Bed Bug Identification [a: dermestid/carpet beetle larva or shed skin]

(6 posts)
  1. Creangel

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 13:03:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I found this structure under my mattress. I've been getting a few very small bites at night that don't rly form welts. I thought it could be bed bugs and found this:

Is this a bed bug egg or molted skin of some sort?

2. Creangel

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 13:04:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry I'm not sure if the picture got posted. Here is the link on flickr

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151687452@N02/3V830F

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 13:09:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Creangel - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Sorry I'm not sure if the picture got posted. Here is the link on flickr
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/151687452@N02/3V830F

You must post on Snapchat, Twitter, etc. because your phone is set to a low resolution and small picture size. It's difficult to ID from this type of picture. It looks like it is a dermestid/carpet beetle larva or shed skin.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. bedbuggin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 13:37:35
    #

Login to Send PM

It looks like a carpet beetle to me. I found tons of them under my couch when I mocmocbed a few years ago

5. Creangel

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 14:00:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah I looked up carpet beetle larvae and it looked exactly like that.

As a follow-up, the bites I've been getting have been single bites that are spread out and are very very tiny. I've been putting ointment and the redness have completely gone away.

The bites have also been completely under clothing and never in exposed areas. Further, there is a small dot that looks like a puncture. Is this characteristic of either bed bug or carpet beetle bite (I've read that carpet beetles don't bite). This is a picture of one of the bites. It was extremely itchy until I put ointment:

https://flic.kr/p/VAMEWG

I've increased the resolution so hopefully you can see it.

Reason why I'm paranoid is I recently traveled to Europe and encountered bed bugs. However, I left my luggage in the garage and have heated/laundried all clothes. A bit nervous I brought bed bug eggs with me somehow.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 16:33:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Creangel - 2 hours ago  » 
    Yeah I looked up carpet beetle larvae and it looked exactly like that.
    As a follow-up, the bites I've been getting have been single bites that are spread out and are very very tiny. I've been putting ointment and the redness have completely gone away.
    The bites have also been completely under clothing and never in exposed areas. Further, there is a small dot that looks like a puncture. Is this characteristic of either bed bug or carpet beetle bite (I've read that carpet beetles don't bite). This is a picture of one of the bites. It was extremely itchy until I put ointment:
    https://flic.kr/p/VAMEWG
    I've increased the resolution so hopefully you can see it.
    Reason why I'm paranoid is I recently traveled to Europe and encountered bed bugs. However, I left my luggage in the garage and have heated/laundried all clothes. A bit nervous I brought bed bug eggs with me somehow.

Really can't diagnose by skin lesion. A small dot that looks like a puncture could be a pore in the skin and skin around it swells. Could be allergic reaction and maybe not bite. I could see the insect picture but zooming to see some parts of the insect resulted in a pixelated/broken image. That's the reason for high resolution and large picture size.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams