Login to Send PM

Bed bug infested mattress set on fire by NYCHA cleaner

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 2:17:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know what I found more upsetting--her action, or some of the comments.

They are going to have to allow the use of banned pesticides, or subsidize massive heat treatments, to have any chance of halting the endless spread in places like NYC. The government really expects us to just go on living with these bugs.

3. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 8:06:45
    #

Login to Send PM

NYCHA discovers Thermal Remediation

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 8:51:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Arson? Perhaps this the bed bug equivalent of this historic act.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 15:06:35
    #

Login to Send PM

so unsettling - 12 hours ago  » 
    I don't know what I found more upsetting--her action, or some of the comments.

so unsettling,

Did you mean the comments on the blog post linked above, or on the Daily News/Gawker sites?

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 15:08:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Ci -- The system did not like the foreign characters in your URL, so I linked to it from your words and the link worked.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 15:14:37
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 6 hours ago  » 
    Arson? Perhaps this the bed bug equivalent of this historic act.

Hi Ci,

Okay, I'll bite.

I'm no expert on Buddhism, but there is a clear difference between Thích Quảng Đức's self-immolation and starting a fire in a building which could kill other people. I'm pretty sure that would go against Buddhist values. That Ms. Ortiz fled the fire shows she knew setting it was a dangerous thing to do.

I do feel some compassion for Ms. Ortiz and whatever it was that led her to such a messed-up choice, but she still put a lot of other people in danger.

8. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 15:51:03
    #

Login to Send PM

So was this one of those newly franchised Thermapure jobs we've been hearing about?
    Maybe "Labugman"and "123bugs" will chime in later.

Richard

9. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 15:53:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Lol Richard. Good one.

10. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 30 2010 21:25:14
    #

Login to Send PM

After my last post, I realized that the act that I was referring to (I had seen pictures and brief write ups, ie, "some guy burned himself to death in Vietnam as a protest") I realized that I'm no expert on Buddhism, and it was wrong on my part to appropriate this act as an analogy for Miriam Ortiz setting fire to a mattress. My hunch is that Ortiz acted impulsively. Thích Quảng Đức was not "just some guy". According to Wikipedia, he was a leader in the Vietnamese Buddhist community and a man who led a life of serious devotion to people and spirit. His act, carefully thought out, was a protest against a government's persecution of his people (though I'm challenged by the thought that people assisted him or stood by as he did this). To equate Ortiz's impulsive torching of a mattress on a balcony with the deliberate and incredible self-sacrifice by Thích Quảng Đức trivializes both that and the tradition from which it sprang.

I wrote two years ago that people will kill and die as the result of BB. This, certainly could have become one of those cases. Ortiz should not have done this and will need to face the consequences of her actions. Going beyond the "acceptable" and "expected" is a very dangerous place. It takes great wisdom to act in the footsteps of Martin Luther King or Thích Quảng Đức and not those of Timothy McVeigh or Mohammed Atta.

At the same time, I wrote that things might need to turn "ugly" before "our leaders" get it and act. I don't want the "ugly", just the leadership. And may we all be blessed with the wisdom to do the right thing when under pressure.

11. SearchandDestroy

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 30 2010 21:35:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Cilecto...you're right, cannot compare the two. Well said!

Was reading some Pema Chodron tonight on living with fear and anxiety. To summarize..she's suggesting we live in that tender groundedless place where we meet fear and anxiety head on. That that is the definition of bravery. Okay..so my buddhist self says..we've all been very brave! And my non-buddhist self says, "let's find an answer to this problem now!!!"

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 31 2010 3:29:23
    #

Login to Send PM

SearchandDestroy,

Out of curiosity, how is Buddhism with smashing the little m@#$%^&*()-s to death?

(I know there are many Buddhisms, so that may be a too-difficult question.)

Cilecto,

I'll say it again, you are a mensch!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs