Bed Bug ID help please! [a: dermestid beetle larva & larval shed skin]

(9 posts)
  1. al510

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Sep 3 2016 23:10:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello! Over a year ago I began to suspect I had bedbugs when I lived in NYC due to waking up with bites several times. After thorough inspections, I did not find evidence of bedbugs. Approximately one year ago, I moved to the Bay Area. I was still getting bites that couldn't really be explained by anything else. I again did pretty thorough searching and still found no evidence (no bugs, fecal matter, blood spots, etc). I stopped getting bites and it went out of my head. However, recently I got a big cluster of bites on my thigh and before that several on my ankles and foot. I again searched my bed, bunky board (in place of box spring), bedding, frame, and found nothing. I also cleaned and inspected my night stand, and lo and behold, I found a live bug. I smooshed it and took a photo. Then I found a very tiny speck on the wall that didn't look like a bug to me until I took a photo, it's definitely a bug. And THEN I was doing laundry, and found another speck that also seems to be a bug. I've attached photos here, I know they aren't the best quality but hopefully they can provide someone with expertise of a clue! Can someone please tell me if these appear to be bedbugs? I am also attaching a photo of something I found under my couch cushion which looks like it could be a bedbug skin?

Thanks so much for any info/ideas you have!!

2. al510

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2016 1:00:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Update- I was doing laundry and washed my mattress cover and discovered what I think must be bed bug fecal spots. Ughhh I don't know what else it could be. I'm attaching photos. I also have a memory foam mattress topper which has a dark shading on the side of the bed where I sleep. I'm guess that is the fecal staining as well? I couldn't find any pics online of fecal staining on memory foam. There are dark spots all over my mattress cover, and the photo is of one that I cut open with scissors and can see inside. Aw man. It's 11:00pm so I can't do anything right now but I guess tomorrow I should call my landlord and/or pest control. Not sure which I should do first, and I know extermination is expensive and I can't really afford it. Also I'm sure my landlords won't be to thrilled about this either. If anyone in the Bay Area has any leads on how to handle it that would be great. Thanks!

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2016 5:49:36
    #

Login to Send PM

It's too bad your photos are low resolution and small sized. Trying to view an insect by zooming in the photo just doesn't work. The first insect looks like a dermestid beetle larva, most likely a species of Anthrenus. The 2nd looks like a shed skin of a beetle larva. The 3rd picture (a square shape) of what looks like an insect on light wood is interesting but due to the photo quality I can't say much about it. Is it possible to get another picture following guidelines outlined below? 4th picture is debris. So far, nothing really is bed bug related.
    Pictures of insects and identification often requires the settings to be highest resolution and larges picture size. It also requires that you get as close as possible to the subject and take a focused picture. Yours are in focus, but it's difficult to zoom in on the insect in the picture without it breaking up.
    The stains on the fabric are stains. Don't know if I would really ID as bed bug related.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. al510

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2016 10:47:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for your response!! I will try to take pictures again using those guidelines, and I'll post again.

5. al510

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2016 17:50:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok so I still had difficulty getting high quality photos, but I think these may be better:

Bug 1

Bug 1 again

Bug 2

Bug 2 again

I also noticed some black spots on my wooden floor and was wondering if experts think these look like fecal spots?

Fecal 1

Fecal 2

Thanks so much for your help!!!

6. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2016 20:22:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Nothing fecal or bedbug related.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  7. al510

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2016 21:03:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Really? Well that is great news! Thank you!!!

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2016 21:56:26
    #

Login to Send PM

al510,
    Please spend a little time looking at these photos of show bed bugs at every life stage.

They don't actually look anything like your samples, and it may help you to better identify them should you encounter one (but we hope you won't).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. al510

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2016 22:22:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! Yeah, believe it or not I did spend many hours looking at pictures, etc. I realize now they look quite different. I guess I just got myself paranoid and then convinced myself I was seeing evidence like the spots. I still don't know what the spots on my mattress pad could be. There are little black spots embedded in the mattress pad all over. But I'm beginning to think maybe it's mold.

Anyways, thanks so much for your help!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,306 posts in 50,168 topics over 155 months by 21,929 of 22,426 members. Latest: MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo