Bed bug nymphs in dogs?

(9 posts)
  1. hidingbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jul 2 2017 10:32:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's been conversations about bed bugs in dogs. Adult bed bugs are pretty large, so might be that they don't wanna live in dog's fur because it's harder to get to skin.

But how about nymphs? They are much smaller and there might be enough room them to get to skin.

I have short haired dog and many times after I have handled it I get bite looking marks to my arms. These might be from one to maybe five marks. I don't even have to handle it long, just couple minutes. Marks are pretty small and round, not anything like mosquito bites, which shapes are usually more out of round.

Other reasons for marks might be Cheyletiella yasguri and some kind allergy.
    Washed him a week ago and it helped a bit. If it's bed bugs, then I might have think about cedar tree oil shampoo or something else.

Tried to google dogs and bb nymphs, but didn't get anything.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jul 2 2017 11:34:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs wouldn't be living as a flea lives in fur and down to the skin. It would be climbing over it and getting to areas that are open such as around eyes, ears, muzzle. I've not see many cases of bed bugs on dogs or cats.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. hidingbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jul 2 2017 11:40:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou.

I get reactions from fur, like in back.
    I even tried to look with magnification glass, but it might be too hard to find anything.

4. NY_lady

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jul 2 2017 13:13:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been dealing with a bb scare and wondered about pets carrying them around the house. Family was loaded with bites. First PCO claimed to have found bb casing. Sent us into high alert. Called in second PCO, they found no sign of bb fecal, casings or actual bugs . K9 handler came out for inspection . During pre check saw zero signs of bb. Has me monitoring for 10 days with no cleaning except clothes. Suggested I speak to vet regarding change of flea prevention despite clean check of pets. Vet gave me a flea knock down pill, Capstar, and 24 hrs later zero bites. Nothing found in interceptors or any other trace. If fleas, we never found them on our pets but the Capstar would appear to suggest fleas. Also our bites tended to be on clothing lines and at night but one pet sleeps on the bed. Could we still have bed bugs, sure...but as of right now it looks like it may be fleas. We'll how inspection goes later this week .

5. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 3 2017 0:18:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs are hard to find sometimes...They are great hiders.Usually wont see them or anything from them until you have a pretty size infestation.Just keep checking..If it were fleas you would be getting the bites all the time not just at night.I hope its just Fleas your dealing with but keep checking your bed.

6. NY_lady

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 3 2017 8:25:16
    #

Login to Send PM

We've been bitten during the day, especially before we ditched the old sofa 2 weeks ago. Cautiously optimistic it may be fleas as the entire family saw a massive drop off in bites after giving pets Capstar which kills adult fleas within 4 hrs. Heading out today to the vet to get 30 day prescription flea preventatives. BB dig sweep is at the end of the week after 14 days of no cleaning other than clothes. PCO could find no trace of bb and recommended no cleaning for this time period in order for the handler to visually verify dog alerts. They are strictly no treatment without visual confirm and last visit they found nothing except our bites. They were the ones that suggested contacting our vet as we have been using ongoing flea preventation but some flea products are not as effective as they used to be.

7. NY_lady

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 3 2017 8:27:06
    #

Login to Send PM

massive drop off in bites=one on me but I was also the person treating five squirming pets!

8. hidingbugs

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 9 2018 12:23:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe that’s just allergic reaction I get from dog’s hair.

I rubbed my hand intentionally against dogs bag leg, inside, where is short pointy hairs. After short time I had around 100 red bumps in hand.

9. bugged-cdn

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 9 2018 21:29:02
    #

Login to Send PM

We had bed bugs twice. Our cats showed no signs of being affected. I would also check them periodically and never found anything on them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,567 posts in 46,605 topics over 142 months by 20,555 of 21,422 members. Latest: tjg, jm1985, Me33