(13 posts)
  1. pretzelxx

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 10:02:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi---

I just found a little bug on my kitchen table. I think it came off me when came downstairs for breakfast. I have been getting bit a few times over the past few weeks, in the classic bed bug style. I've been checking but I havent found any signs of bugs or bugs. But now I think I might have found one. Can anyone help confirm this??

https://imgur.com/a/0pUAR

Thanks so much for your help.

2. pretzelxx

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 10:33:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Right now, I have a dusting of diatomaceous earth around my mattress that i put down a few days ago. i got some new bites 2 nights ago so im hoping whatever it was just walked through the DE. unfortunately my mattress has just been on the floor for the past few weeks when this started. i already had the mattress in an encasement. my bed walls and windows has soooooo many cracks and little spaces, i dont have the money to really move to a newer place or to pay someone to close up and repair all the cracks. i just ordered a new bed frame, mattress, encasement, and moniter traps for the bed legs. if i notify my landlord, he will come and spray his own chemical treatment which did seem to work the last time we had a bed bug scare, which was like 4 years ago. i dont know if its a great idea. i have ordered the alcohol 99% bottle too. my roommates (i have 2) are buying encasements.

3. pretzelxx

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 10:36:31
    #

Login to Send PM

im afraid of spreading it to anyone else!!! and i dont want to have to get rid of all my books and stuff. i hope someone can confirm if its a bed bug or not. this forum has really educated me on everything and i deeply appreciate the calm expertise of many of the bed bug professionals and posters. Thank you alll

4. Woodrow15

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 11:01:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Very well could be a bed bug nymph but wait for an expert on the site to advise.

5. pretzelxx

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 17:18:21
    #

Login to Send PM

here is 2 more pics of the same bug. i think its a bed bug nymph that just bit me.

https://imgur.com/a/Nw9Tn

i just got 91% alcohol spray. Tonight I am going through my belongings, seeing what can be decontaminated then putting it in these airtight storage containers....... should i throw out my floor mattress? its really old like at least over a decade old so i just wanted a new one anyway. should i put together my new bed frame, mattress with encasement, monitors when i get them tomorrow? is it likely theyd end up on them if i put the frame together in my room? or wait until this whole problem is over?

6. pretzelxx

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 17:23:50
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks woodrow15..

ALso I have a question about plants. do BB's live in plant soil or do they like to go in there? is it safe to move my plants from my bedroom to the bathroom or elsewhere in the house if ive checked the pot for them?

7. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 18:19:16
    #

Login to Send PM

The bug in your pics looks to have large antennae on its head, no?

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  8. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 19:26:47
    #

Login to Send PM

It doesnt look like one to me. But hang tight im sure the experts will pop on soon.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  9. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 19:29:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Could you maybe try get a pic of it in a brighter light? Like an LED flash light?

10. pretzelxx

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 19:59:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank u, yes it does look like longish anteneas...

good idea, i i will try to get a better lit pic

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 18 2017 1:52:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Woodrow15 - 14 hours ago  » 
    Very well could be a bed bug nymph but wait for an expert on the site to advise.

No, not a bed bug nymph, but an anthocorid bug nymph.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 18 2017 1:53:40
    #

Login to Send PM

pretzelxx - 8 hours ago  » 
    thanks woodrow15..
    ALso I have a question about plants. do BB's live in plant soil or do they like to go in there? is it safe to move my plants from my bedroom to the bathroom or elsewhere in the house if ive checked the pot for them?

Don't concern yourself with bed bugs on this one. This is a nymph of one of the minute pirate bugs. They can be on plants, but they are predaceous and feed on other insects. Sometimes these will taste you, but this is not feeding.

13. pretzelxx

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 18 2017 8:11:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for identifying that. I read that they also bite humans in late summer which would make sense for my bites. As of the past month or so I do have a bunch of tiny red bites and a few that kind of got big and looked like mosquito bites. I will still take the same bb precautions esp with my new mattress and all, and keep checking and monitering... but for now i am relieved.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,228 posts in 50,143 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago