Bed bug in a jar vs. Diatomaceous earth

(15 posts)
  1. MaryJaneDoe

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Jan 24 2019 21:28:33
    #

Login to Send PM

So one of the feisty bed bugs I caught in a jar was alive wiggling on its back for days, curious to see if the diatomaceous earth I bought was effective I sprinkled some of it into the jar and left it overnight. The next morning I checked in on it and it was most definitely dead as a doornail so I guess diatomaceous earth does work, the brand I used was Safer brand.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 2:02:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The correct form of DE does work when applied correctly.

The two key issues there are correct form and applied correctly. So often people over apply on the incorrect assumption that more is better and increasingly we see all manner of things sold as DE when it’s not.

It can make for a frustrating time if you don’t get the right thing and use it correctly.

Sadly in the UK one of the main suppliers to the pest industry sells something which is actually the mica form of silicon dioxide (mica as in mineral that works flat sheet layers). This simply does not work because because the required physical properties of the material are just not there. Thankfully it’s a tan coloured powder rather than an off white so it’s an easy mistake to spot.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. paulfoel

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 3:56:59
    #

Login to Send PM

MaryJaneDoe - 6 hours ago  » 
    So one of the feisty bed bugs I caught in a jar was alive wiggling on its back for days, curious to see if the diatomaceous earth I bought was effective I sprinkled some of it into the jar and left it overnight. The next morning I checked in on it and it was most definitely dead as a doornail so I guess diatomaceous earth does work, the brand I used was Safer brand.

I think I'll do that next time I find a live one.

I got some DE from amazon. It does look off white rather than tan though.

Aware of how it needs to be spread not too thickly but still we get the odd bug popping back up. I do wonder if it works sometimes....

4. paulfoel

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 4:52:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm. Thinking if I've got the useless DE stuff then Im wasting a lot of time doing this.

Perhaps I will buy Davids stuff to ensure I've got the right stuff...

5. SalsaVince

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 9:46:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Instead of sprinkling some in the jar, a more realistic test might be to lightly apply some to a small piece of paper or tissue and put that just in one corner of the jar. The bug should be drawn to take cover under it and would be more similar to how a bug would come into contact with the dust in a real world environment rather than having to swim in the dust and have no other place to go. I think under normal exposure, it takes more than a day for DE to kill them but it should still work if it's the real thing.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 10:34:54
    #

Login to Send PM

When I was maintaining a small collection of bed bugs I noticed that some containers were lethal in and of themselves. Whether that was a residue from the container's previous contents, the make-up of the plastics used or some other factor I did not determine.
    If you exhale into the jar it may revive a bug that appears to be dead.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 11:33:22
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 51 minutes ago  » 
    I did not determine.

We found out that if sealed the jar can create an atmosphere that is not conducive to bedbugs and a few days could decimate them. Its how we also first observed biological agents first using bedbugs as a host. We narrowly avoided crashing a whole colony because the relative humidity was so high and from a damp home that the sealed samples all died by the Monday afternoon having been collected on the Friday. It transpired that the technician screwed the lid too tight in far of the large number of bedbugs getting out. Once cold and damp switched to hot and damp as the container warmed it accelerated what we later saw in the home itself.

David

8. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 12:02:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thermodynamics And Your Bed Bug Colony; A Question and Answer Seminar

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 16:28:48
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 4 hours ago  » 
    Thermodynamics And Your Bed Bug Colony; A Question and Answer Seminar

Microclimatology and rearing happy bedbugs.

I once heard some of Lou’s left him a note written in farcal claiming to miss their English breakfast.

David

10. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 16:44:51
    #

Login to Send PM

You just can't find those fancy toast racks in the US.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 16:48:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I assume you mean the Eton ones for toasting crumpets.

David

12. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 16:59:00
    #

Login to Send PM

No, that fancy rack that the toast arrives on that seems to only exist in England. Easily my favorite thing about the country.

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 17:05:50
    #

Login to Send PM

If I ever get to see you I will bring one.

David

14. eko

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Jan 26 2019 8:54:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Stupid question re the appropriate DE to use: would a (white) DE marketed as

- "used against red mites, bird mites, predatory mites, ants & insects in the henhouse";
    - "environment-friendly, reliable and well suited for use at home, in the Stables & gardens;
    - "Diatomee compost considered a potent treatment to all crawling insects, mites, red bird mites, ants, aphids, silverfish, fleas and other pests"

appear suitable for BB control?

It has excellent reviews when it comes to "poultry bugs": is it correct to assume there is no reason it wouldn't work for bed bugs as well?

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Jan 26 2019 12:46:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The problem with basing things on descriptions and appearance is two fold. Firstly it assumes that text is correct and ethical to the product that is being displayed and secondly that the product that arrives is the same as the one depicted and described.

I have seen correct descriptions used and incorrect product supplied on several occasions so you have to be both careful what you buy and cautious to check it’s exactly what it’s supposed to be on delivery.

Equally when your using a few grams per bed I would question the logic in buying a 20kg tub given that I would hope people are not planning on using that much of it as that would be an extremely defeatist approach.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45