Bed Bug ID!! Panicking!! Please help!! [a: fleas and debris]

(12 posts)
  1. Rminerich

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 16 2017 21:54:22
    #

Login to Send PM

About a month ago my 5 yr old son started waking up with a bite here and there. We had just moved into a new apartment complex. Then a week goes by and his back is covered! Bites everywhere! On his legs, back, and a few on his neck. Some in a row and others were scattered. I washed everything and anything I could think of.inlooked at his mattress and found some black spots that when wet turned red. I freaked. I bought mattress encasements for both of our beds. I contacted my landlord and he sent out a PCO... the guy looked at me like I was crazy. He couldn't find any evidence of beg bugs. That they bites were flea related since I have a cat and a dog. But my animals are treated! He payed some traps down which did come across two bugs. He hasn't been back out to identify them yet. But just to appease my fear, they got a flea bath, re-treated with Frontline, along with flea colors. And my son is still getting bites!!! Now they are more linear.. and around his hairline, face, and neck. I have reexamined his encasements and I have found those black things that turn red but no bugs... I'm at a loss.. please help!!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/147652256@N03/5808c6
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/147652256@N03/gd21S0
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/147652256@N03/CyNE1m

Here are a few pics of the bites and the bugs I found! I'm freaking out and it's just my son and I. And I really don't have the money everyone is saying it costs to get rid of bed bugs if these are in fact what they are! Thank you for any help anyone can give me!!

2. misery

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 16 2017 22:13:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not a pro. Definitely get a professional opinion..... however my opinion is those bugs are fleas. Deep breaths and patience are needed! I know your pain.......

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  3. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 16 2017 23:23:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Not an expert but those don't look like bed bugs. Not the best photos but Lou should be able to tell you what they are soon enough.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 17 2017 7:02:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The samples are fleas, they could be causing the skin reactions.

The FAQ has a simple and effective non chemical flea treatment solution. The longer term solution is to make sure that you rotate your pets flea treatment products to avoid resistance. In the same way that bed bugs can and do show resistance the same is true with fleas, when you use the same products repeatedly you select for the resistant ones and the treatment starts to fail.

I have also found that normal head and shoulders is as effective as flea shampoo and less taxing on your animals health.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 17 2017 7:32:52
    #

Login to Send PM

You know they're fleas at this point. The population of fleas might not be associated with your pets now. You didn't do any treatment of premises and only pets?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. Rminerich

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jan 28 2017 10:09:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the reply's!! It's just hard for me to rule out bed bugs with the patterns. I have sprayed and washed and vacuumed. Treated the base boards and carpet with Borax. We have been bite free for four days until yesterday morning. My son now has three bites. Pin prick bites two perfectly along his spine right in a row and one off to the side. I tore his bed apart and still can't find anything. No bugs. But there are blood spots on his mattress encasement.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jan 28 2017 10:35:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Can you explain what about the "pattern" makes you stuck on bed bugs because coming at this from a bed bug perspective I can see any reason to assume it is.

I would also check the FAQ in fleas because borax is not the way forward, borax and roaches yes but not fleas, they can't eat it.

Hope that helps.

David

8. Rminerich

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 29 2017 10:32:28
    #

Login to Send PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147652256@N03/shares/94E220

Those are the bites he woke up with this morning on his shoulder vs his back.There is one that is actually two bites just right next to eachother. Which is an indicator of bed bugs the bug guy told me. This is the second night he has woken up with bites after a four day relief period. The longest one we have had yet. I have sprayed and sprayed. Sprays that people have recommended on this site. I have fogged my apartment especially for fleas. I've sprayed the sprays along the baseboards and I didn't know the fact about Borax until I did check the FAQ on fleas. I have done what they recommended. I have turned his room upside down and can't find anything, except for the blood spots/fecal spots on his mattress encasement. Only his and not ours. He has a white blanket that I put in the dryer to warm up and ran it across the carpet and couldn't see any fleas jumping on it. The one bites from yesterday are two bites perfectly next to eachother along down his spine with the third out to the side alomost in a triangle. They each have a pimple like middle. I'm spraying and spraying and washing and washing and nothing seems to help. Sprays from 'Hot Shot' and 'Jt Eaton'

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 29 2017 11:33:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

But bites close together does not equate to bed bugs.

Worth reading the bite primer.

David

10. Rminerich

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 29 2017 20:23:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I set traps and nothing. These are pictures of the spots I have found on the traps and my wall and on my sons matress. I know the bites close together doesn't equal bed bugs. I'm just frustrated and my kid is scaring from the bites. I can't find any of the little blood suckers regardless of what they are.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/147652256@N03/shares/3Ke474

11. Rminerich

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 29 2017 21:08:18
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 week ago  » 
    Hi,
    The samples are fleas, they could be causing the skin reactions.
    The FAQ has a simple and effective non chemical flea treatment solution. The longer term solution is to make sure that you rotate your pets flea treatment products to avoid resistance. In the same way that bed bugs can and do show resistance the same is true with fleas, when you use the same products repeatedly you select for the resistant ones and the treatment starts to fail.
    I have also found that normal head and shoulders is as effective as flea shampoo and less taxing on your animals health.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

What about these??
    And thank you so much for your replies! I greatly appreciate it!! The PCO the apartment sent out acted like he really wasn't interested in finding anything.

https://flic.kr/p/Qofcj3

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 29 2017 22:12:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Rminerich - 1 hour ago  » 
    What about these??
    And thank you so much for your replies! I greatly appreciate it!! The PCO the apartment sent out acted like he really wasn't interested in finding anything.
    https://flic.kr/p/Qofcj3

No, look like debris. Not bed bugs, not fleas.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,771 posts in 48,891 topics over 151 months by 21,460 of 21,863 members. Latest: SimpleObserver, get_out, Dannie