Bed Bug Mattress Encasements

(8 posts)
  1. KyleS

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Feb 21 2011 14:28:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I've started a business that sells these things (similar to aller-zip), and I wanted to know what the general consensus was on bed bug mattress encasements. Do you guys recommend them? Do they tend to work well? What other products should be used along with them to eradicate an infestation?

Thanks so much for any helpful responses!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 22 2011 13:44:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Your follow-up post was deleted -- read the Terms and Conditions of use. Advertising your site in the forums is not permitted. The initial question you're asking is perfectly fine.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Feb 25 2011 18:04:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Kyle, RTFB, have a great day.

4. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Feb 26 2011 9:08:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, in all fairness to Kyle, US Bed Bugs seems to be able to post all kinds of advertising. I'm starting to believe this web site is actually run by U.S. Bed Bugs. Am I wrong?

5. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Feb 26 2011 11:06:06
    #

Login to Send PM

6. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Feb 26 2011 11:16:07
    #

Login to Send PM

O.K. So, Kyle, you have to send nobugsonme an encasement so he can review it and then you may be able to pay for an ad. The only problem is U.S. Bed Bugs sells their own encasements, so nobugs may not be interested.

7. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Feb 26 2011 11:30:21
    #

Login to Send PM

toledo - 9 minutes ago  » 
    O.K. So, Kyle, you have to send nobugsonme an encasement so he can review it ...

Dear toledo,

Nobugs is a she.

You can edit your post to change «he» to «she» up until one hour after you originally create the post. To do that, click on "Edit" over on the left of the post, where it says «History Edit».

After the one hour, «History Edit» disappears so you can no longer do any edits.

Concerning the idea about sending nobugs an encasement, no doubt she'll comment on that here, and/or you can send her a PM – a private message – click «PM This User» over on the left at nobugs' post on this thread.

jrbtnyc

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Feb 26 2011 13:42:44
    #

Login to Send PM

toledo - 3 hours ago  » 
    Well, in all fairness to Kyle, US Bed Bugs seems to be able to post all kinds of advertising. I'm starting to believe this web site is actually run by U.S. Bed Bugs. Am I wrong?

Hi toledo,

This site is not run by US Bed Bugs, but by me. I'm an individual, and I do not work in the bed bug product or service industry.

(I am also female, as jrbtnyc notes, but no worries -- most people initially assume otherwise around here, which is fine, as I am writing anonymously after all.)

The Terms and Conditions of use make it clear that if someone wants to advertise on the forums, they have to do so in the appropriate manner. Professionals here aren't allowed to post messages like, "Hey, just call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx and I will solve your problem," or "buy my amazing zapping widget which will kill all your bed bugs!"

The forum carries ads in the sidebar and over and above posts. The site carries ads for lots of companies -- including a good number for US Bed Bugs (this explanation on the Useful Stuff page tells you why we like them).

As the Disclosure Policy jrbtnyc linked to notes, the US Bed Bugs ads (like those from Protect-a-bed, National Allergy, and a few blogging-related ones in the footer of the blog page) are what are known as "affiliate" ads, which means the site gets a small commission only if you shop through those ads.

I very occasionally put ad links in posts, for example in the last few days, as new product lines (like the Vapor Clean T5 and the XL ClimbUps) have become available which people may be interested in, I have posted on the forums about these and linked to them (with the disclosure policy also linked from the same post).

The site also carries Google Adsense ads, which we cannot screen in advance, and the products/services advertised there are not being endorsed in any way. (That said, if you see something inappropriate or dodgy in any ads, please contact me privately so I can look into it.)

So if someone wants to advertise, they can enquire about this (see this post).

I know advertising can be annoying, but this site takes a lot of time to run, on top of hosting costs.

As for the encasement, I do not personally have the proper testing environment or qualifications to determine scientifically if an encasement works. When new products come out, the manufacturers typically have them tested by independent entomologists. So in reference to your comments, toledo, we don't restrict ourselves to brands sold by US Bed Bugs. However, if someone were selling an encasement, we would want to see their testing data.

When an encasement is labeled for bed bugs, it's good to ask for this independent testing data, which should show the product did not allow bed bugs to pass through the fabric or zipper teeth (either in or out), and did not allow them through the zipper end stop, which seems to be the typical encasement's achilles heel. Encasements are discussed on our encasements page in reference to such data.

Whether using encasements is a good idea or not is a very controversial topic, with most North American professionals and entomologists typically being in favor of their use, and the two most prominent UK voices here (David Cain and Richard Naylor) not in favor of their use. It's complex.

Sorry this is long, but I hope it clarifies things.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,369 posts in 50,180 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993