Tags:

1. bugginagain

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Feb 17 2019 22:54:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

A few weeks ago I stayed at a guesthouse and noticed what I thought was mold on a chair (possibly from guests laying damp towels over it). A couple days after I returned home, I noticed bites on my wrists...a few days later I had them on my ankles, elbows and hip. I've experienced bed bugs before and some of the bites were exactly like what I had before. I did a thorough 4 hour search of my bedding, frame, and walls around my bed. There was no evidence of bed bugs.

Now, 10 days later, I woke to find what I think is a bed bug (not adult) crawling up the wall next to my bed. I grabbed tape to catch it. I do have a photo, but it's small. I also tried to get another photo and accidentally squished the sample. There was definitely blood. I'll post both images. I haven't noticed any bites this morning though.

Thanks!

https://flic.kr/p/SEDSMh
    https://flic.kr/p/2dpZpva

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 5:19:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Only the top link seems to work and it’s a little out of focus but appears to be a bedbug nymph that has recently fed.

If it’s connected with the recent trip there might not be many signs and I would suggest monitoring rather than visual inspection and you might be looking for “needles in haystacks” otherwise.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 7:40:17
    #

Login to Send PM

bugginagain - 8 hours ago  » 
    Hello,
    A few weeks ago I stayed at a guesthouse and noticed what I thought was mold on a chair (possibly from guests laying damp towels over it). A couple days after I returned home, I noticed bites on my wrists...a few days later I had them on my ankles, elbows and hip. I've experienced bed bugs before and some of the bites were exactly like what I had before. I did a thorough 4 hour search of my bedding, frame, and walls around my bed. There was no evidence of bed bugs.
    Now, 10 days later, I woke to find what I think is a bed bug (not adult) crawling up the wall next to my bed. I grabbed tape to catch it. I do have a photo, but it's small. I also tried to get another photo and accidentally squished the sample. There was definitely blood. I'll post both images. I haven't noticed any bites this morning though.
    Thanks!

You could have a delayed reaction to having been bitten when you stayed at a guest house. The mold on chair possibly could actually be fecal droppings on the chair from bed bugs living in it. If you left clothes on the chair, bed bugs could have crawled on them. The pictures you attached indicate bed bugs as David noted, a recently fed nymph.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. bugginagain

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 8:33:04
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 3 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Only the top link seems to work and it’s a little out of focus but appears to be a bedbug nymph that has recently fed.
    If it’s connected with the recent trip there might not be many signs and I would suggest monitoring rather than visual inspection and you might be looking for “needles in haystacks” otherwise.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Thank you for your response. What is "monitoring" vs. "visual inspection"? Thank you.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 11:01:28
    #

Login to Send PM

bugginagain - 2 hours ago  » 

What is "monitoring" vs. "visual inspection"? Thank you.

There are in essence three ways to detect bedbugs:

• Visually - looking for them and their signs , detection rate increases with experience
    • Monitoring using devices - not all approaches and devices work as well as each other
    • Scent detection - usually using training K9 with visual confirmation but some people can also accurately detect them

Even when you hire experience visual detection at low levels and through recent introductions it can be a challenging task.

The FAQ and useful tools sections will help you out with more details.

David

6. bugginagain

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 21 2019 4:32:43
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 2 days ago  » 

bugginagain - 2 hours ago  » 

What is "monitoring" vs. "visual inspection"? Thank you.

There are in essence three ways to detect bedbugs:

• Visually - looking for them and their signs , detection rate increases with experience
    • Monitoring using devices - not all approaches and devices work as well as each other
    • Scent detection - usually using training K9 with visual confirmation but some people can also accurately detect them

Even when you hire experience visual detection at low levels and through recent introductions it can be a challenging task.
    The FAQ and useful tools sections will help you out with more details.
    David

Thank you. I have purchased some monitors.

What can I do in the meantime?

I'm living in S. Korea in a tiny one-room apartment. I've seen two dead bugs...both not adults. Dead, not shed skin. (I have gotten bites since seeing these two dead bugs.) I have to wait for a family member to ship the monitors to me as the company doesn't direct-ship here. Getting info for exterminators here is difficult, specifically ones who have dealt with bedbugs. I'm trying to not get stressed about it, but I also feel that time is a factor. I plan on taking my bedding to a laundromat with a dryer this weekend. And some of my clothes. Beyond that I'm feeling pretty helpless. I hate to say it, but I'm even putting off alerting the landlord until I can find an experienced exterminator. Exterminators here throw fumigation at everything, and I have found that, generally, people are unaware of how to treat for them here. It's common here to be told that bedbugs don't exist in Korea....It feels like a rock and hard place position...don't alert landlord, potentially spread...alert landlord, cause a panic and spread.

Any chance you can recommend a service in this part of the world? (I will also pose this in the forum). Thanks.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie