1. magbo500

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed May 4 2016 12:43:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I took these pictures about a week ago.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t35.0-12/13106738_10209383691453510_982092642_o.jpg?oh=c71f08f81a2fa43b551b4117b42960da&oe=572C09A6

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t35.0-12/13106634_10209389992411030_224821592_o.jpg?oh=b65dfae23672d1137aa09e7b38bc3277&oe=572C30F4

Found the bug crawling on top of my covers around 2am. Have been searching for bed bugs and signs ever since, yet we haven't found a thing. No one is showing signs of bites, either. It'd be nice to find out that this is NOT a bed bug and that my search has been for nothing!

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed May 4 2016 13:24:27
    #

Login to Send PM

A closer picture would help, but it looks like a female bed bug. And it's one that has taken a blood meal. You might not react to bites.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. magbo500

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed May 4 2016 13:28:46
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 2 minutes ago  » 
    A closer picture would help, but it looks like a female bed bug. And it's one that has taken a blood meal. You might not react to bites.

Thank you for your response! We thought it looked like a male bug. I feel that we'd react to the bugs as we are both super allergic people. My roommate across the hall also has had beg bugs before and got severe welts and reactions, so if they migrated to her she would know as well.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed May 4 2016 14:40:02
    #

Login to Send PM

magbo500 - 1 hour ago  » 

loubugs - 2 minutes ago  » 

Thank you for your response! We thought it looked like a male bug. I feel that we'd react to the bugs as we are both super allergic people. My roommate across the hall also has had beg bugs before and got severe welts and reactions, so if they migrated to her she would know as well.

The abdomen is evenly rounded. The elongation isn't indicative of males. Both males and females elongate and swell when feeding.
    2+1 cimex by louento.pix, on Flickr

5. magbo500

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed May 4 2016 20:16:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your help, loubugs.

Could I be correct in assuming that I probably have a minor infestation?

Our sticky traps have not shown any bugs yet. I think I'll make a CO2 trap tomorrow and set it up in the evening for about an hour to see if I catch any bugs. Does anyone have any advice about CO2 traps, or any feedback on their effectiveness?

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed May 4 2016 23:09:50
    #

Login to Send PM

My understanding is that CO2 traps don't work well in competition with humans, especially with few bed bugs present. Running one where people sleep, for example. In an unoccupied room, it may do better, especially if you run it for a week or more.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. magbo500

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 5 2016 16:39:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 16 hours ago  » 
    My understanding is that CO2 traps don't work well in competition with humans, especially with few bed bugs present. Running one where people sleep, for example. In an unoccupied room, it may do better, especially if you run it for a week or more.

We will not be present in the apartment. We will only have the trap out for about 1 hour as we heard it can be dangerous for any longer. We will probably set the trap out every night this weekend for 1 hour each.

Hopefully this will confirm or deny the presence of bed bugs.

8. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 5 2016 16:59:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Carbon dioxide made from sugar and yeast isn't dangerous. In an unoccupied room, a carbon dioxide source sometimes needs to run for about two weeks.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 5 2016 21:21:59
    #

Login to Send PM

magbo500 - 4 hours ago  » 

Nobugsonme - 16 hours ago  » 

We will not be present in the apartment. We will only have the trap out for about 1 hour as we heard it can be dangerous for any longer. We will probably set the trap out every night this weekend for 1 hour each.
    Hopefully this will confirm or deny the presence of bed bugs.

Where was that incorrect information posted? As JD noted above, the monitors have to run for some amount of time to be useful. There isn't enough CO2 for one hours time of running. Let it run at least overnight.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,306 posts in 50,168 topics over 155 months by 21,929 of 22,426 members. Latest: MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo