Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » How bed bugs are changing the world

Bed bug humor

(9 posts)
  1. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 21:57:22
    #

Login to Send PM

So I walk into Home Depot in Brooklyn. Right in front left I see a large hand lettered poster;

BED BUG SPRAY

I walk over casual like, and the only brand I see that I recognize is HotShot. Theyre selling gallon spray jugs. This city has a problem. At least they dont have out foggers.

2. cctie

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jun 26 2010 9:52:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Is this the Home Depot near Coney Island? If so, what up! My family goes there every so often to shop.

Have you seen the advertisements for BB on the train? Apparently they exist... And yet, before I began dealing with my own BB problem, I never knew how prevalent this pest was, or how difficult they are to get rid of. There really needs to be more public awareness and less stigmatization of BB. Like some people in a recent post expressed, I believe that some day a majority of city people will end up with BB and there will have to be some kind of major action taken by the city. It's sad to me that we're all fighting so hard to fight the BB problem in each of our own homes, only to know that there is a good chance we could reinfest our own homes through no fault of our own.

-Carolyn

3. Ratorja

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jun 26 2010 17:42:32
    #

Login to Send PM

We were at a restaurant in New Rochelle last night and on the big screen sports TVs, there was an actual TV ad for bed bug pest control! We didn't know whether to be amazed, or just happy that it's finally becoming an "open" problem. It's like NYC's dirty little secret. I just hope the company that was advertising are true experts.

4. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jun 26 2010 18:43:18
    #

Login to Send PM

yes, Ratorja...

..and i hope that they showed a picture of what a real bed bug looks like because if companies and newspapers keep showing some other bug that is not a bed bug, we're going to see the problem continue to grow. It's like putting out an all points bulletin and posting a photograph of the wrong person! the real perpetrator gets away or at least gets a head start.

Oy

5. Ratorja

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jun 26 2010 19:17:21
    #

Login to Send PM

On the plus side, they didn't use actual pictures of bugs, they just used silhouettes moving across the screen. On the bad side, the silhouettes didn't look like bed bugs!

6. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jun 26 2010 20:31:24
    #

Login to Send PM

i keep thinking there must some reason that these companies, news sources and even PCOs keep using wrong images for the bed bugs. What could the possible motivation be?

Is there some conpsiracy to keep us ignorant about just how bad the bed bug infestation is by keeping us ignorant about what they actually look like?

Who would benefit from that?
    landlords because their tenants wouldn't know a bed bug if they saw one until infestation is big?
    PCOs who could tell customers that they had bed bugs when it was some other bug?
    Government which would not be secure if a full fledged revolution and gov't breakdown occurred by bed bug victims?

i mean, i just don't understand it.

7. Ratorja

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jun 26 2010 20:40:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I would hate to think there's a reason for it other than ignorance. That would be so heartbreaking for everyone who suffers so badly from these things.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jun 27 2010 3:08:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it's just a sign that people are gradually becoming more educated, but a lot of people are still clueless.

When I started bedbugger.com in 2006, there was a lot more of this. Dust mites in news stories were very common. It's more of a rarity now in the news (though seems to be a problem with some bed bug k9 handlers!)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jun 29 2010 22:53:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Its a very thin silver lining, but I love seeing the names people use for this forum.
    Some of them would make good dance tracks or band names.

I would like to listen to track 4, deedlebeetle by BedBugPanic or caligirlisfreaking by Nobugsonme

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

287,534 posts in 47,910 topics over 148 months by 21,106 of 21,445 members. Latest: odetteamo, nyc-bedbugs, needhelp1111