation between intelligence and psychological issues like denial". Again, assuming people who don't want to get bitten are in denial as to the severity or seriousness of the problem and aren't working on it.

Well there is also not an inverse correlation between not wanting to be bitten and not wanting to do the needed work to be rid of them. And as far as Buggyinsocal mentioning people being afraid of the Landlord kicking them out, I would like to know who is not afraid to not have a roof over their head?

I know this bldg is infested, (though I haven't seen a one, meaning bb), and not a one out of 6 units is saying a word, but a steady flow of mattresses and furniture in the trash bin continue over the last 6 or 8 months, and this is high rent Brentwood in LA, CA.

People are trying to solve the problem and yet afraid of our unethical Landlord. I just got bit two months ago, and I don't want to tell this horrible Landlord who will try to sue whoever he can put it on. I'm too familiar with his lack of care to this bldg and he and his mother threatening the tenants to scare us and yes... we are afraid of them.

I appreciate all that you and the oldtimers are trying to do (sincerely I do, and I appreciate the knowledge you all have that I don't), but don't assume people are gullible to everything on the market and that we are naive little children. I'm not running out to buy the patch, unless the verdict is in.

And there's a lot of assuming people are going to take the road of least resistance and just use a repellant because of allergic reaction and not treat the situation. I think for most people to not handle the situation would be unbearable. I'm sure almost all people do whatever their means allow to treat investations.

I reviewed the page again, and I see that he is trying to be helpful (and I'm on here because I need help as does everyone on here), and I admit I am being sensitive, but "you" statements that are chastising shouldn't not be directed at an individual, as he doesn't know how hard I am working at this and myself and others are very burned out from all the work it takes, endless work, time, energy and money.

Right now I'm still in a full body allergic reaction to the Neem oil, near analphalactic shock about a week ago, and in addition trying to deal with this problem when physically I'm barely up to it and not feeling well, and as I said, to me it sounded as if he was chastising me.

This is not easy on anyone, and maybe I am being too sensitive, I am glad you oldtimers are on here warning us of things like DE which I already read about and I'm afraid to use and wish there was a video on how to apply it, so you can see where and how thick etc. Then I could make an informed decision if it's safe enough for this apt.

You are all appreciated, just remember it's rough going for newcomers, and some of us are disabled and trying to deal with this like me with my 77 year old mother helping. Do you know how bad I feel to have to ask her to help me at her age when her health is not perfect and I see the sadness in her face because she sees how afraid and defeated I feel by this problem, and she knows I am physically barely able to do certain things like climb stairs? It hurts very bad, so if I took his "you" statement personally please try to understand how some people might take "you" comments personally and feel upset when they read that.

Otherwise, I get you oldtimers are trying to help, and I am very grateful.

19. uggnobugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 9:06:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Anstas - 1 hour ago  » 
    I appreciate what you are saying Nobugsonme, but he did say: "we must be wary of people not recognizing its limits and putting off the difficult work that needs to be done be you a tenant, parent or landlord". He did specifically refer to me as a tenant.
    He has already said something like this to me in my post on Neem oil and I'm sure I let him know in that thread that I was taking the measures my funds currently allow, and he went further than to answer my question about the patch product.
    He again went into the chastising mode as if myself or others are only concerned with repellents and as if we are not doing the needed work as best we can or our funds allow, be it ourselves or with a PCO. I know I'm a little sensitive right now and perhaps too defensive as this has drained me in every way. But perhaps oldtimers can go a little easier on newcomers.
    If he'd just mentioned debugging the bed and climb up interceptors my reaction would have been different and appreciative, but no one on here wants to be lectured to, when they are doing all they can physically. The info he gave "bed bug free bed and climb ups" is appreciated but he's talking like I'm putting off work when that's all I do in my spare time is working at this frigging problem. It has taken over a lot of my life.
    And then Buggyinsocal says: "no correlation between intelligence and psychological issues like denial". Again, assuming people who don't want to get bitten are in denial as to the severity or seriousness of the problem and aren't working on it.
    Well there is also not an inverse correlation between not wanting to be bitten and not wanting to do the needed work to be rid of them. And as far as Buggyinsocal mentioning people being afraid of the Landlord kicking them out, I would like to know who is not afraid to not have a roof over their head?
    I know this bldg is infested, (though I haven't seen a one, meaning bb), and not a one out of 6 units is saying a word, but a steady flow of mattresses and furniture in the trash bin continue over the last 6 or 8 months, and this is high rent Brentwood in LA, CA.
    People are trying to solve the problem and yet afraid of our unethical Landlord. I just got bit two months ago, and I don't want to tell this horrible Landlord who will try to sue whoever he can put it on. I'm too familiar with his lack of care to this bldg and he and his mother threatening the tenants to scare us and yes... we are afraid of them.
    I appreciate all that you and the oldtimers are trying to do (sincerely I do, and I appreciate the knowledge you all have that I don't), but don't assume people are gullible to everything on the market and that we are naive little children. I'm not running out to buy the patch, unless the verdict is in.
    And there's a lot of assuming people are going to take the road of least resistance and just use a repellant because of allergic reaction and not treat the situation. I think for most people to not handle the situation would be unbearable. I'm sure almost all people do whatever their means allow to treat investations.
    I reviewed the page again, and I see that he is trying to be helpful (and I'm on here because I need help as does everyone on here), and I admit I am being sensitive, but "you" statements that are chastising shouldn't not be directed at an individual, as he doesn't know how hard I am working at this and myself and others are very burned out from all the work it takes, endless work, time, energy and money.
    Right now I'm still in a full body allergic reaction to the Neem oil, near analphalactic shock about a week ago, and in addition trying to deal with this problem when physically I'm barely up to it and not feeling well, and as I said, to me it sounded as if he was chastising me.
    This is not easy on anyone, and maybe I am being too sensitive, I am glad you oldtimers are on here warning us of things like DE which I already read about and I'm afraid to use and wish there was a video on how to apply it, so you can see where and how thick etc. Then I could make an informed decision if it's safe enough for this apt.
    You are all appreciated, just remember it's rough going for newcomers, and some of us are disabled and trying to deal with this like me with my 77 year old mother helping. Do you know how bad I feel to have to ask her to help me at her age when her health is not perfect and I see the sadness in her face because she sees how afraid and defeated I feel by this problem, and she knows I am physically barely able to do certain things like climb stairs? It hurts very bad, so if I took his "you" statement personally please try to understand how some people might take "you" comments personally and feel upset when they read that.
    Otherwise, I get you oldtimers are trying to help, and I am very grateful.

great post. i hope you're able to begin to control the anxiety these bugs produce...i know it can be nearly mind blowing to not be able to rest, always worry about the bites on you (like i do my children), and have to continually work, work, work doing the repeated measures daily to at least get some control over the bed bugs....and more over, their bites! like i said, i'd rather have bed bugs on my floor than in my bed...whew.

the thing that makes me THE MOST wary about this B1 thing is the fact that it's changing the composition of the body. that may be a problem for many people, especially those who dont know what the effects of B1 are on their body in particular. also the confusion of how the thing actually works is what's getting to me....i just don't understand the mechanics behind it?

other than that...of course the spending factor comes into play, many people don't have money to just throw around *trying out* something that's not proven to HELP *since nothing i've read is ALWAYS proven to stop the problem completely...not even MOVING*...

i would definitely wait to see what else comes up from this before spending money on this contraption anstas like you said *unless it's sure to work, which no one knows*...but it's a great thing to research it nonetheless. it might actually work, let's wait and see what research says.

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 13:28:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Anstas,

Believe me, we know how stressful bed bugs can be and I am sorry you are going through this.

It feels like you are taking these responses in ways other than they are intended. That's my reading and I do not want to engage in a point by point analysis (which would not be a good use of our time), but I hope you will not be so quick to take offense.

We are writing here not just in response to the person who asks a question or makes a comment, but for others who will come later and read the same conversation.

Anstas - 5 hours ago  » 

I hear what you're saying. Fear of landlord's reactions or retaliation is legitimate.

On the other hand, without a concerted and coordinated effort from all infested units, it will not be possible to eliminate the problem. (I think you probably already know this, but if not, I am sorry to say it. It is not good news.)

It may help to get advice from a local tenants' organization.

The Housing Rights Center offers

...telephone and in-person counseling to both tenants and landlords regarding their respective rights and responsibilities under California law and local city ordinances. In addition to answering basic housing questions, Counselors commonly cite specific civil codes that pertain to the client’s matter and/or provide sample letters that discuss a particular issue.

I would recommend getting in touch with them via the link above if you want to discuss your rights.

The second answer here suggests calling the Housing Dept. for a code enforcement inspection.

I am not a lawyer but it seems like a landlord would be crazy to sue a building full of people once the city has confirmed the building is infested and ordered a correction. It's costly to sue, after all. But I am not an expert on such matters.

21. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 13:35:40
    #

Login to Send PM

…FWIW, by "you", I was being generic to anyone in a situation. And I can get preachy. Sorry if this upset you (and by that one, I mean "specifically" you).

22. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 13:41:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I said:

There is also no correlation between intelligence and psychological issues like denial. Plenty of very bright people have very developed denial mechanisms. There are plenty of reasons besides lack of intelligence (including vulnerable tenants who fear a landlord kicking them out) that someone might try to rely on a repellent as a long term strategy when science would suggest that that is a bad idea.

I said this because in general--whether we're talking about random people encountering bed bugs or people who have just gotten a bad grade on a paper--that is, the generic, plural you, not the singular you used in the direct address of one person--this is true.

I also said:

When I write responses, I have to think not only of the people who are going to do the logical, supported by evidence thing, but also of the people who are going to do the irrational, unsupported by science thing too.

I think that's a pretty fair amount of evidence about exactly what group of people (the generic plural you who might read this post any time in the future) I'm imagining as the audience for my post.

I'm just sayin'.

23. HuntforBedBugBinLaden

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 14:50:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello-- Sienna. The patch does not seem to cost too much money (about $7.00 for a small box) and so it might be worth a try. To be honest, it sounds a bit too good to be true to me, and I thought that the website and advertisements were a bit short on scientific content. I would be concerned if someone were to use the patch with the intent of protecting themselves because of an allergy. However, I also do not think that a B-1 supplement will ultimately hurt you (its just thiamine). Amazon has listed a more general bug patch that is also a B-1 patch, and so I am wondering whether or not this is simply a repackaging of this other product to appeal to the bed bug market. My main concern is that at least one product listed on Amazon seems to have some rather fishy, i.e. artificial sounding, reviews-- which might indicate a lack of honesty on behalf of the manufacturer.....

Too bad this is a new product and so there is no internet buzz-- which would let you know one way or another. Personally, I would notify the makers of this patch and ask for a free or trial sample-- this way you could try it without risk.

-Hunter

P.S. Here are three bug patches all based on the premise of B-1 as a repellent. My guess is that the Bed Bug patches are identical-- except for the price write-up.

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Bite-Me-Patch-Protection/dp/B000RTJCL2/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t
    http://www.amazon.com/Original-Bug-Patch-24-Pack/dp/B002A3R6DO/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t
    http://www.amazon.com/BuzzEnder-Set-Mosquito-Repellant-Patches/dp/B002AR51LO/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

24. HuntforBedBugBinLaden

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 15:32:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Anastas-- I do get what you are trying to say. You want to stop getting bit right now... Not when you finish organizing your stuff, when the PCO comes, when the full moon is aligned with Venus and Jupiter is in Sagittarius... You understandably want that quick fix and do not need people to get up on a soap box and lecture you on what you should have done and scolding you for not having the correct kind of winning attitude. To make matters worse you are clearly exhausted-- probably because you have been literally tearing your home apart and because you are up all night wondering whether or not in a few short hours you will be functioning as an oversized juice box for a colony of micro-vamps. I also am sympathetic to the fact that getting bed bugs means that you have to rearrange your entire schedule so that you can devote the next 60 hours to hard manual labor in preparation for an exterminator to come and apply a chemical that may or may not kill the bugs off. It does not matter that you need the money and so have to work, that you are ill and have no energy, that you have not been able to enjoy a real vacation in over seven years, that your landlord sucks and does not want to deal with the problem, that you have no money-- the bugs become your immediate priority...

It really does suck-- I completely hear you and think that people should be more sympathetic and less brainy in their responses to you-- it was my understanding that forums were first and foremost meant to address the needs of individual posters. I had a similar experience when I initially posted, and I think that you old timers need to know how you can come off to new posters. I felt like I was being chastised because my initial reaction was to use bed bug spray (go figure) following the instructions that were clearly printed on the bottle. It may not have been the best approach, but in the end, I was able to solve my problem. All I can say about this is that hindsight is always 20/20. It is always easier to coach from the peanut gallery than it is to actually play ball. It is always easy to see the strike zone when one is not actually holding the bat.

Also, regardless of what anyone told me-- I was able to get rid of the bugs. Yes I used DE-- and used it cautiously and correctly. It has been demonstrated to be affective and is generally safe-- there is nothing irrational or scientific about it. It takes conservative application, an informed user and a dust mask. Also, only use the food grade variety. Indeed, I am now putting DE in my coffee to help with kidney stones... Go figure.

Anastas-- please know that everything that you are doing now-- all of the hard work-- the cleaning, the organizing, the bagging-- is going to pay off. I do not get the sense that you are in denial or that you are trying to avoid doing the actual work of dealing with the bed bugs (quite the opposite actually). I think that you simply want something that might help to make the situation easier. I understand. I went through it too. Because you are doing the hard work now, you have a far greater chance of getting rid of the bugs without reoccurance. I certainly think that you have the strength, intelligence and resolve to deal with this difficult situation.

-Hunter

P.S. Yes-- I do think that this is a difficult situation-- people who have not had the bugs have NO idea how difficult, time consuming, and in an immediate sense life altering this experience really is.

--Buggyinsocial-- When you write responses.... why not try and think about the specific human being whom you are actually responding to?

25. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 16:08:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Quite recently I had my head taken off by a group of “oldtimers” when I stumbled upon what in retrospect was a "hot topic" at a time I was at my most vulnerable in this whole bed bug process, and simply looking for solutions.

While a “newbite” here, I have been one of the “oldtimers” at a few other non-bed bug related groups, and know the dynamics first hand.

Yes, we as oldtimers do have the knowledge and distance to be more objective – but at the same time we often forget how vulnerable we were in the early throes of the problem. I no doubt have been guilty of that at times when wearing my oldtimer shoes elsewhere. Hopefully, this will be seen as constructive criticism, because without the oldtimers and pro’s this site would not be nearly as useful as it is.

That said, newbites have to understand that dispensing help day after day by the oldtimers, often for the same problems, often for problems already covered in the FAQ’s – can be a tireless, selfless task. It’s hard enough sometimes to muster up the energy to respond with the basic information, but to add the compassion and sensitivity ideally required may be just too much to ask.

FWIW I pretty much agree with "nobugsonme's" take on "Cilecto's" comments, and did not find them particularly egregious. There was also an apology later offered which to me speaks highly of Cilecto.

Given the emotionality a situation like bed bugs can bring -- while not perfect, I find this place refreshingly civil as discussion groups go.

Richard

26. HuntforBedBugBinLaden

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 16:29:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello-- I do not think that posting here is selfless for anybody. Clearly, people are not posting out of the goodness of their hearts but are rather getting something back by participating in this type of discussion. There is nothing wrong with this.... but, I seriously doubt that anyone is posting because of altruism. It is all much too self referential.

Having said this-- I do hope that my post will be taken as an alternative perspective. I felt particularly sympathetic to Anasias-- I am also disabled and remember how hard it was to deal with this situation with no one to help me. I also remember my first impressions of this forum. My first impression is not how I currently feel, but I did feel that it was helpful to bring up.

Also, I do appreciate Cilectro's response- and do not want him/her to feel criticized by me.

-Hunter

27. Anstas

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 20:24:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Cilecto, thank you for being so humble, I have much respect for you for that post. I am over-sensitive right now and what someone wrote in a post in probably true of you active oldtimers getting tired in your way too.

I think it's admirable that you stick around to help others and that this site has been created. Once rid of these I don't think I could do this. Please don't stop giving me advice. I am just very tired, emotional and a bit sensitive.

Big Hug to the Guys without bugs

28. Anstas

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 20:37:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Uggnobugs, I'm glad you do research too. I weighed the pros and cons with the B vitamins at high doses b4 I started them. Apparently it's really the B1 odor that gets to the bugs. But I did research and certain B vitamins cause behavioral problems in children, and different problems in adults.

Some really serious stuff is affected by B vitamins. I know someone who is a top chemist at Shaklee and I many ask him about B1. When I was reading Univeristy studies on the B vitamins I was shocked. Some B vitamins taken by individuals cured their schizophrenia, and other mental illness, and other dramatic cures.

I can't remember, but I believe I read it affected autism. All I know is they affect a myriad of things for the good and for the bad, and it's also very individual. One B vitamin can make one child tired and another child hyper and irratable.

I'm a bit concerned as the body chemistry balance is a delicate thing. One adult wrote how he became very angry when he began a B regiment and returned to normal when he got off the high dose. Others may have the same reaction and not be connecting the dots.

I'm actually wondering if I have been affected, but with the bb's and other factors it's hard to isolate what is affecting me, lol. I may stop them for a while at the high dose and see how I feel.

I'm not against the patch if it works, but I would like to be informed so that if I take the risk, I know what I am risking.

29. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 20:43:24
    #

Login to Send PM

HuntforBedBugBinLaden - 4 hours ago  » 
    Hello-- I do not think that posting here is selfless for anybody. Clearly, people are not posting out of the goodness of their hearts but are rather getting something back by participating in this type of discussion. There is nothing wrong with this.... but, I seriously doubt that anyone is posting because of altruism. It is all much too self referential.

Wait, should I be getting a kickback? Nobugs!

Jim

30. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 2:35:16
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 5 hours ago  » 

HuntforBedBugBinLaden - 4 hours ago  » 

Wait, should I be getting a kickback? Nobugs!
    Jim

I thought KillerQueen was paying you in Milanos?

31. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 9:38:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Would it be helpful to you, Anstas, for me to respond to this, or would it only stress you out more?

It's up to you. I'll do what you want.

32. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 10:47:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess the fact that people exhale CO2 every time they breath has escaped these folks, not to mention that if you take any kind of daily vitamin you are already getting thiamine a.k.a. B1. In addition bed bugs use heat and other scents as targeting mechanisms as well as carbon dioxide. I also notice there is 0 efficacy or even safety data. In fact someone commented that they might surmise they will be relying on a caveat emptor defense down the road.

33. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 12:06:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 19 hours ago  » 
    Yes, we as oldtimers do have the knowledge and distance to be more objective – but at the same time we often forget how vulnerable we were in the early throes of the problem. I no doubt have been guilty of that at times when wearing my oldtimer shoes elsewhere. Hopefully, this will be seen as constructive criticism, because without the oldtimers and pro’s this site would not be nearly as useful as it is.
    That said, newbites have to understand that dispensing help day after day by the oldtimers, often for the same problems, often for problems already covered in the FAQ’s – can be a tireless, selfless task. It’s hard enough sometimes to muster up the energy to respond with the basic information, but to add the compassion and sensitivity ideally required may be just too much to ask.

I appreciate your comments, Richard, and I do accept the constructive criticism personally.

I would add to what you wrote that at times of great media activity (such as now) it may be even more difficult for us to respond to all of the queries, without appearing to be less sensitive. I am not saying we shouldn't strive for more, but recognize that oldtimers and pros are under a lot of time constraints here when there are more questions than ever.

Quite often I do see a lot of sensitivity and compassion, too. Oldtimers are being compassionate, for example, when we try not to let newbites fall for brand new products which might not work. (It's not to say we don't think you're smart enough to know this product may not do as it states, it's just that we've seen a lot of people go down this route when they are in the vulnerable state of an infestation, lack of sleep, stress, etc.)

Anyway, I am glad this thread has taken an apparent turn.

Anstas, thanks for your words too. Big hugs back at you.

34. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 14:24:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Easy tigers, we have ordered them and I will test them when they arrive. The test is simple.

I will wear the patch for 10 minutes and them see if a bedbug will feed, I will test on the hour for a few hours and see the effects.

If it works I will say and if it does not I will also say.

Happy to play guinie pig on this one but it may take a few days for the product to reach us in the UK.

David

35. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 14:36:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I will wear the patch for 10 minutes and them see if a bedbug will feed, I will test on the hour for a few hours and see the effects.
    --------------
    Are you planning on putting the bed bug on your arm, or at some distance and see if they will find you and then feed?

From what I understand of the product, it would have to be the latter to simulate the real world.

36. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 14:41:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard,

I had planned one feed close and one on the other arm to simulate real world conditions but to be frank if it does not stop them close to the patch I don't think its going to work far from it.

David

37. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 14:46:56
    #

Login to Send PM

From their web site: "The Bed Bug Patch conceals the CO2 scent that we release from our skin from getting picked up, thus rendering the Bed Bugs directionless to find a food source."
    ---------
    Given this, it seems that the patch doesn't function as a repellent, but is intended to work by masking the C02 scent with the hopeful result that the bugs don't find you. So in this regard, putting them on the arm is not a fair test because the bug in that scenario has already found you. Not that I'm asking you to spend the night with these buggers

Richard

38. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 15:05:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard,

How about I send you some of the patches when they arrive and a few well packed bedbugs and you can do a feeding test under whatever controlled conditions you so desire.

Alternatively you can wait until I have read the manufacturers suggested protocol and test it from there. I may even release an unfed bedbug in my own bed to see if it feeds in a day or two so its as natural a test as possible.

However I am more than happy to send you some to play with.

David

39. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 15:18:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Alternatively you can wait until I have read the manufacturers suggested protocol and test it from there...However I am more than happy to send you some (bed bugs) to play with.
    ------------
    Your offer is too generous I therefore must decline and await your alternative.

Richard

40. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 15:31:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Just be careful not to exhale and attract them.

41. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 16:39:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I have to agree with Winston in the 2 last posts of his because the bed bugs are alerting to exhaled carbon dioxide and if any is coming from the skin, it is negligible. At the point the insect is near you, it is also being attracted by heat from the skin. So what effect at all does a patch have on CO2 released from the skin if the primary CO2 release and attractant is from the lungs?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  42. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 17:03:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Perhaps is the "je nest ce quois" ingredient exuded from the skin that B1 purports to mask. Guys, note that this product is actually widely available (google "vitamin b patch" or "mosquito patch"), just newly touted for BB (I've searched for efficacy data, but not yet found). David might be able to pick it up in the UK now.

Wouldn't a good experiment be to have a known reactor sleep in a known infestation with hungry bugs and monitor for a. feeding activity and b. reactions?

43. MyWorstFear

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 17:23:44
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 18 minutes ago  » .......Wouldn't a good experiment be to have a known reactor sleep in a known infestation with hungry bugs and monitor for a. feeding activity and b. reactions?

Cilecto, you volunteering? lol, not for a roomful of Milanos!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,305 posts in 50,167 topics over 155 months by 21,928 of 22,425 members. Latest: xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies