Bed bug or bat bug? Picture attached.

(6 posts)
  1. powderific

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 14 2012 23:35:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Yesterday night I got bitten by what I assumed was a bedbug, killed it and another we found nearby. The bug had been sitting on the top of my desk and walked over to feast on my flesh while I played video games. This wasn't in our bedroom and we didn't find any evidence of more anywhere in the room or our bedroom (though I was a little frantic with the vacuuming and may have gotten some other signs, I did try to watch and didn't see anything suspicious.) Today we had the pest control guy our landlord uses come down and check and he couldn't find anything either. He did a VERY thorough search of the room to my eyes and it sounds like he does a ton of bedbug work. So, we were hoping that it was a weird fluke since we'd just had a few people over.

Fast forward to tonight, my girlfriend found one out on our bathroom floor. This time instead of foolishly sucking it away I took time to take a picture first. I know it's either a batbug or a bedbug and I was wondering which it might be. It seemed weird that bedbugs would be out in the open in a room we don't use often so I thought perhaps they were batbugs. The Duplex we're living in could definitely harbor bats in the eaves (we're in Nebraska if it matters.)

Here's an album with the two photos I got: http://imgur.com/a/t8iSd

I only thought batbugs because of their somewhat strange behavior and it looks like its hair is longer than its eye is wide, which seems to be a defining difference. That said it may just be me hoping that we don't have a huge bedbug infestation lurking.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 15 2012 0:40:55
    #

Login to Send PM

VERY few people here can determine bat bugs vs. bed bugs. This is a question for the experts.

Be patient and I am sure one will come along. Some names to watch for who often identify pest photos here include Loubugs (Lou Sorkin), EffeCi, The Bed Bug Resource, Paul Bello and David Cain.

Apologies to any expert identifiers I did not mention by name.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 15 2012 0:40:59
    #

Login to Send PM

It looks like you have a bat bug there to me. I would need to see it in person and magnified for 100% ID. But as you mentioned the hairs on the pronotum look too long for a bed bug. And the eyes line up very close to the pronotum where a bed bug's eye is a bit extended.

Don't trust this ID to just anyone ... get it looked at by an entomologist.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 15 2012 1:34:01
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 52 minutes ago  » 

Don't trust this ID to just anyone ... get it looked at by an entomologist.

Good advice.

Large PCO firms generally have access to a board certified entomologist, and can have this checked out.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 15 2012 5:51:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Certainly looks like a male bat bug to me. Nice pictures. Due to your location, I think a western bat bug. Since your LL has used the PCO before, does he know of a bat problem? Certainly a duplex could harbor bats somewhere in the structure.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. powderific

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 15 2012 10:37:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the advice all. I haven't been able to get ahold of my landlord again yet, but I hope to get the exterminator's email so I can send him the picture too. I do know that we're the first tenant in the building since he purchased it -- before us it had fallen into pretty bad disrepair as the previous owner died and his extended family squatted in it till it was foreclosed. There are a couple places I can see from the ground that look like very easy spots for bats to hang out, and we do have a lot of bats in the neighborhood in general. It'd also explain why we haven't found any in the bedroom, haven't had any bites, and the PCO couldn't find any nests. I suspect the ones we've found had come out to feed on our two indoor cats.

Should we hit our cats with the flea comb, or are they not likely to be living on the cats themselves? We can't figure out where exactly they'd be getting on the cats. I assume the bugs would be coming from the attic, but it'd be a bit of a trip for them to get down onto the main level where the cats mostly hang out. They do tend to hang out upstairs while we sleep since they aren't allowed in the bedroom, so I suppose it's not totally unlikely. And I just realized there's an old blocked off gas fireplace that could perhaps harbor bats and provide an entry point if it's not the attic. You can sort of see the fireplace vent and louver things on the attic in this album: http://imgur.com/a/IXrqP

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams