Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bed Bug from local thrift store or false alarm?

(4 posts)
  1. BathBug

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 6 2018 14:51:06
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I am always weary of purchasing from thrist stores, as I hear they are as bad as going to hotels/motels for bedbug contamination.

I purchased an old VHS tape last night for something nostalgic. Got home, and out of the plastic casing this bug hops out onto the floor.

It looks pretty much shaped from what I see the profile of bed bugs to be. But it seemed darker than the red color in most bed bug pics.

I am curious if someone can identify this? It was maybe as big as my little pinkie, so perhaps too big to be a bed bug (I hope)?

It looks so similar to a bed bug profile, but I don't think it had the same lines across the back.

Thanks in advnce for any identification on this.

2. micachica

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 6 2018 14:51:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a bed bug. It’s a stink bug.

3. BathBug

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 6 2018 14:54:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much micachica! They sure looked eerily similar.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Oct 8 2018 6:58:48
    #

Login to Send PM

BathBug - 1 day ago  » 
    Thank you so much micachica! They sure looked eerily similar.

Halyomorpha halys, introduced stink bug into the US. Brown marmorated stink bug. Same insect order, but that's really the similarity.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,523 posts in 46,598 topics over 142 months by 20,553 of 21,419 members. Latest: pestbreaker, TRAY, tjg