(5 posts)
  1. bughostage

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 24 2013 10:36:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,
    I have been reading this forum and the bb blog for many days now.

In May it was announced that my neighbour's unit (a studio) was badly infested and that suites below him and beside him were infested too.

I had no signs of anything and as we shared the kitchen wall I was given a few traps and told it was 'unlikely' the bugs would come through the kitchen. (keep in mind my neighbour doesn't have a bedroom, it's one big room so to me, in hindsight, that only applies in something like a townhouse or a house).

Anyway, the neighbour finally moved out, after dragging all his infested stuff through the hallways to the moving van. He moved early August.

Late August I was away for 2 weeks. Came back and 2 weeks later, 2 dead bb in traps in my suite. FREAK OUT. I wish I had done the research at the time I was told about him because, in addition to laundering and bagging everything I had hours of study ahead of me.

PCO came. checked my bed. my couch. Didn't see signs of an infestation. Told me not to worry. these were 'likely stragglers' from the neighbouring unit (which they continued to treat after the culprit moved out).

3 days later a live one on kitchen floor! Barely moving albeit but a live on. Gulp!

So we treated 2 days later. Then, stupidly, the dog unit came 3 days after that. For some reason the company must've crossed wires. Dog indicated a positive in my mattress and back of my couch. (FYI no visual inspection done at the time of K9 inspection). Now I'm officially in Panic mode and sick to my stomach.

Also was specifically told I could leave the apartment after treatment (with Demand CS) when, I now understand it, I should've stuck around after treatment to be the bait. (gross). I was out of the unit for the first 3 nights.

So far the good thing is I've not been bitten (as far as I know). I isolated my bed the first time I saw one and got mattress covers the next day. and have the bed and couch legs in plastic cups with talc.

3 nights ago I found 2 dead bugs (definitely bb) in my bedroom. UCK. Yesterday another LIVE one on a baseboard near my kitchen. What gives? This is over 2 weeks from first spraying. They weren't going to do a 2nd spray because the tech really doesn't believe I have them. He did a visual inspection of my couch last week and found nothing.

The live one I found yesterday baffled me because I had just vacuumed that spot earlier that day and it definitely was not there. I have no idea where it could've come from and that's what freaks me out the most.

They may treat the unit next door one more time. They are going to remove the baseboards in my kitchen and double check same next door.

I want to know. Is it possible the bugs are now becoming pesticide resistant? They have treated the next door unit 8 or 9 times (or maybe more) according to the manager.

I have the dog coming Friday morning with the tech ready to treat Friday afternoon. However, isn't the second treatment supposed to be within 10-14 days to truly be effective? or is 19 days ok?

Sorry, I know others on here have it way worse, but I work from home and have had to relocate and that is costing me around $400 a month on top the covers, on top of the disruption. I'm self employed and have got nothing done since I came back from vacation.

:(thanks for any thoughts

Bughostage.

ps, can't talk to hardly anyone about this. Haven't told friends and bf gets really upset when I discuss. So that's why I'm here. I'm scared I'll be dealing with this for months and I'm already tired of paying $1000 month rent (+400) to live like a freak.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 24 2013 10:55:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its never nice to have bedbugs and especially so when the source of the issue is outside of your control.

However as someone who deal with these issues on a far too regular basis I can assure you that the issue will start to get a lot better when you are able to focus the treatment efforts on the source property and start turning off the supply that is coming into your unit.

Although you may be initially focusing on treating and dealing with your unit the process needs to start with the source and work out from there.

You may get some initial relief through running an Active Monitor such as the Bed Bug Beacon in your kitchen area as well as the source unit if you have access. If you can divert the approaching bedbugs as they arrive it will help a lot.

Hope that helps, you may also want to check the legal status local to you, there are not many places I know where a landlord can charge full rent when such an issue is on-going when its clear the occupant is not the original source.

Make sure you check out the FAQ's as well as the forum so you get all the information you need.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. bughostage

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 24 2013 14:28:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your response David. I have complied 100% and even have it in writing from the K9 handler that I've done everything properly.

I have been thinking of getting the bug beacon (or making my own) and suggesting to the treating company that they should install a beacon in the empty unit.

Thanks again!
    :)bughostage

4. bughostage

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 24 2013 14:36:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Further to your reply David,
    I just called the treating co and they advised they don't use those monitors and they don't have access to any. I'm seriously beginning to doubt that they are experts in this field.

5. anxietyalready

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 24 2013 17:56:08
    #

Login to Send PM

A PCO that is willing to use an active monitor is a PCO that isn't afraid of the truth in my humble opinion.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081